Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel Guest

Rams News of Travis Fisher from inside the locker room

Guys, i have some interesting news on travis fisher. This comes from inside the rams locker room (please dont ask where) but i consider it 100% reliable. I have not seen this reported anywhere else, but of course, i may have missed it.

Fisher is the ONLY ram not participating in off season workouts without permission to be away. The only other guys not participating are archuleta (who is on his own crazy physical regime) and the injured guys.

Fisher wants more money. My source is not prepared to call it a holdout at this point, but who knows where it will go. Personally, i would love to see us sign him long term. I wonder if this will impact draft strategy at all.

I think that we can read some tea leaves here. The fact that the rams have not gone public with this info (and i dont believe that bernie, jim t. or balzer have reported it either) leads me to believe that the rams would like to try and use some of the money that they saved under the cap to get a deal done. It would be counterproductive to go public on this and make a bid issue out of it. Negative publicity or fining fisher at this point could potentially create an acrimonious holdout situation.

This topic should give us all something new to discuss other than the draft, it is certainly worthy of debate.

Ramming speed to all,

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams News of Travis Fisher from inside the locker room

Fisher is a solid corner that probably deserves a contract extension, but if I'm the Rams, I'm hesitant to give him one after last season's limited play due to injuries. I believe Fisher can be a very good number two corner beside a legitimate number one cornerback (read: not Butler, IMO), but if he wants more money, he can't expect to get it after a season where he played in only ten games and came away with only one interception.

It would have been wiser to probe the waters of contract extension after 2003, a season where Fisher had 50+ tackles, four interceptions, and two touchdowns.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel Guest

Nick, devils advocate here. Now is a great time for us to sign fisher to an extension. We are getting a good guy whose value is below market based on a somewhat down and injured year. We can get him for a lot, lot less than he will be worth if he has a decent year this year, given what corners are getting on the open market and given that we have the leverage since he is not a free agent. Is smoot any better than fisher? I dont think so. Every player has injury risk, there is nothing seriously wrong with fisher, it was really his arm, not a serious knee injury that affects his speed.

Hindsight being 20-20, if we had the cap available, think how much better off we would have been to lock up dre bly a year earlier.

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

This is the kind of crap that burns me up. Assuming GC is correct (who btw is one of the most trustworthy posters around here), then Fisher has fallen a few notches in my book (fortunately, my book and $.50 will get you a cup of coffee). The man signed a contract. He put his name on a piece of paper and said he would play football for a certain length of time for a certain amount of money. He is now going back on his word and I can not respect that. Now, I know what those on the opposite end of the spectrum will say....but HUb, the teams cut players before the end of their contract on a whim all the time! And with few exceptions, I don't think that's right either. There's a contract in place and for either party to voluntarily not meet their end of the bargain is disgraceful in my personal opinion.

I'm not saying I want Fisher gone or anything rash like that. And I'm not saying I won't be jumping for joy with every interception he makes as a Ram. I'm just saying that as a man (again assuming the veracity of the rumor), I can't have as much respect for him.

I'm sure there are several who disagree with me, and I welcome those opinions. This one just happens to be mine.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel Guest

HUbison, i dont disagree with a lot of what you said. I think however, your premise that "fisher wont honor his contract to play football" is a bit strong at this time of year. If he held out of mini camp, let alone macomb, i would be much more in agreement with your view.

Remember, player contracts are not guaranteed. Thus, i dont have a problem with teams cutting guys before the contract is up. The players go in with their eyes wide open, especially given the nature of the signing bonuses. For the most part, workers are "at will" employees, subject to the daily whims of their employers.

The issue with fisher is really a function of how much he wants. If he wants what smoot got, that may be too much. Why should we pay fair market when (a) he is not a free agent and (b) as nick points out, he is coming off an injured year. However, money up front for fisher and a cap friendly long term deal that provides certainty for the rams on a young player who is good and likely to get better at a discount to market looks like a win win to me, similar to what happened with bulger last year.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

general counsel Guest

In the interests of seeking clarification, should i ask balzer if fisher is not in attendance at the workouts?

general counsel

ramstiles is offline Registered User

thats a good idea GC see what howard says

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Certainly something that should be watched. I like the idea of signing Fisher to an extension, but I wouldn't break the bank for him.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Is smoot any better than fisher?
    Yes, very much so IMO.

FYI, I already sent an e-mail on the Rampagers list which Howard subscribes to asking about this.

BernieM is offline Registered User

Oh, mann! I kant beleeve yew think this iz news! Ive none abowt this for weeks!

Dont wurry! Ill solve thiss probblem just like awl the uthers Ive solved for thu Ramss!

Um... thanks, Bernie... I guess.

I'm not sure I would rank Smoot that much higher than Fisher. Smoot certainly has a bigger name, but his performance has been comparable to Travis'.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I'm not sure I would rank Smoot that much higher than Fisher. Smoot certainly has a bigger name, but his performance has been comparable to Travis'.
    Really?

Fisher in three years averages 51 tackles per season and slightly over two picks per season. Smoot's tackles are comparable, but he's responsible for double the picks on average.

Comparable, but I think Smoot is clearly performing better.

Well, given that Smoot was playing opposite Champ Bailey until last year, he's probably had more balls thrown in his direction and, consequently, more interceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Well, given that Smoot was playing opposite Champ Bailey until last year, he's probably had more balls thrown in his direction and, consequently, more interceptions.
    Perhaps, but even without Bailey in Washington in 2004, Smoot was able to grab three picks and force two fumbles, as well as recovering one. Maybe Smoot isn't head and shoulders above Fisher, but he's definitely a better player right now, IMO.

Let's put it this way - Fred Smoot got a six-year, $34 million contract which included a $10.8 million signing bonus. I don't think Fisher would have gotten that at all. His contract would have been closer to what Kelly Herndon signed than what Fred Smoot signed, IMO.

general counsel Guest

Nick, lets assume for a second that fisher would take 6-7 million up front with as you say herndon type numbers. Would you sign him?

general counsel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast