Rams Notebook: Jackson has pie-high hopes

14 hours ago • By Jim Thomas jthomas@post-dispatch.com314-340-8197

Like millions of Americans, Thanksgiving Day for running back Steven Jackson means loading up at the dinner table.

But after he left Rams Park on Thursday afternoon for the family gathering, Jackson was more likely to head for the dessert line before the main course.

“I’m pretty good about my protein and other lean options, as well as vegetables,” Jackson said. “But where I do damage is at the desert tray. My mom has this amazing chocolate pie that was passed down from my grandmother. She’s the only one of nine children that remembers how to make the recipe.

“So you gotta get your slice because my aunts and uncles from around the country are always begging her to make more because it reminds them of their mom.”

Before pie time, Jackson returned to practice Thursday on a limited basis after sitting out Wednesday with what looks to be a minor foot ailment.

“I feel good,” Jackson said. “Coach (Jeff) Fisher does a great job of managing the veteran players, not only myself. He asks us how we’re feeling, and if he thinks that it’d be beneficial to have a day to get myself back to recoup from the game, he’s very reasonable about that.”

As for his piece of the backfield pie against the New York Jets, Jackson offered no complaints. He had 13 carries to six for rookie Daryl Richardson in the Rams’ 27-13 loss.

“I’ve learned over the years that football’s the ultimate team sport, and the more unselfish you are the more it’s (easier) for the other guys to buy into the program,” Jackson said. “And that’s my whole deal. At this point in my career, I just want to win.

“I want to be part of a winning program, and through my veteran leadership I try to give maximum effort each and every play and take advantage of the opportunities given to me. If they see me do that, I think everyone else will do the same.”

INJURY UPDATE

As was the case with Jackson, tight end Lance Kendricks (knee) participated on a limited basis Thursday after sitting out a day earlier, so at this point both players appear on track to play Sunday in Arizona.

But wide receiver Danny Amendola (foot) did not practice for the second day in a row. Neither did linebacker Mario Haggan (elbow). A new addition to the injury report was safety/special teamer Rodney McCleod, who did not practice because of a calf issue.

In Arizona, the Cardinals’ list of players who were limited participation dropped to six players Thursday from 10 Wednesday. Among those still limited are starters DE Calais Campbell (calf), FS Kerry Rhodes (back), and CB William Gay (groin), as well as key contributors RB LaRod Stephens-Howling (ribs) and WR Early Doucet (ribs).

TURKEY TIME

Fisher juggled the team’s schedule Thursday to let the players enjoy at least part of Thanksgiving with family and friends. There were no post-practice meetings so most players were able to leave shortly after 2 p.m.