Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By citr92
  • 1 Post By laram0

Thread: Rams Notebook: Kaepernick To Start vs. Rams

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Rams Notebook: Kaepernick To Start vs. Rams

Rams Notebook: Kaepernick to start vs. Rams

11 hours ago • By Kathleen Nelson knelson@post-dispatch.com 314-340-8233

San Francisco coach Jim Harbaugh kept his promise and cut the suspense Wednesday, announcing that Colin Kaepernick will start at quarterback Sunday when the ***** visit the Edward Jones Dome to meet the Rams.

Kaepernick made his first extended appearance in the teams’ 24-24 tie on Nov. 11, replacing Alex Smith after he suffered a concussion. Kaepernick completed 11 of 17 passes for 117 yards and rushed for 66 yards.

“Our plan would be to prepare Colin for the start against the Rams this week,” Harbaugh said on a conference call with reporters in St. Louis. “The factors are that we have two really good quarterbacks, two starting quarterbacks. Both have earned that. Both deserve that: Alex over a long period of time, Colin over the last three games. I feel like Colin has the hot hand right now, and that’s how we’ll proceed.”

Rather than address the stress of dealing with constant questions about the starting job, Kaepernick said simply, “It feels good that Coach has confidence in me going out there.”

Since playing against the Rams, Kaepernick has led the ***** to a dominating 32-7 victory over the Bears and a 31-21 win over the Saints.

For the season, he has completed 48 of 74 throws 680 yards and three touchdowns, with a passer rating of 102.1, and has rushed for 214 yards.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher praised Kaepernick for “mobility and accuracy. We didn’t confuse him. He made plays. And then to come back and do what he did on Monday night against the Bears was pretty impressive. Then, to carry it on again … was impressive.”

Jenkins wins award

Cornerback Janoris Jenkins was honored as the NFC player of the week after returning two interceptions for touchdowns in the Rams’ 31-17 victory over the Arizona Cardinals. He said he learned of the award after practice Wednesday through congratulations from fellow cornerback Cortland Finnegan but greeted the news with a workmanlike attitude.

“Cortland just told me,” he said. “It feels pretty good. I feel like we played good, but I feel like we can always play better. I’ll put it behind me and come out this week and get better.”

In addition to working on his ballhawking skills, Jenkins said he would continue to work on his touchdown celebration. He failed in two attempts to spin the ball on its nose.

“We’re working on that,” Finnegan said, and safety Craig Dahl demonstrated the proper technique.

All kidding aside, Jenkins credited Finnegan with offering him the most help through his rookie season.

“The first couple weeks I wasn’t able to see the route concepts,” Jenkins said. “I’m seeing things clearer now, thanks to Cortland, film study, him getting with me and just helping me on the way.

“When I’m at practice, he’s always on me. In the game, he’s always on me. No matter what it is, he’s always on me, making sure I’m ready and well-prepared. I thank him for that.”

Injury updates

After surprising almost everyone by playing Sunday, Rams wide receiver Danny Amendola missed practice and was back in a walking boot on the sidelines Wednesday.

Amendola suffered a heel injury against the Jets on Nov. 18 and walked the sidelines during practice last week in a boot. He was listed as doubtful for last Sunday’s game in Arizona but appeared in seven plays and caught one pass for 38 yards. He sat out the second half because of soreness, and Fisher expressed guarded optimism Monday that he would be able to practice this week. Instead, Amendola stood on the sideline once again.

Others missing practice were center Scott Wells (knee), who played Sunday in his first game since the injuring his foot in the season opener, running back Steven Jackson (foot), defensive end Robert Quinn (concussion) and linebacker Mario Haggan (elbow).

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Notebook: Kaepernick To Start vs. Rams

The kid does pose a threat, since we haven't handled running QBs as well as those who throw and our DBs pick the pass. He's an impressive physical specimen and has a very good arm, although the first time we played them his accuracy was off a bit, however, he's had some quality practice time. All in all it should be a very good game and let's hope the Rams pull one out. Go Rams!

macrammer is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoRam View Post
    The kid does pose a threat, since we haven't handled running QBs as well as those who throw and our DBs pick the pass. He's an impressive physical specimen and has a very good arm, although the first time we played them his accuracy was off a bit, however, he's had some quality practice time. All in all it should be a very good game and let's hope the Rams pull one out. Go Rams!
    Agreed. This kid does throw a ball with much more velocity then Smith.......And, he is fast. I believe he ran a 40 comparable to some of the running backs at the combine before draft........let's see what Fish has up his sleeve

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Agreed. This kid does throw a ball with much more velocity then Smith.......And, he is fast. I believe he ran a 40 comparable to some of the running backs at the combine before draft........let's see what Fish has up his sleeve
    We should gameplan similarly to what we offered against RGIII. With Kendall Hunter down, their running game won't be as strong as it usually is but I'd still watch the run as well. Emphasis on QB spy should slow down Kaep's legs.

citr92 is online now Registered User

i know they need a spy...but who?

i don't think kaepernick would like dunbar to be spying on him :P
    ZiaRam likes this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Welcome to St. Louis Kaeper "pick"!
    ZiaRam likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

In Smith you have a 70% completion percentage, what just 5 picks, 13 TD and a RAT of 104. Heck in the last game against us before he went out he had a TD and a RAT of 143.8.

kaepernick had no TD's and had a RAT of 84.7 against us. I'm glad we are playing the youngsters. He could play great and make a lot of plays or he may have an off game, something the Smith seems to never have.

Paratroopr is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    In Smith you have a 70% completion percentage, what just 5 picks, 13 TD and a RAT of 104. Heck in the last game against us before he went out he had a TD and a RAT of 143.8.

kaepernick had no TD's and had a RAT of 84.7 against us. I'm glad we are playing the youngsters. He could play great and make a lot of plays or he may have an off game, something the Smith seems to never have.
    Be careful what you wish for

Alex Smith's total season quarterback statistics are a combination of monster games against the Bills and Cardinals, along with a couple horrible games and in between games. Point being he's inconsistent.

IMO Kaepernick is a greater threat, and a much better talent. Smith's numbers are buffed by short, high percentage throws and a tendency to take the sack instead of getting rid of the ball.

PS: I'm a Niner fan. Hello everyone!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Paratroopr View Post
    Be careful what you wish for

Alex Smith's total season quarterback statistics are a combination of monster games against the Bills and Cardinals, along with a couple horrible games and in between games. Point being he's inconsistent.

IMO Kaepernick is a greater threat, and a much better talent. Smith's numbers are buffed by short, high percentage throws and a tendency to take the sack instead of getting rid of the ball.

PS: I'm a Niner fan. Hello everyone!
    Welcome..... I agree he has higher upside. Not sure he is the better QB today though.