RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams Notebook: Hedgecock bemoans his enforced idleness

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    08/30/2006

Never comfortable on the sideline, Rams fullback Madison Hedgecock picked up the nickname "Mad Dog" from his little league football coach "because I used to pace a lot before a game."

So, the last 3 weeks have been particularly difficult for Hedgecock, a second-year pro. He suffered a high-ankle sprain Aug. 5 --his first significant injury ever -- and still is a bit gimpy.

"I can't stand sitting out. It stinks," he grumbled. "I'm an impatient person, and I don't like to stand and watch my teammates. Deep down, it feels like I'm letting them down, not being there with them and battling beside them. That's the most frustrating part about it."

In addition to the damage to his left ankle, Hedgecock also absorbed a blow to his pride when veteran Paul Smith supplanted him as the first-team fullback. Hedgecock, a 6-foot-3, 266-pound seventh-round draft choice from North Carolina, won the job in camp last year, beating out Joey Goodspeed, and kept it throughout the season.

But Smith, 5-11 and 237, has had some injury problems of his own -- mainly, a pulled calf muscle -- and missed several blocks in Saturday's 16-12 loss at Kansas City. "He's not 100 percent; that's one thing that was noticeable in the game," coach Scott Linehan said. "We've got to take it a little slow with him. It's a little frustrating, because we haven't been able to really work a fullback in our offense in the last two weeks."

Smith is better -- he practiced Tuesday -- and Hedgecock, who has missed all three preseason games, is getting close, too. He took part in limited drills the last two days.

"It feels a lot better," he said. "It's loosened up some, and it's starting to get back toward 100 percent. I was (running) last week, and I think that really broke up a lot of the scar tissue and got the blood flowing through it. It really helped."

Hedgecock even said he felt that he could play in the final preseason game Thursday night in Miami. He's eager to re-open the competition with Smith.

"Oh, yeah, anybody would," he said. "I've just got to go out there and give it 100 percent, and whatever happens, happens. That's all I can do."

Incognito sticks with plan

Despite amassing 30 yards in penalties for illegal cut blocks vs. the Chiefs, guard Richie Incognito isn't planning to change his approach. "Not at all," he said.

Some cuts -- blocks below the waist -- are permissible. Plus, he pointed out that the Rams want their opponents to know that tactic will be used.

"We're trying to get cuts on film to have other teams defend for it," Incognito said. "Other teams see that, they put it in their notes and on their scouting report. ... We want to run the ball, so we're going to have to get physical with people."

Daddy Butler is back

Cornerback Jerametrius Butler returned to practice Tuesday after his wife, Maria, gave birth to their fourth child Monday night. Alyssa weighed in at 7 pounds 7 ounces.

Nose tackle Jimmy Kennedy (ankle) also was back on the field, but cornerback DeJuan Groce (groin) sat out. Punter Matt Turk missed a second day because of a death in his family and might not be with the team for Thursday's game.

Ram-blings

The Rams have pushed back their flight today in anticipation of bad weather in Miami. The team charter will leave Lambert Field about 3 p.m., about two hours later than originally scheduled. ... As of Tuesday evening, about 550 tickets remained for the regular-season opener Sept 10. vs. Denver at the Edward Jones Dome.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Notebook: Hedgecock bemoans his enforced idleness

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    08/30/2006

Hedgecock, a 6-foot-3, 266-pound seventh-round draft choice from North Carolina, won the job in camp last year, beating out Joey Goodspeed, and kept it throughout the season.

But Smith, 5-11 and 237, has had some injury problems of his own.
    Guys, we have just got to hold on to Hedge. I mean he's 4" and 29#s larger than Smith who is really just a puffed up RB. I like Hedge's youth, size, and upside potential and, besides, Smith has had a history of major injuries that is well documented. The Rams haven't run the ball effectively since the halcyon days of James Hodgins and we need to develop a big, tough fullback to plow some holes for Jax. I nominate GC to be the Chairman of the "Save the Hedge" Committee. I am honored to be a member.

WHAT SAY YE?

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I think Hedge will make the cut, @ 6-3 266lbs he will be a nice H-back.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68 View Post
    I think Hedge will make the cut, @ 6-3 266lbs he will be a nice H-back.
    Agreed, I don't see why we would cut the guy, he looked pretty good last year, and although Paul Smith seems to be the starter at FB, I think it's still smart to keep a guy like Hedgecock on the roster, for a great backup, and being a solid backup isn't giving him much justice at all

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

bigredman is offline Registered User

If Hedgecock gets into the final preseason game....look for him to be an animal. Even if he can't go, I can't see the Rams letting him go. He'll be with the team after the final cut.

Ingonito....a cut block is an offensive lineman that blocks below the waist of a defender that already is engaged by another offensive lineman. Denver has been doing it for years. NFL keeps promising to crack down on it. Looks like they are serious this year. Ingonito may want to re-evaluate. I personally think its a dangerous and unprofessional maneuver that can cripple a defensive lineman and end his career. Ingonito should be ashamed of himself.
    Last edited by bigredman; -08-30-2006 at 08:19 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RealRam is offline Registered User

RAMarkable, totally agree: we have just got to hold on to Hedge!!!

Smith is better -- he practiced Tuesday -- and Hedgecock, who has missed all three preseason games, is getting close, too. -- Bill Coats
    Almost a pun: Smith is better but not better than Hedgecock!

I also like what BigRed said: "If Hedgecock gets into the final preseason game....look for him to be an animal." Madison is not only big at 6-3 / 270* lbs., but is aggressive. I think of him as another Icognito on our offense.

I hope he doesn't 'have to' play Vs. Miami tomorrow! Allow him to get better ... better than Smith, better on that ankle, better to start ramming defenses in September! "I've just got to go out there and give it 100 percent..." says Hedge.

I hope he does get to start the regular season at 99.9%. At least.

Bring on the Broncos! 'Meet Mr. Madison'. :r ...AKA Hitman Hedgecock.

*. Listed at 266 but he eats well on gameday.
    Last edited by RealRam; -09-01-2006 at 04:49 PM.