• 1 Post By Vis
  • 1 Post By NJ Ramsfan1

Thread: Rams Not Rebuilding, Fisher Says

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Rams Not Rebuilding, Fisher Says

Rams not rebuilding, Fisher says

BY JIM THOMAS
    Saturday, May 12, 2012

Coach Jeff Fisher doesn't consider this a rebuilding year for the Rams, because in his mind the 2011 Rams season no longer exists.

"We deleted last year," Fisher said. "So we're putting players in place, and we're going to go out and try to win as many games as we can."

Of course, because of a 2-14 record last season, Steve Spagnuolo was "deleted" as Rams head coach. Ditto for Billy Devaney as general manager. It is Fisher's hope that many of the players assembled at Rams Park for this weekend's rookie minicamp will contribute to many victories in 2012.

"I thought the first day was good," Fisher said following Friday's practice. "We saw some good things. Some things that we saw prior to the draft translated to the field."

No matter how successful they are in college, rookies can get that wide-eyed look trying to digest everything during their first few days in an NFL setting be it the practice field or the meeting room. But Fisher said that wasn't the case Friday.

"Part of this process is for them to realize that they're here to help us win," Fisher said. "We addressed those types of things in the morning: Just relax, make sure you're studying, you're focusing, you're asking questions. You teach them how to be a pro, and they responded well."

For a day, at least.

The wideouts

Second-round draft pick Brian Quick and fourth-rounder Chris Givens both had their moments catching passes Friday. At 6-4, 220, Quick looked almost like a basketball power forward going up for several catches. Givens flashed his sub-4.4 speed but also showed excellent quickness in terms of change of direction.

But both wide receivers were challenged at times in coverage by second-round cornerback Janoris Jenkins and third-round cornerback Trumaine Johnson. Givens had at least one drop, while Quick had a couple of balls knocked out of his hands by defenders.

Of Quick, Fisher said, "He's got good hand-eye coordination and he's learning well. He's running good routes already."

Watchful eyes

So what was the head coach looking at and looking for during the first rookie practice?

For one, Fisher was impressed that there wasn't a single bad quarterback-center exchange.

"This is the first rookie practice I've been associated with where that didn't happen, so that's good," Fisher said.

Handling the quarterback chores this weekend are rookie free agent Austin Davis of Southern Mississippi and Barrett Trotter of Auburn. Trotter's here on a tryout basis.

During an 11-on-11 period, Fisher said he looked for poor pre-snap alignments, as well as things that may result in penalties. But mostly, Fisher said he'd pick out a player on each play and simply watch how he did.

"Keep in mind, we've got draft choices here that I'm familiar with," he said. "And honestly, we're not too familiar with the undrafted college free agents, so just trying to familiarize ourselves with them."

Bell's retirement

Offensive guard Jacob Bell didn't fit in the Rams' plans as an unrestricted free agent this offseason, but Fisher knows him well because Bell played his first four NFL seasons for Fisher in Tennessee.

Of Bell's abrupt retirement earlier this week, Fisher said: "I was surprised. But Jacob's had a great career. He's had a lengthy career; very productive career. And I've always admired those that at the end of their career, they can walk away on their own terms."

Ram-blings

Offensive tackle Alex Barron, a first-round draft pick by the Rams in 2005, is participating at the Seattle rookie minicamp on a tryout basis.

Cornerback Marquis Johnson, a seventh-round draft pick by St. Louis in 2010, has signed with New Orleans, where Spagnuolo is defensive coordinator.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Not Rebuilding, Fisher Says

Not a re-build? Wanta bet.

Still need more weaposn--still has to get the Rams O-line to play like professionals--has a new offensive system to teach--and has a new defensive scheme. In my mind thats a re-build.

All in all am rather happy or content over the moves thus far made with the exception of the Rams draft pick at number 14. Not that I think he is a bad player, just don't know enough about him. I did notice Alex Barron mentioned. If your a number one pick, "trying out" at a "rockie" minicamp, its time to hang up the cleats and call it a career as a BUST. Alex Barron is a warning to all teams--at that time he had showed a lot of potentual on the upside, but came in with a lot of known baggage.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

If and I know it's a big if. Alex Barron worked on his concentration and cut way down on the false starts he could've been a stud tackle in the NFL.

I love to read about the competition between our new WR's and CB's.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Let's see, C, G, WR, RB, K, P, DT, LB, CB and depth. Looks like rebuilding to me, but I like the fact that Fisher is sending a message to the team that he expects to win, now.
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.

macrammer is online now Registered User

Euphemism. retooling in lieu of rebuilding. I am glad that he can delete last year from his memory....I am still going to therapy

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Truth be told, we've been re-building for 10 years now.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Vis
    Vis is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Truth be told, we've been re-building for 10 years now.
    So forget the "re"

Time to build.
    Ramendola16 likes this.

Trevor is offline Registered User

The Rams are getting rid of broken, horrible players and placing them with new talent through the draft and free agency. If the draft is used to rebuild then technically all teams are rebuilding but, they are not, all teams are drafting players to fill in holes on the team.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Let's see, C, G, WR, RB, K, P, DT, LB, CB and depth. Looks like rebuilding to me, but I like the fact that Fisher is sending a message to the team that he expects to win, now.
    Absolutely. This is as much a mind-set statement as it is anything else. While it's obvious to anyone who has watched this team struggle that we're indeed rebuilding (yet again), the players have to see it differently. As head coach, you don't EVER send the message that winning now isn't possible. It may not be easy, but it's DEFINITELY possible. And Fisher is right in taking that approach.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.