Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Flippin' Ram

Thread: Rams Notebook: Fisher Says Refs Missed Roughing Calls

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams Notebook: Fisher Says Refs Missed Roughing Calls

Rams Notebook: Fisher says refs missed roughing calls

11 hours ago • By Jim Thomas jthomas@post-dispatch.com314-340-8197

After reviewing game film Tuesday, Rams coach Jeff Fisher was asked what he saw on the three plays in which cornerback Bradley Fletcher was called for pass interference Sunday against New England.

“I saw pass interference,” Fisher said. On all three?

“Yeah,” Fisher replied. “He’s grabbing. When you grab and the ball’s in the air, it’s pass interference. When you grab and the ball’s not in the air, it’s defensive holding. So in each case there was hand contact. Sometimes those aren’t called, but I can see what they saw and why they called ‘em.”

On the third of those calls against Fletcher, which gave New England a first-and-goal at the St. Louis 1 just before halftime, Fisher said offensive pass interference could’ve been called against the Patriots.

While referee Walt Coleman’s crew was all over the pass interference calls, Fisher thought they missed several roughing-the-passer penalties with the Patriots on Rams quarterback Sam Bradford.

“I was a little disappointed. They missed three roughing-the-passer calls on the quarterback,” Fisher said. “Those are 15-yard penalties and those are — you know — they keep drives alive. As I’ve said, it’s a difficult game to officiate. They’re not going to see everything. But I’d like to see ‘em do a better job of protecting our quarterback.”

Fisher thought one of the roughing calls should have been made on a play in which Patriots linebacker Dont’a Hightower drove Bradford to the ground with 2½ minutes left in the first half. Bradford didn’t get up immediately and appeared to be hurt, but the Rams later said he simply got the wind knocked out of him.

Besides the Hightower play, Fisher said Bradford, “got hit in the face twice — one on the scramble and then another one when he went to the ground.”

DANIELS DONE

The Rams have lost rookie safety Matt Daniels for the season because of a knee ailment. He was placed on the injured reserve list Tuesday.

“We don’t need to make a roster move at this point because it’s the bye week,” Fisher said. “But we’ll re-examine our options over the next few days and fill that spot.”

Daniels, who played his college ball at Duke, played in four games on special teams and had one special teams tackle.

“He was off to a great start for a young man that comes in as an undrafted free agent that catches our eye,” Fisher said. “So as I told him, he’s got a bright future ahead of him.”

Daniels’ injury leaves the Rams with four cornerbacks and four safeties on the roster.

The only defensive back on the team’s practice squad is cornerback Quinton Pointer.

RAM-BLINGS

Linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar led the Rams with 11 tackles against New England, according to coaches’ review of game film. Safety Craig Dahl was next, with 10.

• After giving up a season-high 473 yards Sunday, the Rams tumbled out of the NFL top 10 in total defense. They rank 14th.The Rams finished with zero sacks, 17 quarterback hurries, and three QB hits. By way of comparison it pales against the nine sacks, 18 pressures, and 15 hits against Arizona on Oct. 4.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams Notebook: Fisher Says Refs Missed Roughing Calls

Not getting to Brady was very disappointing to say the least.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Notebook: Fisher Says Refs Missed Roughing Calls

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Not getting to Brady was very disappointing to say the least.
    If we sacked Brady in the first place, we would've been flagged. Walt Coleman, the mastermind behind the tuck rule game was officiating the game so I'd figure the Patriots would get away with some flags. Refs could've at least bought us dinner after all the times we've been screwed over against the Pats.
    gap likes this.