Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Rams Notebook: Is Atogwe headed to San Francisco *****?

By Howard Balzer
    Sunday, May 23, 2010

Within the next week, the Rams will make a decision regarding the short-term status of free safety Oshiomogho Atogwe.

The Rams’ options are clear. Prior to June 1, either the two sides reach agreement on a long-term contract or the Rams must tender him at $6.976 million to retain their exclusive rights.

It appears unlikely either will happen. It’s obvious the Rams and Atogwe disagree on his value. It probably didn’t help when the Rams placed the franchise tag on Atogwe last season and paid him $6.342 million. Then, early in free agency, safety Antrel Rolle signed a five-year, $37 million contract with the Giants that included a reported $15 million in guarantees.

It would be reasonable to assume the Rams value Atogwe at between $4 and $5 million on a long-term deal, not $6-7 million. Assuming no deal occurs and that there is no new tender, Atogwe will become an unrestricted free agent on June 1.

Surely, the Rams will tell Ken Landphere, Atogwe’s agent, that they still want him, depending on the level of offers he receives. Does Atogwe want to return? Only if the money is right. It’s difficult to predict what other teams will offer a player coming off shoulder surgery.

One team to keep an eye on is the San Francisco *****. Atogwe’s rehabilitation is believed to be taking place in the Bay Area, and he has been dating the daughter of ***** coach Mike Singletary for at least the last year.

After an OTA session last week, Singletary was asked if he has talked to Atogwe about signing with the team. Singletary said, “I think right now we are just leaving those things where they are. Yes, I do know O.J., but it’s not one of those things where we talk about it, no. We’re developing our team and he has his team. If that changes then we’ll look at that at the appropriate time. Right now it’s just not something that we’re thinking about.”

Singletary added, when asked if they had discussed why he would or would not be interested in playing for the *****, “I would just say this, by being around him as much as I have been, we’ve had some conversations but nothing to the point of, ‘We’d really like to have you here.’ We don’t really get into that.”

Right. We’re sure they don’t.
    More from San Francisco

In the middle of January, wide receiver Isaac Bruce said to expect an announcement shortly regarding his future. Four months later, not only has Bruce not officially retired, but he also hasn’t been released, so his name remains on the *****’ roster.

That resulted in a strange back-and-forth between reporters and Singletary last week.

On whether he’s spoken to Bruce and why he’s still on the roster: “I have not spoken to Isaac Bruce since last season at the end of the season. I guess at some point in time we’ll deal with that, but I haven’t really thought much about that.”

On whether Bruce being on the roster is a non-issue: “It’s a non-issue as far as I’m concerned.”

On Bruce taking up a roster spot: “Not really.”

On whether Bruce taking up a roster spot will be taken care of by training camp: “We’ll deal with it.”

Of course, Bruce is taking a roster spot, because teams can only have 80 signed players on their roster during the offseason.
    Who’s at running back?

With Steven Jackson not participating in the OTAs, Kenneth Darby and Chris Ogbonnaya are the first two backs getting carries, followed by undrafted free agent Keith Toston.

Ogbonnaya showed some flashes when he got the opportunity at the end of last season, with 11 carries for 50 yards and one 19-yard reception, and could be a surprise contender for the backup spot behind Jackson if no other additions occur. The personnel department remains on the lookout for a back, and former Eagles runner Brian Westbrook is expected to make a decision this week on his next team.

There are those inside the Rams that believe Jackson’s backup is not currently on the roster.

Asked about Ogbonnaya, coach Steve Spagnuolo said, “You know in those two games we had him in there…I’ll tell you what he’s a very intelligent running back. When we went down and worked out (former Texas quarterback) Colt McCoy, Colt said he always felt more comfortable when ‘Obie’ was back there as the back because he knew he didn’t have to tell him what to do. I thought that was pretty revealing of the kind of player that Chris is. He had a cutback run today that I remember, that I thought was pretty good, that kind of stuck out.”

When Spagnuolo was asked if he thought Ogbonnaya has the ability to be a No. 2 back, he said, “Well, they should all think that way. Any back that comes in here should be competing for that, so we’ll wait and see what happens.”
    Rams roster update

The Rams currently have 96 players on their roster, with 89 participating in OTAs. Not practicing are Atogwe, and others with injuries: guards Jacob Bell and Roger Allen III, tight end Daniel Fells, running back Steven Jackson and long snapper Chris Massey. Wide receiver Mardy Gilyard can’t be in attendance because of NFL rules.

The team’s 11 unsigned draft choices, Atogwe and unsigned exclusive rights free agents – defensive end C.J. Ah You, linebacker Larry Grant, wide receiver Jordan Kent, tackle Ryan McKee and safety David Roach – do not count against the 80-player limit.

There are currently 79 signed players on the roster, including two added last week for the OTAs: tackle Brandon Joyce (Illinois State) and long snapper Clint Mower (Utah).

Joyce is from St. Charles and attended Duchesne High School. He participated in the team’s rookie camp the weekend after the draft, but wasn’t signed then. The trade of Alex Barron to Dallas created the need for another tackle. Mower is needed for the OTAs with Massey still unable to practice

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Notebook: Is Atogwe headed to San Francisco *****?

There are rumors drifting around that Kevin Demoff "craftily" *eye roll* offered him a deal that would have paid less than James Butler. (4 years, $14 million)

In other words, we may have told Atogwe we value his services less than this. (50 second mark)

YouTube - Game Highlight: Rams 17, Lions 10

It goes without saying that Atogwe was rather incensed and is not really willing to listen to offers outside of what the market value for top safeties from us.

Regardless of whether or not you think we are overpaying him, or that for the same $6.9 million we could get at least 5 more Eagle and Giant benchwarmers were we to not offer the tender, we cannot go into next season with James "Baka" Butler as our best safety.

---------------------------------------

Of course, the other issue here is that we're paying James Butler $14 million. Good Call front office.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    There are rumors drifting around that Kevin Demoff "craftily" *eye roll* offered him a deal that would have paid less than James Butler. (4 years, $14 million)

In other words, we may have told Atogwe we value his services less than this. (50 second mark)

YouTube - Game Highlight: Rams 17, Lions 10

It goes without saying that Atogwe was rather incensed and is not really willing to listen to offers outside of what the market value for top safeties from us.

Regardless of whether or not you think we are overpaying him, or that for the same $6.9 million we could get at least 5 more Eagle and Giant benchwarmers were we to not offer the tender, we cannot go into next season with James "Baka" Butler as our best safety.

---------------------------------------

Of course, the other issue here is that we're paying James Butler $14 million. Good Call front office.
    Do you have anything like a reliable source for this "rumor"? Atogwe hasn't even visited another team that we know of nor publicly expressed being "incensed" about the Rams' offer. Both are the usual signs that a player is trying to push negotiations/wants to go.

Btw, were Arizona wrong to let Rolle walk when they wouldn't meet his high estimation of his long term worth? They have the same financial freedom due to a cap-less year that The Rams do-unless you subscribe to General Counsel's theory that the coffers are closed due to the owner situation, in which case it's not Demoff's fault, anyway- and probably more because winning teams earn more revenue.

I'd even argue that the D looked a lot worse in Butler's absence than it did in OJ's last year. Like Barron, I think OJ needed to play a lot better than he did to justify a monster payday.I'd rather keep him, of course, but he's not SJ or Lau or Long.

I think we need to get out of the habit of freaking out over good players leaving because of money. It happens every year to every good team.

thermobee is offline Registered User

Ive been saying that OJ is going to play in San Fran for so long and nobody has said anything. We either pay him or he is gone. In my opinion they should just let him go, he doesnt deserve $6-7 mil. And with the way the FO has been drafting we can pick up a solid safety next year.

Quote Originally Posted by thermobee View Post
    Ive been saying that OJ is going to play in San Fran for so long and nobody has said anything. We either pay him or he is gone. In my opinion they should just let him go, he doesnt deserve $6-7 mil. And with the way the FO has been drafting we can pick up a solid safety next year.
    I hope somebody explains to the front office that there isn't going to be a next year for them if the team doesn't get at least 4 wins.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by thermobee View Post
    Bottom line is: No one here really knows what communications have occurred between O.J. and the Rams. Contract issues are best settled privately out of the spotlight. O.J., last we heard, couldn't pass a physical as a result of his shoulder surgery. Can he now? We don't even know that. As far as rumors that the Rams low-balled him go, so what? Rumors are just that - rumors. The Rams brain trust should not offer Atogwe a huge contract if they don't feel he's worth it. We haven't seen other teams lining up to bid for his services either. We'll find out soon enough as June 1st is only a week away. I really like O.J. and hope things can be worked out. If not, then the team will have to move on without him.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Dear OJ,

I sure hope you really really like this girl a lot if you sign with *********. I mean, a lot. Daddy's, and most likely those named Singletary, have a special place in they're hearts for they're 'little girls'.

Is the money gonna be worth it if you two have a falling out?

The Rams may be a decent alternative if your not sure. You know some of us love you.

:-)
    Semper Fi!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I can't believe people are discussing a rumor (re: what Atogwe was offered) that was started on the PD board by some guy who claimed to have an "inside source."

Oh, and say what you want about Butler, but he also lead the Giants in tackles in their Super Bowl win against the Patriots.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I can't believe people are discussing a rumor (re: what Atogwe was offered) that was started on the PD board by some guy who claimed to have an "inside source."

Oh, and say what you want about Butler, but he also lead the Giants in tackles in their Super Bowl win against the Patriots.
    So? Mark Rypien was a Super Bowl MVP.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

So? Mark Rypien was a Super Bowl MVP.
    Are you seriously equating actual performance stats with the votes of a bunch of drunk reporters in a luxury box at the SB?!

thermobee is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Bottom line is: No one here really knows what communications have occurred between O.J. and the Rams. Contract issues are best settled privately out of the spotlight. O.J., last we heard, couldn't pass a physical as a result of his shoulder surgery. Can he now? We don't even know that. As far as rumors that the Rams low-balled him go, so what? Rumors are just that - rumors. The Rams brain trust should not offer Atogwe a huge contract if they don't feel he's worth it. We haven't seen other teams lining up to bid for his services either. We'll find out soon enough as June 1st is only a week away. I really like O.J. and hope things can be worked out. If not, then the team will have to move on without him.
    Well said.

rammiser is online now Registered User

I have no idea whats going on with Atogwe. I do know that he is a defensive playmaker. One thing the Rams don't have many of on either side of the ball is playmakers. I just dont understand why people are so willing to say Atogwe isnt worth 6 to 7 mil a year when all we have is Dahl and some 3rd stringer we got in a trade as his backup. We need Atogwe and should be offering him what he is worth and I believe he is one of the top safties in the league.

YouTube - Oshiomogho Atogwe

Here's some defensive highlights from 09 and Atogwe is at the heart of a lot of them. The hit on the Saints wr at the goal line causing a fumble was incredible.

YouTube - Rams' Defense Highlights 2009

Some people feel Atogwe doesnt deserve to get paid top money and that's fine if you want to see our defense set back by losing one of its best players. If there is something this team can't afford anymore its letting our good players go in free agency.
    Just Fix It

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Are you seriously equating actual performance stats with the votes of a bunch of drunk reporters in a luxury box at the SB?!
    I'm equating the one game performance (Rypien had 2 TDs and threw a hair under 300 yards) that merited the award with Butler's one game performance in which he only had 2 more tackles than the next highest Giant.

PS-Dare we mention how many 1st downs the Patriots got on plays where he made tackles? Way to not break up the pass(es) James.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I'm equating the one game performance (Rypien had 2 TDs and threw a hair under 300 yards) that merited the award with Butler's one game performance in which he only had 2 more tackles than the next highest Giant.

PS-Dare we mention how many 1st downs the Patriots got on plays where he made tackles? Way to not break up the pass(es) James.
    Um... yeah... Rypien also lead his team to a 14-2 record with a 97.8 passer rating over 16 games.

We get it... you don't like Butler.

rampower is offline Registered User

I hope somebody explains to the front office that there isn't going to be a next year for them if the team doesn't get at least 4 wins.
    Couldn't agree more. Pay him the tag price for the 1 year then pick up your new safety next year and let him walk then. This team can't afford to dump good players.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast