RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams Notebook: Bulger earns high marks

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    12/26/2006

Unless something untoward happens to Marc Bulger between now and Sunday, he will play in a 16th game for the first time in any of his six NFL seasons. Bulger is making the most of it.

After passing 38 times in Sunday's 37-31 overtime victory over Washington, Bulger has 558 passing attempts this season. That breaks the franchise record of 554 set by Jim Everett in 1990.

With 25 completions in Sunday's regular-season finale against Minnesota, Bulger would break Kurt Warner's team record for most completions in a season. Warner completed 375 passes in 2001; Bulger has 351.

Bulger also is on track to set a franchise mark for lowest percentage of passes intercepted. Only 1.4 percent of Bulger's passes have been intercepted this season (eight of 558). Roman Gabriel holds the franchise mark of 1.75 percent (seven of 399) set in 1969.

With a game to play, Bulger already has achieved personal bests in passing yards (4,053) and touchdown passes (23) this season.

"It's nice," Bulger said after the Washington game. "It's something I'll reflect on after the end of the season. I'm just happy I'm healthy right now, and we won."

In his typical self-effacing style, he added: "The stats will take care of themselves if you throw the ball 800 times a year."

Apparently, so will the sacks. Bulger has been sacked 49 times this season, just two shy of the franchise mark set in 1985, when Dieter Brock was dropped 51 times.

Upon further review

With the score tied 31-31, the Rams had a first down at the Washington 27 with 1:11 left in regulation, and two timeouts remaining. Coach Scott Linehan decided to take the air out of the football. Two running plays by Steven Jackson advanced the ball to the Washington 21, and then the Rams called a timeout with 10 seconds remaining. After the timeout, Bulger took a knee for a 2-yard loss, and then the Rams called their final timeout with 4 seconds left. Huh?

The original plan, Linehan said, was to have Jeff Wilkins attempt the game-winning field goal on third down following the timeout with 10 seconds left. That way, the Rams would still have the opportunity for another attempt if there was a bad snap or bobbled snap. But as the Rams discussed the situation during the timeout, they decided against risking a kickoff if Wilkins made the kick.

"They were probably going to put (Antwaan) Randle El back there," Linehan said.

So instead of sending out Wilkins and the field goal unit, the Rams had Bulger take a knee, and then took their final timeout once the clock hit 4 seconds. That way, Wilkins would either win the game, or it would go into overtime. Wilkins missed the 41-yard attempt, forcing OT.

Injury update

CB Jerome Carter (ankle) returned against Washington after missing the past two games.

DE Victor Adeyanju (forearm) returned against Washington after missing the past three games.

Quotable

"It seemed like a sellout to me. I know there were a couple empty (seats) up top, but it was nothing like Oakland last week. And they kind of fed off of us. Once we got going, they got loud." Bulger, on the less-than-capacity crowd of 62,324 Sunday.

The stat

If the Rams give up 196 rushing yards Sunday, they will become the worst rush defense in franchise history. The 1961 Rams (4-10) yielded 2,440 rushing yards (in 14 games); the '06 club has allowed 2,245.

Looking ahead

The Rams have lost their last four regular-season and postseason games at Minnesota, including a 27-13 setback last season. They haven't won in the Twin Cities since 1978.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams Notebook: Bulger earns high marks

The stat

If the Rams give up 196 rushing yards Sunday, they will become the worst rush defense in franchise history. The 1961 Rams (4-10) yielded 2,440 rushing yards (in 14 games); the '06 club has allowed 2,245.
    Wow, that's embarrassing but not entirely surprising.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    12/26/2006

Unless something untoward happens to Marc Bulger between now and Sunday, he will play in a 16th game for the first time in any of his six NFL seasons. Bulger is making the most of it.

After passing 38 times in Sunday's 37-31 overtime victory over Washington, Bulger has 558 passing attempts this season. That breaks the franchise record of 554 set by Jim Everett in 1990.

With 25 completions in Sunday's regular-season finale against Minnesota, Bulger would break Kurt Warner's team record for most completions in a season. Warner completed 375 passes in 2001; Bulger has 351.

Bulger also is on track to set a franchise mark for lowest percentage of passes intercepted. Only 1.4 percent of Bulger's passes have been intercepted this season (eight of 558). Roman Gabriel holds the franchise mark of 1.75 percent (seven of 399) set in 1969.

With a game to play, Bulger already has achieved personal bests in passing yards (4,053) and touchdown passes (23) this season.

"It's nice," Bulger said after the Washington game. "It's something I'll reflect on after the end of the season. I'm just happy I'm healthy right now, and we won."

In his typical self-effacing style, he added: "The stats will take care of themselves if you throw the ball 800 times a year."

Apparently, so will the sacks. Bulger has been sacked 49 times this season, just two shy of the franchise mark set in 1985, when Dieter Brock was dropped 51 times.
    Being the HUGE Kurt Warner that I am (not was) this info about Bulger really impresses me. Not just the Passing numbers but his ability to bounce back after being sacked 49 times. Marc Bulger is a warrior and a great one at that.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Being the HUGE Kurt Warner that I am (not was) this info about Bulger really impresses me. Not just the Passing numbers but his ability to bounce back after being sacked 49 times. Marc Bulger is a warrior and a great one at that.
    your right, it's 49 sacks and add on how many other hits he took,it's quite impressive that he has started all 16 games.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Wow, that's embarrassing but not entirely surprising.
    What will change this next year?