RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams Notebook: Fisher on slow road to recovery

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    11/02/2006

"Scared" might be too strong a term. But Rams cornerback Travis Fisher acknowledged that he was more than a little concerned when tightness in his groin forced him to the sideline midway through the second quarter Oct. 8 at Green Bay.

After hobbling through the first half of the 2005 with a groin injury, Fisher finally sat out eight games. So even with pain in a different area, Fisher's anxiety was understandable.

An MRI exam disclosed no serious damage, and Fisher suited up the next week vs. Seattle. Still, he struggled against the Seahawks' speedy Deion Branch. He played better last Sunday in San Diego, although at times he appeared a bit tentative.

Coach Scott Linehan stressed that Fisher shouldn't be judged on just those two outings. "It's like any of the other players ... we've had some good days and some not-so-good days," he said. "Actually, before he came out against Green Bay, he'd played pretty well up to that point. He hasn't done anything to disappoint us at all this season."

Fisher and Jerametrius Butler were the starting cornerbacks in 2003 and 2004, and both seemed secure in their roles until they were injured.

Butler missed the 2005 season after knee surgery, then fell behind Fakhir Brown on the depth chart during training camp. Butler has been on the inactive list for all but two games this year.

The 5-foot-10 Fisher dropped about 15 pounds in the offseason, down to 189, showed up for camp in excellent condition, and regained a first-team job. He has managed to stay in the lineup despite occasional lapses.

Now, he says he's healthier than he has been in a long time.

"I was telling somebody (Wednesday) in practice that I haven't felt this way in a while," Fisher said. "My weight is still down, and I feel a lot faster, a lot quicker. I just feel real good."

Fisher, 27, is in the final season of a five-year, $3.06 million contract he signed in 2002, when the Rams drafted him in the second round (No. 64 overall) out of Central Florida. He said he believes he has done enough this season to enhance his value on the free-agent market.

"I feel like I'm competing at a high level," he said. "I'm going against top receivers every week, and I just feel like I'm playing very good football."

His first choice, though, would be to remain in St. Louis. His agent, Drew Rosenhaus, and the Rams haven't begun discussions yet, Fisher said.

"I don't really want to go anywhere," Fisher said. "When I first came in, I said this was the team I wanted to play on, and I'd love to finish my career here. ...

"But I'm not really thinking about that. I've just been concentrating on going out and competing with these receivers and trying to show everybody what kind of player I really am."

Pisa may play vs. KC

Linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa saw limited action Wednesday in practice, with a small cast protecting the broken bone in his left hand. Linehan said Tinoisamoa "has a better chance" of playing Sunday against Kansas City than he had last week at San Diego.

After playing in all 57 games since entering the league in 2003, Tinoisamoa suited up but remained on the sideline vs. the Chargers. Dexter Coakley started in his place.

Tinoisamoa said the swelling had decreased significantly. He was listed as questionable Wednesday on the first injury report of the week.

No fun just watching

Brown said he "didn't have any problems" Sunday with his right ankle after a sprain kept him out of the two previous games.

"I was happy to be back out there on that field, back in the mix," said Brown, who had six tackles vs. the Chargers. "Watching on the sideline is no fun. If you sit out too long, you get out of shape and you lose your technique."

Ram-blings

Mehlville's Gary Heyde is the Rams' high school coach of the week after the Panthers knocked off previously unbeaten Oakville 21-6. The Rams Foundation and NFL Charities will make a $1,000 donation to the school's football program. ... Chiefs quarterback Trent Green, a Vianney High product, practiced Wednesday for the first time since suffering a head injury in the season opener. Still, Green is listed as out for Sunday's game.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Notebook: Fisher on slow road to recovery

Can some people cut the guy some slack given that he is playing hurt? Even injured, the coaches still believe he is our best option. I hope that all the fisher bashers will start slamming the coaches that are playing him rather than fisher himself who is doing the best he can under the circumstances. Want to know why he looks tentative? Read the article above. Have any of you ever had a pulled groin? I didnt ask if you have ever had your groin pulled while in the midst of nocturnal activities, but rather whether you have ever had a pulled groin. In my college varsity athletics days, it took me almost a year to get over my pulled groin and it was killing me the entire time. It never really goes away unless you sit out.

ramming speed to all

general counsel