eldfan is offline Registered User

Rams Notebook: Jackson finishes as NFC's top rusher

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    01/04/2010

Despite the Rams' 1-15 season, running back Steven Jackson finished as the NFC's leading rusher with 1,416 yards. That's the sixth-highest total in franchise history, and the second-highest total of Jackson's career.

"I'm very proud of the offensive line, the fullback and even the receivers," Jackson said. "It's really meaningful. I share that with the whole offensive unit. It's definitely something we can build off of, something we can be proud of."

But typifying the season, nothing came easy for Jackson in Sunday's 28-6 loss to San Francisco at the Edward Jones Dome. After missing the Dec. 27 game at Arizona because of his ongoing back injury, Jackson managed a modest 63 yards on 20 carries against the *****' seventh-ranked run defense.

Because of the injury, Jackson hasn't been able to practice since the third week of November, and he's played in pain on Sundays.

"It's not something that you plan on doing," Jackson said. "It's not something you get used to doing, so it was hard."

TOUGH DEBUT

Roger Allen III's first NFL start was a rocky one. The undrafted rookie from Missouri Western started in place of the injured Mark Setterstrom at left guard and had trouble blocking ***** defensive end Justin Smith. "It's a learning experience," Allen said. "I've just got to learn from it, look at the film, and get better."

But that wasn't the worst of it. Allen's day ended early when he suffered a left knee injury late in the second quarter. "It's feeling all right," Allen said after the game. "It's just sore and a little swollen."

Allen said he thinks he landed on someone's foot while stepping back. He originally hoped to get back in the game, but swelling increased in the knee. He is scheduled for an MRI exam today.

MORE INJURIES

Two plays before Allen's injury, wide receiver Donnie Avery suffered a concussion making a 20-yard reception on the Rams' first field-goal drive. "With the (concussion) rules the way they are, (team doctors) did not want to put him back in," coach Steven Spagnuolo said.

Rookie Keith Null started his fourth consecutive game at quarterback for the Rams but left midway through the third quarter with an apparent concussion. "I don't know if they used the term concussion, but he was a little bit fuzzy," Spagnuolo said.

GETTING THEIR KICKS

Donnie Jones punted a career-high 11 times, averaging 50.1 yards. He dropped two inside the 20, giving him a career-high and Rams-record 34 punts inside the 20 this season. Place-kicker Josh Brown's 54-yard field goal with 4 minutes left in the second quarter was his sixth of the season from 50 yards or more, tying a franchise record.

RAM-BLINGS

Besides Setterstrom, Rams inactives were DE Leonard Little (knee infection), OT Jason Smith (concussion), CB Quincy Butler (ankle/knee), RB Samkon Gado, OT Ryan McKee, and DE James Wyche. ... Vernon Davis' 73-yard touchdown catch for San Francisco was his 13th TD reception of the season, giving him a share of the NFL mark for tight ends with San Diego's Antonio Gates. ... The Rams went 0-6 vs. the NFC West for the second straight season and have lost 14 straight division games.

:ramlogo:

ram3057 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Notebook: Jackson finishes as NFC's top rusher

Despite the Rams' 1-15 season, running back Steven Jackson finished as the NFC's leading rusher with 1,416 yards.
    This is really saying something about SJ's talent and strength. I am totally amazed by this statistic.

Quite an accomplishment.

Always a Rams Fan............

Rex Allen Markel

BEER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ram3057 View Post
    This is really saying something about SJ's talent and strength. I am totally amazed by this statistic.

Quite an accomplishment.

Imagine what he could do on a good team, meaning not the Rams.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    Imagine what he could do on a good team, meaning not the Rams.
    He would be quite dangerous.

But we need to keep Jackson here. He strikes fear into the defensive coordinators. Even when their entire gameplan consists of stopping Jackson, most teams can't do it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    01/04/2010

<SNIP>

GETTING THEIR KICKS

Donnie Jones punted a career-high 11 times, averaging 50.1 yards. He dropped two inside the 20, giving him a career-high and Rams-record 34 punts inside the 20 this season. Place-kicker Josh Brown's 54-yard field goal with 4 minutes left in the second quarter was his sixth of the season from 50 yards or more, tying a franchise record.

<SNIP>
    I noticed that the whiner's punter got the Pro Bowl selection, and Donnie was overlooked again. Is their punter really better than Donnie, or is it yet another snub because he's a RAMS punter?

gap

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    I noticed that the whiner's punter got the Pro Bowl selection, and Donnie was overlooked again. Is their punter really better than Donnie, or is it yet another snub because he's a RAMS punter?

gap
    Donnie Jones is only slightly better, looking at the stats.
    But for a Ram to get to the Pro Bowl he has to be far and away one of the best players at his position, like Steven Jackson is. But with the NFC punters there is a group all around the same level.

RamsFan10 is offline Registered User

I still dont understand why AP is starting in the Pro Bowl game over S-Jax.

Anyone care to explain? S-Jax is easily the best RB in the NFC this year and AP has one of the best offensive lines in the league and our o-line has been banged up all year.

Bing69 is offline Registered User

RamsFan10

Easy to answer that one....touchdowns!! And everyone loves AP, except me, fumble machine that boy is

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bing69 View Post
    RamsFan10

Easy to answer that one....touchdowns!! And everyone loves AP, except me, fumble machine that boy is
    Yeah its a good point about the fumbles, i dont think Jackson has cost us a game with a fumble this season like Peterson did against Chicago