Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams not for sale

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Tuesday, Jul. 15 2008

Rams owner Chip Rosenbloom confirmed Monday evening that the team has hired a
    Baltimore firm that specializes in sports investments. But not, Rosenbloom
    insisted, for the reason that was reported earlier in the day.

Rosenbloom said Moag & Co. is not seeking prospective buyers of the team, as
    the weekly SportsBusiness Journal reported, citing unidentified sources.
    Rosenbloom explained that Moag was employed to field the many inquiries that
    had been swamping him and Rams president John Shaw.

"We finally said, 'You know what, this is not how we want to spend eight hours
    a day. We need somebody to handle them,'" Rosenbloom said. "It would be totally
    inaccurate to say (Moag) is searching for buyers. ...

"We did not authorize (Moag) to go out and say, 'Hey, the team's up for sale.'
    It's

simply returning these people's phone calls."

Since taking over the Rams after the death of his mother in January, Rosenbloom
    has been steadfast in declaring his desire to keep the Rams in St. Louis. But
    he never has dismissed the possibility of a sale, and he reiterated that stance
    Monday.

"It's the same as it's been," Rosenbloom said. "If the right person at the time
    right time with the right price came, I suppose that you might sell your house,
    right? So, I don't say never. ... If we get a phone call today from somebody
    who says the right things, we would listen. And that's why Moag is there."

Said Shaw: "If (Rosenbloom) received an offer he couldn't refuse, he'd have to
    consider it."

Moag & Co. did not respond to a phone message or an e-mail Monday.

The Rams have at least one past tie to the firm: Marketing executive Max
    Muhleman is a member of Moag's board of advisers. Muhleman introduced the
    concept of personal seat licenses, or PSLs, to pay for stadium construction
    when he was with the Charlotte Panthers. Later, he assisted the Rams in
    developing a plan to use PSLs revenue to pay off their stadium lease in
    Anaheim, Calif., and help with their relocation costs when the team moved here
    in 1995.

Rosenbloom and his sister, Lucia Rodriguez, split the 60 percent ownership they
    inherited when Rams owner Georia Frontiere died Jan. 18 at age 80 after a
    lengthy battle with breast cancer. Stan Kroenke retained his 40 percent share
    of the team. The NFL requires all teams to designate a managing partner, and
    Rosenbloom is filling the role.

In an earlier statement, Rosenbloom noted that "when a team is passed from one
    generation to another, it becomes a calling card that the team must be for
    sale."

Questions about the Rams resurfaced at the NFL owners meeting in April, and
    went further afterward when Yahoo Sports quoted former San Francisco *****
    owner Eddie DeBartolo as saying, "Georgia's kids have decided to sell the team.
    I've talked to some people who are brokering things, and they've told me about
    the price and what the deal might entail."

Although Rosenbloom vehemently denied DeBartolo's assertion, the inquiries
    accelerated in the aftermath. "John and I were getting calls constantly,"
    Rosenbloom said. "We decided that if people are going to be approaching us,
    we've got to handle them in some way. And that's what happened."

Rosenbloom and Rodriguez might be more inclined to sell if they are hit with a
    hefty estate tax bill. In 1992, family members who inherited the Miami Dolphins
    from Joe Robbie decided to unload the team to avoid paying the taxes.

"We don't know what we're going to be able to do, what we might owe in taxes,"
    Rosenbloom said. "We don't know what the overall financial thing will be at the
    end of dealing with my mom's estate taxes. I do know there are a number of
    years we can hold onto the team without being concerned about it."

The most recent NFL team sold was the Minnesota Vikings, for $600 million in
    May 2005. Forbes magazine recently valued the Rams franchise at $908 million.

The Rams also could be facing a thorny stadium issue that Frontiere's heirs
    might want to avoid. The team's 30-year lease with the city stipulates that the
    home venue must rank in the top 25 percent of NFL stadiums at the 10-year
    anniversaries of the deal. If it doesn't, the lease would be broken and the
    Rams could leave town.

The Edward Jones Dome is undergoing $30 million in renovations to satisfy the
    2005 mandate. But by 2015, a new stadium probably will be needed to meet the
    requirement. By then, at least 20 new stadiums throughout the league will have
    been built since '95.

In any case, nothing is changing with the Rams' ownership now or in the near
    future, Rosenbloom emphasized.

"I can tell you this: We're going to do everything we can to do the right
    thing, whatever that is," he said. "That's the only thing we can do."

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Re: Rams not for sale

Report says Rams looking for possible buyers
    By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Monday, Jul. 14 2008

A story Monday in the weekly SportsBusiness Journal reported that Moag & Co.,
    an investment bank and advisory firm in Baltimore that specializes in
    sports-related issues, has been employed by the Rams "to find a group of
    possible buyers."

Rams President John Shaw declined to say whether the report was accurate. "I’m
    not going to comment on what we have or haven’t done," Shaw said. "Basically
    the only thing I can reiterate is what Chip (Rosenbloom) has said all along,
    that we’re not actively seeking to sell" the team.

Still, Shaw added that Rosenbloom "has had so many inquiries that basically, if
    he received an offer he couldn’t refuse, he’d have to consider it."

Since taking over the Rams after the death of his mother, Rosenbloom has
    insisted that the team wasn’t for sale. Attempts to reach Rosenbloom on Monday
    were unsuccessful. A phone message to Moag & Co. was not returned.

Rosenbloom and his sister, Lucia Rodriguez, split the 60 percent ownership they
    inherited when their mother and team owner Georia Frontiere died Jan. 18 at age
    80 after a lengthy battle with breast cancer. Stan Kroenke retained his 40
    percent share of the team. The NFL requires all teams to designate a managing
    partner, and Rosenbloom is filling that role.

onslaught11 is offline Registered User

THE TEAM IS NOT FOR SALE!

{pssstt contact me tomorrow and I will say something different.}
    We will create such an onslaught against humanity that our enemies will take generations before ever thinking of attacking us again.
    -- General William Jauro-Smythe Killan
    before the battle of Tupiero Do
    :angryram:

onslaught11 is offline Registered User

Chip Rosenbloom new conference schedule for this week:

Monday - The Rams are for sale.
    Tuesday - The Rams are NOT for sale.
    Wednesday - I am moving the team to Mexico
    Thursday - I am moving the team out of the NFL and into the CFL.
    Friday - There is no more Rams, I have dissolve this team.
    Saturday - I can not afford the Rams but if you want me as owner please send $19.99 to Help me keep the Rams PO BOX 5432 Los Angeles CA.

Sunday - I give up. Being owner is hard real hard.
    Last edited by onslaught11; -07-15-2008 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Added Chip
    We will create such an onslaught against humanity that our enemies will take generations before ever thinking of attacking us again.
    -- General William Jauro-Smythe Killan
    before the battle of Tupiero Do
    :angryram:

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Shall I just go ahead and complete all further posts? It will go something like this.

STL fan: See, they're not going anywhere.

LA fan: Chip's lying. They're moving.

STL fan: That's BS. The owner said they're staying. The Rams will be in STL for 100 years.

LA fan: Chip's lying, and Eddie DeBartolo says they're leaving. The Rams will be back in LA, their true home (except for the first decade of the team when they were in Cleveland, but we don't mention that), by next year.

There. That should just about cover it.
    Last edited by HUbison; -07-15-2008 at 08:39 AM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

She loves me, she loves me not, she loves me, she loves me not etc...

rams2061 Guest

Once the stadium contract is up, they'll move. I don't think the city of St. Louis wants to jack up property taxes for a new stadium.

moklerman is offline Registered User

Rosenbloom states right in the article he would sell if the right offer came along. No stipulations or parameters. There are lease breakers also. Just like the Vikings, Saints, Jaguars, etc., the Rams are a team that likely a tempting possibility for potential buyers to acquire and move to a more lucrative location.

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    Rosenbloom states right in the article he would sell if the right offer came along. No stipulations or parameters. There are lease breakers also. Just like the Vikings, Saints, Jaguars, etc., the Rams are a team that likely a tempting possibility for potential buyers to acquire and move to a more lucrative location.
    For the right price my mother is for sale. No stipulations or parameters.

There's nothing on God's green earth that is NOT for sale.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

You may believe so, but it's not entirely true. Within context, Rosenbloom's words and actions aren't illustrating a desire to keep the team. Smoke and fire and all of that.

You'd sell your mother? I know you're just making a point but think about it in different terms. I don't know what your number is but would you sell your children? Blank check, any amount you want but your kids are property of the new owner. Whatever they want to use them for. Is money still almighty to you?

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

Within context, Rosenbloom's words and actions aren't illustrating a desire to keep the team.
    What context? The author gives specific quotes attributed to Rosenbloom. The context to those quotes are nothing more than the author's notes and opinion. To what context are you referring?
    I know you're just making a point
    You say you know I'm just making a point. Hyperbole, if you will. Yet you continue to ask a literal question. Odd.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

Perhaps I should have said "trying" to make a point. Are you saying that you'd cut off your johnson for "x" amount of dollars? There are many things that aren't for sale at any price.

And there are many owners who wouldn't be so non-committal about their intention to keep their team.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

These are professional football teams. They are a viable business, have a value and generate revenue. Therefore at any given point EVERY team could be for sale for the right price, even the Packers. Although, by the way they are structured, it is highly unlikely, it is still possible. This LA fan, and I only speak for myself, only tries to remind the St. Louis fan that this is possible, and has happened in the past. Especially with our team and the ownership up to this time.

My recommendation is to embrace your team, go to the games, join booster clubs and let the team know how important they are to you. But please remember that this is a business and if they do leave, it is not personal, it is for the survival of the business in the long run. No hard feelings, no city is better, it just is. Has the season started yet???

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    These are professional football teams. They are a viable business, have a value and generate revenue. Therefore at any given point EVERY team could be for sale for the right price, even the Packers. Although, by the way they are structured, it is highly unlikely, it is still possible. This LA fan, and I only speak for myself, only tries to remind the St. Louis fan that this is possible, and has happened in the past. Especially with our team and the ownership up to this time.

My recommendation is to embrace your team, go to the games, join booster clubs and let the team know how important they are to you. But please remember that this is a business and if they do leave, it is not personal, it is for the survival of the business in the long run. No hard feelings, no city is better, it just is. Has the season started yet???
    MoonJoe did a great job explaining the situation,my question is this If not St. Louis then where ? LA didn't work,Jacksonville wants out,there are just so many places that the NFL will work.
    Last edited by jkramsfan; -07-18-2008 at 04:44 PM.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I say we stop posting anything claiming that the team is for sale until it is sure. I hate reading it is and that it isn't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast