RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams Notebook: Linehan gives the bad news in person

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    08/29/2006

In 1987, a sore-shouldered rookie quarterback from the University of Idaho was summoned to the office of Dallas Cowboys coach Tom Landry. Scott Linehan knew what was coming, but he was touched that Landry delivered the news personally.

"He didn't know me, but he met with me when he cut me," said Linehan, the Rams' first-year head coach. "That made an impression on me."

That's partly why Linehan spent five to 10 minutes Monday morning with each of the eight players released as the roster was pared to 75: running back Antoine Bagwell, defensive tackle Jeremy Calahan, wide receiver Jeremy Carter, tackle Adam Haayer, kicker Remy Hamilton, cornerback Kevin Timothee, tight end Rod Trafford and linebacker Drew Wahlroos.

Also, guard Claude Terrell was placed on injured reserve, officially ending his season. Terrell will have a second operation on his right wrist next week.

Later this week, the line to Linehan's second-floor office at Rams Park will be much longer. Teams must be down to 53 players by 3 p.m. Saturday (St. Louis time), with an eight-man practice squad to be determined soon thereafter. The Rams play their final preseason game Thursday night in Miami.

Linehan said he tells the deposed players "what I thought they did well, thank them for their time and then kind of give them an idea why we came to the decision. I think people are entitled to that."

As did Landry, apparently.

"I'll never forget looking across from him. It was kind of a surreal event, actually," Linehan recalled. "It's the hard part of the business. The one thing I can do with each of them is, I can tell them I was sitting in their chair at one time."

Terrell is disappointed

After starting 10 of the last 11 games in 2005, Terrell had wrist surgery Jan. 9. He figures he might have done further damage when he fell on it the second day of training camp.

"It really started bothering me, but I tried to give it a go," Terrell said. "One arm in this league, that isn't going to get it done. ...

"It's disappointing, because I put in a lot of work, and I felt like 2006 would be my year to step to the forefront, make a name for myself and help this team be successful."

Holt, Bruce practice

In a bit of surprise, wide receivers Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt were back at practice Monday and fully involved in the drills. Bruce has been nursing a sore hamstring; Holt hadn't been on the field since injuring his sternum Aug. 19 vs. Houston.

Linehan said that both "could be available" for Thursday's game, but added, "We haven't decided what we're going to do with our first units in all phases."

Bruce "is still not turning it over full-speed, which is OK," Linehan said. "But at some point we're going to have to get him to test that and make sure he feels 100 percent."

Holt had an MRI on Monday afternoon, which showed nothing more serious than a bruise.

Also, fullback Madison Hedgecock (ankle) practiced for the first time in more than a week, although his work was limited. Fullback Paul Smith (calf) suited up but only took a rep or two. Nose tackle Jimmy Kennedy (ankle) remained on the sideline.

Ram-blings

Tropical Storm Ernesto is expected to strike Florida as early as tonight, and Linehan said he didn't think Thursday's game would be affected. He did say that the team, scheduled to fly to Miami on Wednesday, might have to adjust its travel plans. "We'll figure that out in the next 24 hours," he said. ... Linehan said Ryan Fitzpatrick and Dave Ragone, fighting it out for the No. 3 quarterback job, would see extended action vs. the Dolphins. Neither played Saturday in Kansas City.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Notebook: Linehan gives the bad news in person

Well, at least now we know a personal side of Coach Linehan in terms of his professional / personal considerations towards some of our ex-players.

I also appreciate his Tom Landry story. Great experience, albeit on a good-bye note.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

out of curiosity, does anyone have any idea how much the guys on the practice team make? Do they remain under whatever contract they initially signed or do they make less?

some good news and bad news there...great that Bruce and Holt are back practicing...bad that Terell is gone for the season

tanus is offline Registered User

practice squad players make $4,000 a week when they are on the practice squad according to this website...

http://www.combines.com/leagues/nfl.asp

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

$4K a week is not a bad wage. But then most of these guys, sadly, have little chance of making the team and may never walk normal again.

RnD

GO RAMS!!