RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams Notebook: Injury list is growing much longer

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Tuesday, Nov. 07 2006

Rams coach Scott Linehan routinely begins his day-after-game news conference
    with an update on injuries. Usually, that takes only a minute or two, and then
    it's on to other subjects.

This week, though, Linehan reeled off an expanded list of players who were
    nursing a variety of bumps, bruises, strains, sprains and worse after Sunday's
    31-17 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs:

Safety Jerome Carter (elbow sprain); linebacker Dexter Coakley (knee strain);
    wide receiver Kevin Curtis (chest and abdomen bruise); running back Tony Fisher
    (probable torn knee ligament); cornerback Tye Hill (mild ankle sprain);
    linebacker Isaiah Kacyvenski (hip bruise); nose tackle Jimmy Kennedy (thumb
    sprain); defensive end Leonard Little (mild knee sprain); and linebacker Pisa
    Tinoisamoa (broken hand).

"A little more than normal," Linehan said Monday with a wry smile. Most of the
    injuries were minor, and those players will be ready for Sunday's game at
    Seattle. A couple, however, are cause for concern, as well as some roster
    shuffling.

Although the results of Fisher's MRI exam weren't in as of Monday evening,
    Linehan feared the worst. "It's a probable (ligament) tear," he said. "Probably
    he's done for the year."

Fisher went down while returning a kickoff late in the second quarter. "It
    wasn't when he was hit; it was when he making a cut right before he got hit,"
    Linehan explained.

Not only was Fisher a key member of several special-teams units, he also was
    the third running back. His absence creates a two-pronged gap that will take
    some creative maneuvering to fill.

"We're going to have to add a player or two to our roster between now and
    Wednesday," Linehan said. "And whoever we bring in, if it's one or two people,
    we've got to have some help in our special teams as well."

Street free agents could be the answer, and the Rams plan to look at several.
    At least one player was expected to audition Monday night at Rams Park; others
    will get tryouts today.

Linehan, who indicated that Curtis probably won't be used as a kick returner
    this week, also is considering a promotion from the practice squad. He
    mentioned Fred Russell as "a definite possibility" because he's a running back
    who also could return kicks.

Tinoisamoa, who also has dislocated his left elbow twice this season, sat out
    the last two games. He might play vs. the Seahawks, even if he doesn't start.

"We took an X-ray after the game, and everything looked good," Linehan said.
    "It just takes some time before that calcifies and heals. It's more probable
    that he would be able to play some snaps and protect it and not re-injure it
    (this week). It looks more promising."

Curtis was checked out at a hospital after safety Sammy Knight drilled him on a
    23-yard reception on the last play of the game. "We took him to the hospital
    just to make sure there was nothing internal," Linehan said. "He felt and
    looked good. It was just a precaution."

As to whether Knight's full-speed hit was necessary on what basically was a
    meaningless play, Linehan said, "It's tough enough to go through a tough game
    and lose at home, but to lose a player on the last play of the game would be
    pretty tough. I certainly hope that it doesn't happen again."

'Busted coverage'

A "busted coverage" in the secondary left Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez wide
    open in the end zone for an easy 3-yard touchdown catch in the first quarter.

"They miscommunicated," defensive coordinator Jim Haslett said. "It was a call
    between (safety) Corey Chavous and Dexter Coakley. and they just didn't play it
    right. They both took the underneath guy.

"I think I'd cover 88 first, but that's just me."

Gonzalez, who wears No. 88, is a seven-time Pro Bowler who's close to the NFL
    record for touchdown catches by a tight end.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Notebook: Injury list is growing much longer

Linehan, who indicated that Curtis probably won't be used as a kick returner
    this week, also is considering a promotion from the practice squad. He
    mentioned Fred Russell as "a definite possibility" because he's a running back
    who also could return kicks.
    Whats the deal with our 5th round pick. We have tried Curtis, Fisher, Reed what about giving Marques Hagans a try. Or was this a long shot pick at best. I know hind sight is 20-20, but I could think of some other needs we could have filled with the 5th pick.

He was Virginia’s leading punt returner in 2002 and 2003, he has the speed.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Whats the deal with our 5th round pick. We have tried Curtis, Fisher, Reed what about giving Marques Hagans a try. Or was this a long shot pick at best. I know hind sight is 20-20, but I could think of some other needs we could have filled with the 5th pick.

He was Virginia’s leading punt returner in 2002 and 2003, he has the speed.
    Well, Hagans is a punt returner who couldn't beat out McDonald for that job. What he could do on kick returns, who knows. He was a pretty big reach when we made the pick, and hasn't shown us any reason yet why he was selected that early. I was actually hoping for an upgrade at LB in that spot at the time.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

We tried Hagans at Kick Returner in the Preseason, but he looked slower than Tony Fisher. On Punt Return he looked alright but Shaun McDonald isn't looking HORRIBLE, he hasn't got a Touchdown yet but when he's able to return he usually gets 10 yards.

As for Kick Returner, I hope we sign someone soon to fill that spot because in Linehan's Press Conference he said that Curtis most likely WOUDLN'T fill in at Kick Returner, someone who I'd like to see get a shot is of course Fred Russell.
    RamsFan16

Rambos is offline Registered User

I was actually hoping for an upgrade at LB in that spot at the time.
    You look to be right.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    You look to be right.
    Well, I wasn't THAT right, since the guy I wanted in the fifth was undrafted rookie Spencer Havner and he's currently floating around on the Packers practice squad right now.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!