By Bill Coats
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
09/06/2006

Despite starting 18 games over the last two seasons in Minnesota, offensive lineman Adam Goldberg said he was only "a little bit" surprised when the Vikings released him Saturday.

"The new (coaching) staff came in, and they brought in a lot of their own guys," Goldberg said. "And when they bring in their own guys, they're not going to cut them."

Goldberg wasn't out of work for long; the Rams signed him Sunday, and he practiced with the team Tuesday. Rams coach Scott Linehan, the Vikings' offensive coordinator during Goldberg's rookie season in 2004, gave him the final spot on the 53-man roster.

"He's really developed," Linehan said. "He's a guy who is an ascending player with good size who potentially could be a starter someday."

The 6-foot-7, 310-pounder from the University of Wyoming also brings versatility. He's played five positions -- both guards, both tackles and tight end -- in regular-season NFL games, and also saw action at center in two preseason games.

"Earlier in my career, I kind of made my way in this league due to versatility," said Goldberg, 26. "So, pretty much wherever they need me, I'll play." For now, he's penciled in as a backup guard here, where, he said, he's adapting quickly.

Ram-blings

Rookie Marques Hagans, the Rams' fifth-round draft choice, cleared waivers Tuesday and was added to the practice squad. Hagans, a wide receiver who also returns punts and kicks, was released Monday when J.R. Reed was added to the 53-man roster. ... About 500 tickets remain for Sunday's season opener vs. Denver at the Edward Jones Dome. They must be sold by noon Thursday for the game to be televised locally. The only sellouts so far are the Kansas City (Nov. 5) and Chicago (Dec. 11) contests.