Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rams Notes:

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams Notes:

Rams are looking at Draft to boost linebacker corps
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Thursday, Mar. 15 2007

Free-agent linebacker Chris Draft was scheduled to arrive Wednesday night in
    St. Louis and continue his visit today. Draft, 31, recorded 111 tackles and a
    career-high 5 1/2 sacks last season for the Carolina Panthers.

Draft, who can play all three linebacker spots, started the first two games of
    2006 at weak-side linebacker, then started the next 14 at middle linebacker in
    place of the injured Dan Morgan. Draft had 1 1/2 sacks in Carolina's 15-0
    victory over the Rams in Game 10 last season.

Draft is 5 feet 11 and 232 pounds. He has made one free-agent trip already, to
    New Orleans, and plans to visit Tampa Bay at the end of this week.

A sixth-round draft choice by Chicago in 1998, Draft also has had stints with
    San Francisco (1999), Atlanta (2000-04), and Carolina (2005-06). He has started
    71 regular-season games over his NFL career, registering a career-high 178
    tackles with the Falcons in 2003.

The Rams have only four linebackers under contract: Jon Alston, Tim McGarigle,
    Pisa Tinoisamoa and Will Witherspoon. In addition, Brandon Chillar has been
    tendered (at $850,000) as a restricted free agent. Another free-agent
    linebacker, Ike Reese, visited Rams Park on Tuesday but left without a
    contract.

Ram-blings

WR Kevin Curtis headed home from his latest free-agent visit to Tennessee
    without a contract. ... Former Bears safety Todd Johnson signed a four-year,
    $3.9 million deal with the Rams, including an $800,000 signing bonus. ... The
    Rams have expressed initial interest in DE Grant Wistrom, but it appears
    Wistrom will take his time before deciding on a new team, or even if he wants
    to keep playing.

chipperjones is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Notes:

I think he would help us. I would have gone for him over Tully Banta-Cain.

Country is offline Registered User

Draft would be a nice signing he has the toughness and production the Rams could use, and at the same time is old enough that he won't cost us an arm and a leg to sign.

Don't be turned off by Draft's size he is a tough guy.

Oh Kevin why did things have to go the way they did?

im_a_king_co07 is offline Registered User

I would take either one. both would be even better. then we would have very good depth at linebacker.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I've never heard of Chris Draft in my entire life.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

He'd be a good pick up. With Dan Morgan hurt and WW gone last year, he was extremely productive. He also had 124 tackles a few years back with the Falcons.

While he's not a long-term answer at LB, he would take the pressure off the Rams to draft a LB in the first round, and allow the team to use more of a best player available strategy.

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

He is one of those under-rated guys,who does a solid if not spectacular job.He had a very good year in 06',moving to the middle after Morgan went down.He recorded 111 tackles and had a career high 5.5 sacks.:l

JRoc is offline Registered User

He'd be a good signing. Pisa, Spoon and Draft would make a very solid group of starting LBs. Obviously he wouldn't be a long term solution but if Chillar can improve (and I think he will) or we draft someone on the first day he could do the job while they develop. Reese would be a decent pick up for depth. He's a solid enough player and we could do with a couple more LBs on the roster.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I wouldn't be opposed to this signing (insert obligatory "for the right price" clause here). He was a backup in '05 to each of the Panthers starters (Morgan, Short, Spoon), but had a fine season last year as starting MLB. He had triple digit tackles and the most sacks for any Panther not named Peppers. He doesn't bring a lot of size (same size as Pisa & Spoon) or youth (just turned 31), but he is solid.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think he'd be a good addition. We'll have to add a little bit of depth one way or another for next season, and we've got plenty of young linebackers on the roster already. Witherspoon's the old man of the group at 26.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

This is a guy I've been looking at as a possible addition to our LB group since before free agency started. I'd be quite happy to see Draft brought in for depth and potentially to push for playing time.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

The rams need to throw some serious money at this guy. It's getting late into FA and there hasn't been a major signing on the defense yet. The coaching staff tried to low ball Banta Cain, and he went elsewhere like he should have. We got some really good deals this year, but if they are cheap with this guy, "Draft" he will walk somewhere else also. It's about time the coaching staff gets more aggressive and fixes our "D" like they said they would. There's not exactly a lot of players left in the FA of this caliber. SPEND THE MONEY!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    The rams need to throw some serious money at this guy. It's getting late into FA and there hasn't been a major signing on the defense yet. The coaching staff tried to low ball Banta Cain, and he went elsewhere like he should have. We got some really good deals this year, but if they are cheap with this guy, "Draft" he will walk somewhere else also. It's about time the coaching staff gets more aggressive and fixes our "D" like they said they would. There's not exactly a lot of players left in the FA of this caliber. SPEND THE MONEY!
    1. Zygmunt negotiates contracts, not Linehan or the staff.

2. What did we offer Banta Cain?

3. Dan Snyder agrees with you whole-heartedly.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

It could be just my observation, but do fans tend to think FA's on defense are overpriced but FA's on offense are worth the money? To me, Bennett was way overpaid by the Rams but no one seemed to have a problem with it. Is Clements at 10 million too much? It's according to your competition. Look who the whiners have to play 4 times a year...the Rams and Cardinals. Two teams with stacked personnel at WR.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Who stole Tx???

I want the ol' Tx back that was positve and was a breath of fresh air and looked at things from a different angle. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    It could be just my observation, but do fans tend to think FA's on defense are overpriced but FA's on offense are worth the money? To me, Bennett was way overpaid by the Rams but no one seemed to have a problem with it. Is Clements at 10 million too much? It's according to your competition. Look who the whiners have to play 4 times a year...the Rams and Cardinals. Two teams with stacked personnel at WR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast