RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Rams “No Interest” in Plaxico Burress

May 19: Rams “No Interest” in Plaxico Burress
    By Bernie Miklasz

I don’t always know how rumors get started. But in the last 24, 36 hours, I received a sudden batch of inquiries about the Rams’ potential interest in former NY Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress. I don’t know where the speculation originated. A web site? Something ginned up by ESPN, an agent, or one of the NY newspapers? Hard to say.

But I do know this: Rams GM Billy Devaney told me Tuesday morning that the Rams have “No interest,” in Burress. “None,” he said, for added emphasis.

I would have been shocked if the Rams flirted with Burress. Yes, they could use a wideout. But that’s really missing the point.

When new head coach Steve Spagnuolo was hired, he stressed the four pillars of his leadership, the four pillars that would rebuild the franchise: (1) Faith; (2) Character; (3) Core Values; (4) Team.

Does that sound like Plaxico Burress to you?

During his NFL career with Pittsburgh and the NY Giants, Burress has been suspended multiple times by his employers. He’s been fined multiple times. He’s held out in contract disputes. He’s had lawsuits filed against him; stuff involving cars. On two occasions, police were called to his home to check on domestic disturances. Last season he accidentally shot himself and was arrested for criminal possession of a handgun and has yet to go to trial on those charges. A search of his residence led to the discovery of other weapons. And two months ago, he was pulled over in Florida and ticketed for four different moving violations.

Other than that, Plax is right up there with, say, Kurt Warner.

Plax seems to have his own pillars: (1) Lawyers; (2) Guns; (3) Money …

(OK, I named only three pillars, not four, because that way I could break out the title of one of my favorite Warren Zevon songs. If you’d like, add ”Mayhem” as the fourth.)

We all make mistakes, including me. I was an irresponsible (DUI) knucklehead in the early 1990s.

But with Burress there’s a pattern of “mistakes” that doesn’t seem to end.

Does this sound like a guy you want in your locker room to mentor all of those young Rams wideouts? And if you want to get mercenary about it and throw the character/legal issues aside, Burress is 32 and had a hard time staying healthy last season. What does he have left in the tank? The Rams recently parted ways with an aging WR, Torry Holt.

Spagnuolo was in NY the previous two years, running the Giants defense. He saw enough of Plaxico Burress…apparently enough to know that the aging and reckless WR is not a fit for a young, impressionable team that will be built, in large part, on the character of the players.

ALSO: Former Mizzou wide receiver William Franklin (Vashon High) was en route to Oakland yesterday, to join the Raiders as they begin OTAs. He apparently has signed with the Raiders but I don’t have formal confirmation of that. Franklin was drafted in the fourth round by the KC Chiefs in 2008. He was cut when the new GM-coach regime took over in Kansas City earlier this year. Detroit claimed Franklin on waivers but soon released him. Franklin passed along the word that he’s excited to be joining the Raiders and I should have a chance to catch up with him later this week.

ALSO: Spoke with Blues defenseman Erik Johnson. He’s at home in Minnesota this week. Today is a big day for Johnson; he expects to receive full medical clearance to resume all hockey-related activities (no conditions) after a successful rehab following knee surgery. The fired-up Johnson told me that the knee is 100 percent and that he does not feel limited in any way. And the strenuous training has led to an increase in size and strength. Good news all around. …

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams “No Interest” in Plaxico Burress

Well, we know that another thing that isn't a pillar to Plax is an alarm clock... given all the meetings that he misses and is late to. Darn straight that we're not interested. Give me one or two more losses rather than pick him up. We'll be better for it next year.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Well, we know that another thing that isn't a pillar to Plax is an alarm clock... given all the meetings that he misses and is late to. Darn straight that we're not interested. Give me one or two more losses rather than pick him up. We'll be better for it next year.

Hear! Hear! Well said, Teke

LongEffect72 is offline Registered User

It depends on what Plaxico's mindset is. If he comes in and fights his case tooth and Nail and appeals a possible suspension than it shows that he has truly not learned his lesson and it would be foolish for any team to gamble on him. If he accepts his penalty and is responsible for his actions I think you have to give him a chance because he is an outstanding threat for any team and he is tough and that's one thing every team likes in a player.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior. Can the guy change his ways at age 32? Possibly. Is it likely? No. Not worth the risk for our young team.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Ramer is offline Registered User

I had a feeling that this was only a rumor, & I'm glad. Burress would be nothing but a big headache on this team.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

What a shame, I mean really. Burress didn't kill any dogs (VICK), he hasn't been a cancer in every locker room (T.O.) he's ever been in. The dummy shot himself in the leg. Yet he's on the outside looking in. Yes he has some issues with time as in missing meetings etc... But shoot (no pun intended) if anyone deserves another chance it's this guy. Now I don't know how many chances he's already been given but this guy is a weapon and plays the game at a very high level. Not saying I'd want him on our team but I'd rather see him in the HORNS than on the opposing sidelines for sure.

Plaxico needs to wake-up and smell the coffee.

GO RAMS!!!!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Did Bernie really need to ask Devaney this question? Really?