Rams Notebook: Mikell says he's feeling fine

October 11, 2012 12:35 am BY KATHLEEN NELSON

Safety Quintin Mikell returned to practice Wednesday with no apparent ill effects from the head injury he suffered last week in the Rams' 17-3 victory over the Cardinals.

"I'm fine. I'm feeling good," he said. He reported "no problems" from the exertion of practice.

Mikell collided with teammate Josh Hull while attempting to tackle Cardinals tight end Rob Housler after a 13-yard reception in the second quarter. Mikell was on the ground for a few minutes but eventually was able to walk off the field on his own.

"I remember a lot before and after," Mikell said. "It's just one of those things. It's football."

Asked if he would be ready to face the Dolphins on Sunday in Miami, Mikell said, "I'm good to go."

Neither Mikell nor Steven Jackson was listed on the injury report. Jackson suffered a groin injury against Washington on Sept. 16, and had been limited in practice leading up to the Cardinals game, in which he ran for 76 yards on 18 carries.

Also returning to practice was safety Matt Daniels (thigh), who was injured on a kickoff against the Redskins.

Defensive tackle Matt Conrath (knee) and defensive end Eugene Sims (head) were limited. Defensive end William Hayes (back) left the field during practice. LB Mario Haggan (thigh) and FB/Special teams captain Brit Miller (ankle) did not practice.

HEKKER WINS AWARD

The mantel at the Hekker-Zuerlein household is about to get crowded.

Punter Johnny Hekker was named NFC special teams player of the week, one week after kicker/roomie Greg Zuerlein earned the award.

"We haven't seen Greg's award yet, so we're not sure how much shelf space we're going to need," Hekker said.

Hekker set a Rams record by averaging 56.9 yards on seven punts in the win over Arizona. A week earlier, Zuerlein won the honor for kicking four field goals, including a franchise-record boot of 60 yards, in the Rams' 19-13 win over the Seahawks.

"It's great when it works out like that," Hekker said. "But it's not going to happen every game. I wish I could have my expectations set that high. ... I'd like to tip my hat to the protection. Those guys did a heck of a job. They deserve the award more than I do."

No word on who will do the dusting of the trophies, though neither does the cooking. They get some of their meals from Rams nutritionist Shawn Zell.

"Shawn pretty much provides the leftovers," Hekker said. "We just take it home (and) microwave."

FISHER'S TRIP

Rams coach Jeff Fisher took some time off over the weekend to travel to Auburn, Ala., where he watched his son, Trent, play special teams for the Auburn Tigers in a 24-7 loss to Arkansas.

"It was painful to watch, but I enjoyed the weekend," Fisher said.

RAM-BLINGS

Not practicing for the Dolphins on Wednesday were cornerback Richard Marshall (back) and running back Daniel Thomas (concussion).

The Rams re-signed center Chase Beeler to the practice squad and released defensive end Mason Brodine.