BerlinThunder is offline Registered User

Rams Notes: Brown, NFL aren't on same page on suspension appeal

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

The days are dwindling, and Fakhir Brown's frustration level is rising.

On July 13, the NFL announced that Brown, the Rams' starting right cornerback, had been suspended for the first four games of the regular season for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy.

Later, Brown said he had appealed the ruling. But league spokesman Greg Aiello said Tuesday that "we never announce a suspension until the appeal process has been completed. So, I don't understand what he's talking about."

Either an appeal was heard and denied, or none was filed, Aiello explained. Aiello said he didn't know whether Brown had appealed.

Still, Brown told reporters earlier Tuesday that with the opener only 12 days off, he still was awaiting word from the league. "I'm kind of worried about it," Brown said. "I haven't heard anything."

According to Aiello, Brown isn't going to hear anything. "He might've requested an audience with someone, but it's not an appeal under the policy," Aiello said. "There's nothing left to appeal."

Ted Marchibroda, Brown's agent, declined to comment.

Brown was permitted to practice with the team during training camp and has played in the exhibition games. His ban starts Friday, the day after the Rams conclude their exhibition schedule against Kansas City at the Edward Jones Dome.

"He's been out here practicing hard every day," coach Scott Linehan said. "It's a hard situation, but ... at least we knew to plan for it and he can prepare himself for what he has to do to be ready after four games."

This camp, Brown's eighth in the NFL, "seemed kind of different," he said. "The coaches went about it the best way they could. ... They had to put the other guys in that are going to be able to play. And at the same time, they let me get some reps in so I could try to stay sharp with my skills."

Third-year pro Ron Bartell will start in place of Brown, who won't be paid while on suspension, costing him about $224,000. Brown, who is eligible for reinstatement Oct. 1, acknowledged that he worries about winning his job back.

"I'm very concerned; I want to be a starter," he said. "I'm just going to have to stay in shape and try to do as much as I can to stay around the game."

ROSTER TRIM

The Rams reached the 75-man roster limit by designating offensive lineman Dave Pearson as waived/injured. The team is working on an injury settlement with Pearson, who suffered a bruised knee Friday at Oakland.

The final 53-man roster must be set by Saturday. "It's very difficult," Linehan said. "You start talking about either/or now, because there are some interesting competitions that hopefully will be decided between now and the end of the game" Thursday.

SIXTH IN DEFENSE

Not that it means a whole lot, but the Rams rank sixth in the NFL in total defense after three exhibition games. They're No. 2 vs. the pass and 27th vs. the run, the primary area of concern after they finished 31st in that category last season.

The Rams have given up 3.9 yards per rush, compared with their 4.3 regular-season average in 2006. "At least it's a good start and we can work on correcting some of the other things," Linehan said.

RAM-BLINGS

Guard Richie Incognito (ankle) sat out Tuesday, and Dominique Thompson (ribs) practiced in a red "no contact" jersey. ... Only the Chiefs have scored fewer points (29) than the Rams (36) in the preseason.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams Notes: Brown, NFL aren't on same page on suspension appeal

What a rediculous situation. Brown needs a new agent and a new attitude.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is online now Registered User

Maybe he just wanted a 4 week vacation?

thoey is offline Registered User

Well, he obviously isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. But then we knew that when he got busted...
    This space for rent...