Return To Glory is offline Registered User

Rams Notebook: Williams relishes his fresh start with the Rams

Rams Notebook: Williams relishes his fresh start with the Rams
    By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    08/04/2006

With major knee surgery and the infamous "love boat" incident behind him, former Minnesota Vikings running back Moe Williams took his first steps toward reclamation Thursday at Rams Park.

"It felt really good to be out there" at practice, said Williams, a Columbus, Ga., native who played college football at Kentucky. Williams added that testing his knee in contact drills bolstered his confidence. "It did, just to get that initial thought out of your mind: Is it going to hold up?" he said.

After being cleared medically, Williams, a free agent, signed a one-year deal worth $810,000 on Wednesday. He is expected to compete with Tony Fisher for the No. 2 job behind Steven Jackson, although the Rams will continue to look for backfield help.

Williams, 32, took limited reps Thursday; coach Scott Linehan is determined to bring him along slowly.

"He's got to condition while we practice," Linehan said. "You don't want a guy who hasn't been through an offseason program or 10 or 11 practices to go in right away, full-speed. You've got to control that and be smart with him."

Williams, listed at 6 feet 1 and 205 pounds, had surgery Nov. 15 to repair cartilage in his right knee after playing in just six games last season. About a month later, he was one of four Vikings charged with indecent, lewd and disorderly conduct for what police alleged were public sex acts during an Oct. 6 boat party on Lake Minnetonka, in suburban Minneapolis.

Williams ultimately pleaded guilty of disorderly conduct. He was fined $300 and ordered to complete 30 hours of community service.

On Thursday, Williams insisted firmly that his involvement was "kind of guilt by association. I've never pretended to be a saint, but I didn't do the things that were claimed that I did. ... As far as me having problems with women, that's never been an issue and never will be an issue."

His mother, Maj. Marethia Williams, is a medic in the Army Reserve who, he stressed, instilled strong values in him and doesn't put up with any nonsense. "My mom was a mom and a dad," Williams said. "She's a little, short, cocky woman, and trust me, she can handle you like a dad can. ... I've never done anything to disrespect my mother."

Williams has spent nine of his 10 NFL seasons with Minnesota, including three when Linehan was the Vikings' offensive coordinator. The two formed a strong bond, and when Linehan expressed interest in bringing him to St. Louis, Williams said he was "honored" by the invitation.

"I was biting at the bit," Williams said. "Scott called me to see how I was doing, physically and mentally. You want to play for a guy like that."

A controlled scrimmage is scheduled for 10:15 a.m. Saturday at Rams Park, and the public is invited. Admission and parking are free. ... Wide receiver Joshua Tinch, an undrafted rookie from Louisville, was released Thursday, creating a roster spot for Williams. ... All members of the offense did sprints after what Linehan termed a "sloppy" performance in the two-hour practice.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Notebook: Williams relishes his fresh start with the Rams

... All members of the offense did sprints after what Linehan termed a "sloppy" performance in the two-hour practice
    Now that's what I like to hear; you must pay for sloppy play.

No more, "We can fix that".
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Return To Glory is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Notebook: Williams relishes his fresh start with the Rams

6 foot 1. that is big. biggest running back that we have had in a while, besides steven jackson. his size is great but, we need to beef him up a little bit, he needs to go out and eat with adam timmerman and andy McCollum. AKA ( the dougnut brothers)