throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams Notebook: Bruce refuses to rest on his laurels

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    07/29/2006

Practice had been over for several minutes, and most of the Rams players had trudged back to the locker room and the air conditioning. Not wide receiver Isaac Bruce.

Bruce, heading into his 13th NFL season, was still at work in the smothering late-afternoon heat, grabbing high-speed footballs shot at him like bullets from the "jugs" machine. After 813 career receptions and 12,278 yards, one would assume that he'd be satisfied with his pass-catching ability.

Not Isaac Bruce. "Can't stay the same," he said Saturday in his usual deadpan. "You either get better or you get worse."

And getting worse simply isn't an option for Bruce, 33. Every year, he compiles his personal goals, then writes them down every morning as a reminder. "And then I get up and I go out and I do it. Simple as that," he said.

And what are those goals? "I'm not going to tell you," he said bluntly.

If Scott Linehan, the Rams' first-year head coach, didn't know about the intensity of Bruce's relentless work ethic, he does now. "When you come out here in practice and see it, you see why he's had such a long career," Linehan said. "I marvel at how good he looks. And I'm not really making reference to his age. You wish all the rookies would come in looking like this guy. He looks as fresh as ever to me. "

Bruce, a four-time Pro Bowler, is the last of the Los Angeles Rams who came to St. Louis in 1995. He's in training camp with his fifth head coach. Though he said the camps don't differ much, homing in on each coach's persona is a unique challenge.

A nagging turf-toe injury last year limited Bruce to 11 games, and he had his least-productive season since 1998 - 36 catches for 525 yards. The toe, he assured, is fine now. So is his resolve.

After suggesting last year that he had one more Super Bowl on his agenda, he's since doubled that objective. "I feel like I have two more," he said. "I upgraded it."

Special teams get special attention

Each of Linehan's practices concludes with a brisk special-teams period, a not-so-subtle indication of the importance that's been placed on an area that has been a weak link for several years.

"We're going to have a lot of our front-line players playing on as many special teams as we can," Linehan explained. "Not to the extent of hurting their ability to play well offensively or defensively. But if we don't play well on special teams, it's not going to do us any good to rest those guys on offense and defense."

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Notebook: Bruce refuses to rest on his laurels

Saw Isaac Bruce On Ram Cam (NFL Network) This Week. He Looked Determined And Seems Ready To Get The Season Started. It's Not A Surprise That He's Set His Sites On Getting Another 'SUPERBOWL' Ring.
    The Tandum Of Bruce And Torry Holt And The Of Rest Rams' Receiving Corps, Along With A Healthy Marc Bulger, A Solid Frontline, And Steven Jackson Rising Towards His Peak Potential Should Make For A 'Great Show On Turf' This Season.
    Go Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce!!!
    Last edited by dgr828; -07-30-2006 at 02:37 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rams#1 Guest

Re: Rams Notebook: Bruce refuses to rest on his laurels

Great for bruce, I did notice how hard he worked after watching a practice video of him last year. Isaac is a very cool person and he is just so quite, I noticed that when I watched nfl total access last week.