Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams Notes: Coach says Witherspoon will stay at middle LB

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    03/29/2007

PHOENIX Rams coach Scott Linehan issued a ceasefire on offseason speculation that Will Witherspoon might be moved from the middle linebacker spot in 2007.

"He's going to play there," Linehan said Wednesday. "(Linebacker coach) Rick Venturi showed me a study on Will from the middle linebacker spot, and he's one of the top 10 linebackers in the league from there in tackles.

"One thing about putting him in the middle, he's able to be a more productive tackler for us, and play sideline to sideline from there. He's got one full year of playing (middle) linebacker full-time. It'd be hard for me to believe he's not going to be a lot better next year."

On another depth chart topic, Linehan said Ron Bartell's strong play at nickel back late last season makes the position his to lose in 2007.

Where's Butler?

Cornerback Jerametrius Butler has yet to show up for the Rams' offseason conditioning program, which is concluding its second week. Butler was a forgotten man on defense in 2006, appearing in only six games and playing sparingly from scrimmage.

"I have not talked to him since the end of the season," Linehan said. "You know he's unhappy with the way the season went not playing. I'd like to see him recharged and refocused, and hope he gives it a run to get back on the field for us."

But the Rams have signed two backup cornerbacks during free agency in Mike Rumph and Lenny Walls. Linehan also has dropped hints about taking a cornerback at some point in the draft. So Butler could be trade bait.

Linehan also confirmed Wednesday that offensive guard Claude Terrell has yet to show up for the offseason program.

Roger meets Pacman

Commissioner Roger Goodell will meet with two of the league's reigning "bad boys" Tennessee's Pacman Jones and Cincinnati's Chris Henry on April 3 in New York.

"It's part of hearings that I've had with a number of players and coaches that are potentially facing disciplinary action, to get their perspective, to get their understanding, so I can look them in the eye and make them hear how important this is to the league," Goodell said. "And help me make a better decision (on possible discipline)."

Jones and Henry have both been arrested multiple times over the last couple of years.

Spiking is curbed

League owners approved a proposal that makes spiking the ball a 5-yard penalty (except in the end zone after a touchdown).

Team owners also approved a proposal to make review of "down by contact" plays, as well as the 60-second time limit on viewing replays, permanent parts of the instant replay system.

A proposal to move the kickoff from the 30-yard line to the 35 in overtime was tabled when it became apparent it lacked enough support to pass. . A proposal to increase the game-day roster to 47 from 45 was rejected.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams Notes: Coach says Witherspoon will stay at middle LB

WW second year at the position. If he was top ten last season as Linehan stated than he should show improvement with the 1 season of experience under his belt.

So with Kennedy improving (Hasletts project) and WW having another season at MLB maybe just maybe the run defense is already better than last season?

general counsel is offline Registered User

note that lard ass terrell hasnt shown up. you can forget about that guy being part of the team.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I'd be shocked if Terrell or Butler, either one, played another down for the Rams.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

i believe that we are trying to trade butler for a #6 and will take a #7.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'd take Butler for a full rack of dry rub ribs and a beer right now. Butler had his moments but inconsistency was his problem.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I'd take Butler for a full rack of dry rub ribs and a beer right now. Butler had his moments but inconsistency was his problem.
    Ummmm, ribs and BEER! Better make it two full racks, and I'll throw in Terrell.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

keith m. klink Guest

HEY, don't forget us! , damn , i'll drive them to the bus station for a beer , and i'll even buy my own rib's. hell throw in a fricken salad, and i'll pay for gas. i knew terrell was going to do this, he said, I didn't have the surgery, but the rehab went fine and i'll be ready to play. what a dink. now timmerman doesn't look so bad does he.

RamsFan16 Guest

Thats alright, Willis can play SAM!

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I still believe that if the right guy comes along (via trade offer or draft) they won't hesitate to move Spoon to the outside. It's unlikely because of the very few options out there, but if it means an overall upgrade to the LB corps, why not? Pisa has played SLB before, and while it may not be his best spot, he's at least as good as Chillar there.

Commissioner Roger Goodell will meet with two of the league's reigning "bad boys" Tennessee's Pacman Jones and Cincinnati's Chris Henry on April 3 in New York.

"It's part of hearings that I've had with a number of players and coaches that are potentially facing disciplinary action, to get their perspective, to get their understanding, so I can look them in the eye and make them hear how important this is to the league," Goodell said. "And help me make a better decision (on possible discipline)."

Jones and Henry have both been arrested multiple times over the last couple of years.
    Props to Goodell for meeting with these players face-to-face to get their side of the story and input on the new policy.

:l

-jake-

eldfan is offline Registered User

"On another depth chart topic, Linehan said Ron Bartell's strong play at nickel back late last season makes the position his to lose in 2007."

I love that move.
    :ramlogo:

blood85 Guest

Maybe we can get a Keg for Butler.

sbramfan Guest

"He's going to play there," Linehan said Wednesday. "(Linebacker coach) Rick Venturi showed me a study on Will from the middle linebacker spot, and he's one of the top 10 linebackers in the league from there in tackles.

Translation: We missed the boat on getting a true middle linebacker in FA, so we're stuck with WW.

Why is everyone down on Butler? The one game he saw playing time, he recovered a game winning fumble? And he was our best corner the year before. If he's causing problems now, it's likely just because he's been dissed with this new staff. He will succeed elsewear if they let him go and we'll have lost a good CB.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan
    Why is everyone down on Butler? The one game he saw playing time, he recovered a game winning fumble? And he was our best corner the year before. If he's causing problems now, it's likely just because he's been dissed with this new staff. He will succeed elsewear if they let him go and we'll have lost a good CB.
    Agreed, I hope he gets a fair chance this year. I have a feeling that Butler has been in Haslett's doghouse from the very beginning. As average as his career has been, the fact that he has to compete with Mike Rumph for the fourth spot is an all-new low. Rumph doesn't even belong in the NFL.

:l

-jake-
    Last edited by evil disco man; -03-30-2007 at 09:05 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man View Post
    Pisa has played SLB before
    And dislocated his shoulder eight separate times during that season.

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan View Post
    Why is everyone down on Butler? The one game he saw playing time, he recovered a game winning fumble? And he was our best corner the year before.
    One, I don't think his recovering that fumble has much weight in the Butler argument. We're not talking about him making a play in coverage or actually forcing the turnover himself. He was in the right place at the right time and jumped on the ball. That's great, but I don't find it overly impressive.

Two, he wasn't our best corner the year before. The year before he was on IR with his leg injury. So he's basically been at best marginally used defensively for two years now, making him one giant question mark.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast