Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bar-bq

Thread: Rams Notebook: TE Harkey Promoted To Active Roster

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams Notebook: TE Harkey Promoted To Active Roster

Rams Notebook: TE Harkey promoted to active roster

11 hours ago • By Jim Thomas

During the earliest days of training camp this season, coach Jeff Fisher told reporters he liked Cory Harkey as a tight end prospect. Fisher liked him enough this week to promote him to the active roster from the practice squad.

The undrafted rookie from UCLA fills the roster spot created by last Saturday’s release of defensive tackle Kellen Heard.

“I’m super excited,” Harkey said. “This is something I’ve obviously been waiting for, and working my butt off. My whole thing is just to keep improving every day. You can’t just plateau – I’ve got to keep on getting better and better every week.”

Harkey, 6-4, 260, was known as a blocking tight end at UCLA, and has spent a lot of time with the Rams working on his route running. He’s the son of New York Yankees bullpen coach (and former major-league pitcher) Mike Harkey.

Even though his father works in New York, Harkey said he’s not a Jets fan. “He’s like me,” Harkey said. “I root for whatever team he’s on; he roots for whatever team I’m on.”

MORE QUICK

Rookie Brian Quick has had trouble getting on the field at wide receiver, but the Rams plan to get him involved on special teams.

“The great thing is Coach (Fisher) really keeps everybody alive to be used on special teams,” special teams coordinator John Fassel said. “He’s obviously a long guy. He’s got good speed. He’s a tough kid. So, we’ll get him some work on some cover teams and even some return teams and see what he can do. He’s raw and he’s athletic – so any of those guys usually equate to a pretty good special teams guy.”

SALUTING THE MILITARY

Several dozen veterans and active-duty members of the military watched practice Friday at Rams Park. Players and coaches signed autographs and posed for pictures with them after practice.

“It’s great,” Fisher said. “We let the players know early in the week and they were excited. It’s great to have them be in a situation where they can literally just stand there and watch practice. So it’s a good deal for both. It’s inspirational for the players as well.”

Sunday’s Rams-Jets game is military appreciation day, with Boeing and the Rams making 1,500 tickets available to members of the military and their families. In addition, the Rams and Hoffman Heating and Air Conditioning are making 500 such tickets available.

The Band of Mid America from Scott Air Force base will perform at halftime, and during the game Rams players will wear helmet decals representing the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard.

PETTIS RETURNS

After missing Thursday’s practice entirely, wide receiver Austin Pettis (toe) returned on a limited basis Friday and was listed as questionable for the Jets. Also listed as questionable were defensive end Eugene Sims (knee), safety Darian Stewart (knee), and linebacker Mario Haggan (thigh). Sims and Stewart were limited Friday; Haggan did not practice.

For the Jets, wide receiver Jeremy Kerley (heel/hamstring), running back Joe McKnight (ankle), running back Bilal Powell (concussion), linebacker Bart Scott (toe), and defensive tackle Sione Pouha (lower back/ankle) were all listed as questionable.

COSTLY HIT

San Francisco defensive lineman Ray McDonald was fined $21,000 by the NFL for his helmet-to-helmet hit on quarterback Sam Bradford late in the third quarter of last week’s contest at Candlestick Park. On the play, Bradford threw incomplete to Isaiah Pead on third-and-10 during a drive that resulted in a 27-yard field goal by Greg Zuerlein and a 17-7 Rams lead.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Rams Notebook: TE Harkey Promoted To Active Roster

Also mike Harkey pitched for the halos in the early 90s...

Trevor is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Notebook: TE Harkey Promoted To Active Roster

I don't like the part about Brian Quick having trouble getting on the field. Mardy Gilyard 2.0..

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I don't like the part about Brian Quick having trouble getting on the field. Mardy Gilyard 2.0.
    Yes, hopefully BQ is just finding his groove but I really think he's got the tools ... and talent? I'd like to see him become a starter, a reliable WR for the Rams.

Pun obviously and fully intended, he better be quick about it.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

The key word here is "had". I think that Quick is one of those players that needs hands on experience. Once he gets his game on and starts to grasp the offense he'll start to move into a more significant role. I too was expecting bigger things from Quick but he's starting to get into games and a better feel for the speed of the pro's.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Somewhere, Scott Linehan is smiling.
    TheBritishRam likes this.