RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Rams Notebook: Jackson leaves team with no hard feelings

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...2?OpenDocument

Rams Notebook: Jackson leaves team with no hard feelings
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    04/26/2006

After signing a two-year deal with Detroit earlier in the day, defensive lineman Tyoka Jackson and his wife, Tenique, celebrated Tuesday evening at a St. Louis steakhouse.

They walked into the restaurant wearing Detroit Lions hats and settled in for a nice meal. Barely 10 feet away were Rams coach Scott Linehan, defensive coordinator Jim Haslett, defensive line coach Brian Baker and Cleveland Browns free agent Jason Fisk, who could replace Jackson.

No hard feelings? Actually, there never seem to be any hard feelings with Jackson, who earlier in the offseason was told by the Rams he no longer fit into their plans.

"It was funny," Jackson said of the restaurant encounter. "But I've got no animosity toward them, and they don't seem to have any toward me. So it was no problem. We waved to each other."

Later, when Linehan's dinner group was leaving the restaurant, they stopped by Jackson's table to shake hands. Jackson wished them luck. And that, in effect, signaled the end of Jackson's five-year stay with the Rams, a period that included three playoff berths, two division titles and one Super Bowl appearance.

"I'm not disappointed at all," Jackson said. "I wake up every day, I've got a beautiful wife, I've got a (baby) coming in three months, and I play in the National Football League. So every day is a sunny day to me. Believe me when I tell you that."

Naturally, Jackson is going to miss many of his Rams teammates. He mentioned much of the roster, as well as the trainers, community relations department, strength coaches, equipment managers and general manager Charley Armey, plus Ray Ogas and Ray Agnew of the player programs department.

"And I'm going to miss the fans," Jackson said. "I'm going to miss the fans big-time, because I think we've got here in St. Louis some of the best fans. I'm saying 'we,' because I'm still sitting in my home right here in St. Charles. ... But you know, come Oct. 1, I'm looking forward to being on the other side and hearing some boos."

That's when Jackson, Detroit offensive coordinator Mike Martz and the rest of the Lions visit the Rams at the Edward Jones Dome. Jackson, 34, is expected to perform the same duties in Detroit that he did for the Rams as a swing player at end and tackle.

jthomas@post-dispatch.com 314-340-8197

RamsFan16

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Notebook: Jackson leaves team with no hard feelings

I'll miss Tyoka Jackson. I can't believe that we did not pick him up. He sounds like he has his head on straight and knows that it is just a job for him.... a really well paying job compared to us working fools, but still just a job.

I am betting that the Lions are looking a lot better this year after all the ex-ram player pickups that they have done. I guess Martz must have some pull in the player decisions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I was thinking the same. I didn't know that Martz was the new HC of the Lions.
    RamsFan16

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

He is not the HC at the moment, but he has a foot in the door so it seems.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Ah ha! That's more like it!

Remember that silly story -- reported by one of the "writers" a week ago or so? Saying that our good friend, ex-Ram Captain TJackson's locker was emptied, his belongings returned ... when he allegedly was not aware of his termination with the team?!?

Bah!

Best wishes to Jackson as a Lion. He sure has the heart for the brave and respected feline.
    Last edited by RealRam; -04-27-2006 at 01:24 AM.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

They walked into the restaurant wearing Detroit Lions hats and settled in for a nice meal. Barely 10 feet away were Rams coach Scott Linehan, defensive coordinator Jim Haslett, defensive line coach Brian Baker and Cleveland Browns free agent Jason Fisk, who could replace Jackson.
    This could be a good signing. I remember him being pretty good with the Chargers.

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

Assumimg Fisk is not signed, I would like to see some additional youth added to the D-line rotation. I liked Tyoka a lot, but at his age, his upside even as a locker room leader is not that great (he has lower overall team value - imo).

Go with young talent via draft (late rounds) or after the draft during that signing period.

ARF

Rambos is offline Registered User

"I'm not disappointed at all," Jackson said. "I wake up every day, I've got a beautiful wife, I've got a (baby) coming in three months, and I play in the National Football League. So every day is a sunny day to me. Believe me when I tell you that."
    This sums it up for me, thanks Tyoka for you hard work, best of luck!

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

I agree guys with most of the offseason I think we have done almost everything right , but not resigning jackson was a miss. I think he would have been a great player for our transition in defence

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Im not sure, i dont think the Rams think Jackson is a bad player, i just think that they want to get bigger along the defensive line. Thats where Fisk comes in, he is a big guy and has played nose tackle in a 3-4 defense, so he could very well be wearing the horns next season.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

I shall miss him alot he was the heart of our D ... With that said most our players looked so bad last year that it would be easy for a new coach to see that some where not doing their job ! I don't think Jackson was one of those , The players felt the turmoil in and remarked about it in the press its no wonder why when looking at tape you can see less than 100% on the field ... Thanks to Mr. T.J for our love of the fans and the team ... (He really did want to stay)...

tanus is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigtiger737
    I agree guys with most of the offseason I think we have done almost everything right , but not resigning jackson was a miss. I think he would have been a great player for our transition in defence
    I hear what you are saying, but do any of us even really know what type of defense Haslett is going to run and what he needs out of his players? He obviously has a vision, studied some tape, and made the decision that Tyoka's skill set was not what he was looking for to run his defense. That being said, I'll still miss him as I loved his attitude. I don't see how we can call it a miss yet though. We have to take a wait and see approach imo.

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz
    He is not the HC at the moment, but he has a foot in the door so it seems.
    "It's like deja vu, all over again."
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Jackson played for Tampa Bay prior to coming to St. Louis, and new Detroit head coach Rod Marinelli was the D-line coach for the Bucs during that span. I wouldn't put this signing all on Martz's shoulders.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!