Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams Notes: 'D' takes a big hit in the stats

By Bill Coats and Kathleen Nelson
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Tuesday, Jan. 01 2008

After showing considerable promise at the start of the second half of the
    schedule, the Rams' defense wilted badly over the final three games — lopsided
    losses to Green Bay (33-14), Pittsburgh (41-24) and Arizona (48-19).

That slump pushed the Rams to 21st overall in total defense at season's end
    after they had inched up near the middle of the 32-team league. They yielded
    only two fewer points in the last three contests than they did in the previous
    six.

"We competed but made mistakes that were costly to us; it's not the way you
    want to end the season," middle linebacker Will Witherspoon said. "But it's
    over. It's beyond the point now. We've got to move forward from here."

Witherspoon might want to pause first, though, and reflect on what arguably was
    the best season of his six-year career. He led the team in tackles for the
    second consecutive season and also collected a career- and team-high seven
    sacks.

Despite the late swoon, Witherspoon doesn't think the defense has that far to
    go to become a potent unit.

"It's just that we've got to be consistent," he said. "Every single week, we've
    got to go out and be the same team. Teams have done a good job of scheming
    against us, and we've got to learn to adjust better. We've got to learn to grow
    into that."

MCCOLLUM'S FUTURE

It was far from the most satisfying of Andy McCollum's 14 NFL seasons. Still,
    after missing virtually all of 2006 with a severe knee injury, McCollum
    remained generally healthy and was one of the few offensive linemen to suit up
    for every game.

As for 2008 ... McCollum, 37, is in no hurry to resolve anything. "I'm going to
    take some time, let the knees rest," he said. "I'll see how I feel in the next
    few weeks and make a decision then."

The decision on McCollum's future with the Rams might not be his, however. His
    contract is up, and it's uncertain whether the team wants to bring him back.
    "It's hard not to think about that," McCollum said.

RAM-BLINGS

Cornerback Fakhir Brown's ribs were bruised, not broken, when he was kicked
    inadvertently by Cardinals wideout Larry Fitzgerald late in the first half.
    Brown didn't return to the game, and rookie Jonathan Wade stepped into his
    spot. ... Offensive lineman Todd Steussie plans to have "clean-up" surgery on
    his ankle in the offseason. ... McCollum, center Brett Romberg and linebacker
    Brandon Chillar are the only regulars eligible to become unrestricted free
    agents.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Notes: 'D' takes a big hit in the stats

This defense was overhyped- the strong showings were generally against bad teams. The last three offenses were good and that's why they got destroyed. I think people were expecting too much out of these players and Haslett has proven to be a pretty big dissapointment in his two seasons as DC. Pittsburg has shown they can field a dominant defense without him and the Saints never put out anything more than an average defense, so maybe the Steelers just really know how to draft well defensively and Haslett was a beneficiary of that. We've only shown marginal improvement under him. It's really time for him and Linehan to move on. I was so excited when they hired him, but lost that shortly after watching this defense play last year.

Rambos is online now Registered User

This defense was overhyped- the strong showings were generally against bad teams. The last three offenses were good and that's why they got destroyed. I think people were expecting too much out of these players and Haslett has proven to be a pretty big dissapointment in his two seasons as DC. Pittsburg has shown they can field a dominant defense without him and the Saints never put out anything more than an average defense, so maybe the Steelers just really know how to draft well defensively and Haslett was a beneficiary of that. We've only shown marginal improvement under him. It's really time for him and Linehan to move on. I was so excited when they hired him, but lost that shortly after watching this defense play last year.
    I disagree, we where missing Little,Hill and Pisa, most of the year. Haslett had to create a pass rush. Hall was great against the run but did not provide a rush. With AC and Ryan, the return of Little, the addtion of a Chris Long, Haslett will get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I disagree, we where missing Little,Hill and Pisa, most of the year. Haslett had to create a pass rush. Hall was great against the run but did not provide a rush. With AC and Ryan, the return of Little, the addtion of a Chris Long, Haslett will get it done.

Oh come on, everyone wants to give Linehan a mulligan because of injuries, but Haslett doesn't get that luxury. He's had a relatively healthy defense all year and translated that into the 21st ranked defense. Little was doing nothing while he was in there, Hill ran off his mouth more than he actually covered anyone, and Draft is a very capable backup to Pisa. There are no excuses for Haslett failing.

Oh come on, everyone wants to give Linehan a mulligan because of injuries,
    No mulligan needed, here is the facts. When he got here and with the players he had in his fist year we got ran over like
    a high school team. Not this year only two player went over 100 yards. That came late in the year. So I say he did improve this D big time. Are they going to flat out wins games, not yet. But they are way better then they where.

Hill ran off his mouth more than he actually covered anyone,
    Hill had a very soild year as a shut down CB, you need to check your numbers on that one.

There are no excuses for Haslett failing.
    He did not fail IMO, our D kept us in a lot of games, where the O had scored on avg 6 points in second halves of games. The offense had way more turn overs in the second halves also.

We finished 20th against the run in 07.We where 31 almost dead last the year before, It looks like we got better too me.

This D finished 10th in turn INT's, too bad the O gave it back so much.

Haslett kept the ball in the fairway he does not need a mulligan.
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-01-2008 at 06:51 PM.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

I agree with Rambos here, the D has improved from a year ago. The fact that our offense rarely stayed on the field, hardly scored, and constantly put our D in bad positions didn't help them at all.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I felt like we saw some real improvement on the defense. We had some bad games, and certain players had outright awful games. However, the defense also kept us in a lot of the games that could have turned into blowouts early. The pass rush was horrendous with Little injured and no other defensive end really stepping up in his place. Haslett was pulling out every trick in the book to try to get to the quarterback, but there's only so much one can do when the line isn't getting any pressure off the edge.

I feel more comfortable with Witherspoon in the middle than I did at this time last year. Chillar continued to improve. Atogwe started looking like the kind of ballhawk we need at safety. Ryan and Carricker had promising rookie seasons. Hill looked good when healthy. So the defense still needs work, but it seems like we've got something to build on now. That's better than when Linehan and Haslett arrived and there were only a few players we'd even want to keep on the team.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -01-02-2008 at 09:42 AM.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Hill had a very soild year as a shut down CB, you need to check your numbers on that one.
    I'd be very careful about using those words to describe any players not named Champ Bailey, Chris McAllister, Marcus Trufant or Asante Samuel.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

In my opinion school's still out on Haslett. He deserves a full 3 seasons as DC before we rush to judgement.

As a shut down CB, is what he played. He had no help as we blitz so much. He was on on with all alone. He played well, I;m not say he is a Champ Bailey, not yet well see.

Yeah, these sound like "Shut down CB" numbers to me...

In 8 games-

35 tackles, 8 passes defensed, and 1 int.

He's got quite a ways to go before we label him a "Shutdown Corner".

Secondly, I love how everyone uses how badly we finished in defense last year- do you know who our Defensive Coordinator was last year??? Thanks right- Jim Haslett. So, in two years, he's finished almost dead last and now in the bottom 4th of the league. Let's fire Linehan and hand over the Head Coaching gig to Haslett right now. He's awesome. I mean really- how often could you find a defensive coordinator who's able to come in, field one of the worst defenses in the league, and then make them marginally better the next season. It's got to be a one in a million shot. As a matter of fact, I'm going to call Canton and see if they started working on his bust yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    We had some bad games, and certain players had outright awful games. However, the defense also kept us in a lot of the games that could have turned into blowouts early.
    Our bad games were against good teams. The games our defense did well in were against bad teams. So, against bad teams, we certainly improved, but against good offenses, we still looked like the same sorry azz Rams defense that has been killing us for years.

If Hill played 16 games T INT
    Hill 70 2
    Nate Clements 92 4
    Champ Bailey 84 3

It's not like he is just running his moiuth as you stated.

Spin like you want...The games our defense did well in were against bad teams. Before Haslett our D was making any RB look like they where all world. Tell me Ryan and AC, did not show hope, I will say you just did not watch enough games. Only two rusher went over 100 yards. The last one AC was out of the game after the first quarter.

now in the bottom 4th of the league...put a number on that where did we finish?
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-02-2008 at 03:38 PM.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'm not sold on Tye Hill yet. He's very spotty at CB. I too wouldn't say that he is a shut down corner by any means.

If Hill played 16 games T INT
    Hill 70 2
    Nate Clements 92 4
    Champ Bailey 84 3

It's not like he is just running his moiuth as you stated.

Spin like you want...The games our defense did well in were against bad teams. Before Haslett our D was making any RB look like they where all world. Tell me Ryan and AC, did not show hope, I will say you just did not watch enough games. Only two rusher went over 100 yards. The last one AC was out of the game after the first quarter.

now in the bottom 4th of the league...put a number on that where did we finish?
    Should have, could have...but he didn't. He also could have been beaten like a red-headed stepchild more like Steve Smith did to him in Game 1 if he played in more games- who knows? When he actually plays in those games and produces those numbers, then we can begin talking about this. Until then, I wouldn't put him in the same breath as Baily and Clements.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast