RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams Notes: Byrd is expected in camp despite trial dates

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    07/25/2007
    Dominique Byrd

Tight end Dominique Byrd faces trial dates for two off-the-field incidents over the past eight months. But the Rams expect him in training camp Thursday and have not heard from the NFL about a possible suspension under Commissioner Roger Goodell's new personal conduct policy.

Byrd has a trial date Aug. 16 in Van Nuys (Calif.) Superior Court on charges of driving under the influence and being an unlicensed driver. Those charges stem from an arrest March 4.

He also has a trial date Dec. 10 in St. Louis Circuit Court for assault and armed criminal action for his supposed role in a scuffle at a nightclub last December.

Meanwhile, it's possible that an arrest in late June of defensive tackle Claude Wroten in Baton Rouge, La., may be resolved quietly. According to the district attorney's office in Baton Rouge, no charges or trial date has been set.

n late June, Wroten forced open a door to a room inside his girlfriend's residence and removed some items belonging to him. Wroten reported the incident and plans to pay for the damage.

A FAILED TEST

Multiple sources have told the Post-Dispatch that cornerback Fakhir Brown's four-game drug suspension was a result of him refusing to be tested, and not for the discovery of any banned substances in his system.

Brown is appealing the suspension.

IT'S OFFICIAL

Running back Marshall Faulk is officially retired from the NFL. All of Faulk's retirement paperwork was turned in to the league Tuesday.

That means Faulk is off the Rams' 80-man training camp roster, and his scheduled base salary of $820,000 no longer counts against the team's 2007 salary cap.

However, the team remains on the hook for "dead" money of $2 million this year and $2 million in 2008, all of which represents unamortized signing bonuses from Faulk's past contracts.

COMING AND GOING

Defensive tackle Junior Siavii, a 6-foot-5, 330-pound street free agent, visited Rams Park on Tuesday but left without a contract.

A second-round draft pick by Kansas City in 2004 out of Oregon, Siavii played in 26 games with no starts for the Chiefs in 2004 and 2005. He registered 27 tackles with one sack in that time. Slowed by knee problems, Siavii was cut by Kansas City last preseason.

The Rams have released undrafted rookie Anthony James, an undersized offensive tackle from Louisiana Tech.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Notes: Byrd is expected in camp despite trial dates

the thing is, if Brown didnt have anything in his system then why refuse to be tested?

general counsel is online now Registered User

Tomahawk, if you can think of a good answer to your question we are going to award you the queen's medal. As usual, you are 100% on point- there is no reason to refuse the test if you are clean.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    the thing is, if Brown didnt have anything in his system then why refuse to be tested?
    The bigger question is why after refusing to be tested, is he appealing the suspension?? What is this guy thinking?? I just don't get it. I guess we'll find out if the details of the appeal come out.:x

RamsNation is offline Registered User

Fakhir Brown is obviously "guilty as all get out" and thats why he didn't take the test, and he might as well drop his appeal and probably will cause he has as much chance of winning his appeal as M. Vick has of starting weel 1.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

The way i see it, he must have had something real bad in his system.

He knew by skipping the test that he would miss four games, so maybe he had something in his system that would have resulted in more then a four game suspension if it was found. I dont know if there is such a drug, but its the only logical conclusion i can draw from this situation.

Unless he had a very very good reason for missing the test, appealing the suspension is just going to be a waste of time

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

I'd be willing to bet that he is appealing it now because the substance is no longer in his system. This is just my own opinion, but I'm thinking he probably smoked a little cheba. Hell, Wroten probably told him where he could get a hold of the bomb a$$ $h!#.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Defensive tackle Junior Siavii, a 6-foot-5, 330-pound street free agent, visited Rams Park on Tuesday but left without a contract.
    I know we, all too often, have to hear fans scream about DT draft busts, but the Chiefs really bit it on this guy. Too bad, too. He was a stud at Oregon, and could have been a hole plugger. Bad knees really suck.
    Meanwhile, it's possible that an arrest in late June of defensive tackle Claude Wroten in Baton Rouge, La., may be resolved quietly. According to the district attorney's office in Baton Rouge, no charges or trial date has been set.

n late June, Wroten forced open a door to a room inside his girlfriend's residence and removed some items belonging to him. Wroten reported the incident and plans to pay for the damage.
    I openly admit it when I'm wrong. I earlier stated the only people who cared about the Wroten incident were in either St. Louis or Baton Rouge. Now we see, not even Baton Rouge cares. Again, Wroten was stupid for doing it, but nobody outside St. Louis (in the broad fan term) cares.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RealRam is offline Registered User

Ehh, this TE Byrd...I'm not really interested in him being part of our team. Unless, of course, he proves himself worthy during camp. But somehow I kind of rather see him out of the 2007 Rams picture.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Ehh, this TE Byrd...I'm not really interested in him being part of our team. Unless, of course, he proves himself worthy during camp. But somehow I kind of rather see him out of the 2007 Rams picture.

Hey RealRam,

You'll probably get your wish. I cannot see us carrying 4 tight ends if you count McMichael, Klopfenstein and Walker.

Go Rams!

RealRam is offline Registered User

And BTW, Welcome to the Clan, 8352! ...Indeed MDE, GO RAMS! :r