Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    moloch41 Guest

Re: Rams Notes: 'D' takes a big hit in the stats

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    now in the bottom 4th of the league...put a number on that where did we finish?
    Surely- these were taken from NFL.com

21st Overall

31st in ppg

21st against the pass for 225.8 yds/Game

21st in sacks

10th in Ints

20th against the run

25th in 20+ yd runs given up

25th in 40+ yd runs given up

RamOfDenmark Guest

Our defense has improved I think. But not as much as we thought, we have been blown out by the better teams especially late in the season. Statistically it looks real ugly, but to some extent our horrid offense has hurt our defense with their 3-and-outs and turnovers leading to lots of time of possession for the other team and therefore yards and points*. We are a little bit better on D than it looks from the stats. But improving marginally from arguably the worst defense in the league is hardly a miraculous achievement. I was a much bigger supporter of Haslett weeks ago, now I'm getting more skeptical. On the bright side the players Haslett has helped pick in draft and free agency have worked out well so far.

In conclusion I'm willing to give Haslett one more year. But as I've said before I believe Linehan should be fired, and if the new (hypothetical) head coach wanted to bring in his own DC instead of Haslett then so be it, I wouldn't really protest either.

* I would be very interested to see a time-of-possession stat for all NFL teams, I'd bet we are ranking down at the very bottom this year. But I have been unable to find any such stat. It would shed some more light on how much our offense really hurt our defense.

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    * I would be very interested to see a time-of-possession stat for all NFL teams, I'd bet we are ranking down at the very bottom this year. But I have been unable to find any such stat. It would shed some more light on how much our offense really hurt our defense.

If I'm reading this correctly- the Rams defense was on the field for 29:52 a game. By contrast, the #1 ranked Pittsburg Steelers were on the field for 26:50. That's a difference of 3:02 per game. Does 3 minutes more a game translate into 20 spots lower in the rankings? I would say not.

Rambos is offline Registered User

If I'm reading this correctly- the Rams defense was on the field for 29:52 a game. By contrast, the #1 ranked Pittsburg Steelers were on the field for 26:50. That's a difference of 3:02 per game. Does 3 minutes more a game translate into 20 spots lower in the rankings? I would say not.
    I think there are other factors, when total points given up are a factor in your overall rank.

Special teams play
    Offensive turnovers
    Field position

moloch41 Guest

I think there are other factors, when total points given up are a factor in your overall rank.

Special teams play
    Offensive turnovers
    Field position
    Overall Ranking- is defined by the NFL as YPG. So, there were only 11 teams that gave up more total yds than the Rams. PPG is another category, which we did not fare well in either...

Rambos is offline Registered User

Overall Ranking- is defined by the NFL as YPG. So, there were only 11 teams that gave up more total yds than the Rams.
    Ok so how does,
    the Rams defense was on the field for 29:52 a game. By contrast, the #1 ranked Pittsburg Steelers were on the field for 26:50. That's a difference of 3:02 per game. Does 3 minutes more a game translate into 20 spots lower in the rankings
    ...come into play? If it's not based on time, but yardage.

moloch41 Guest

Ok so how does,...come into play? If it's not based on time, but yardage.
    Because Denmark made the comment that he was interested in seeing if TOP had anything to do with how badly our defense fared. I think the stats show that it is pretty irrelevent since the #1 ranked defense was only on the field 3 minutes less a game than the Rams at #21 were.

RamOfDenmark Guest

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Because Denmark made the comment that he was interested in seeing if TOP had anything to do with how badly our defense fared. I think the stats show that it is pretty irrelevent since the #1 ranked defense was only on the field 3 minutes less a game than the Rams at #21 were.
    Whoops, it turns out those TOP stats are actually on nfl.com which I checked before, I must've missed them the first time somehow.

Anyway a quick calculation might go something like this: we allow 341.1 yards per game during 30 minutes TOP, that works out to 11.4 yards per minute (on average), times 3 minutes difference in TOP that's 34.2 yards per game, subtracting that from our previous stat of 341.1 yards per game that's now 306.9 yards per game allowed.

306.9 yards allowed per game would place us at #9 in the league (we're #21 now), placed between Redskins & Cowboys. Admittedly those calculations are a bit naive (although averaging things out might not be off so much when you look at an entire season) but it doesn't look entirely irrelevant so far.

The real problem is that when you look at other teams, Indianapolis and Tampa Bay have both been on the field around 30 minutes like us (30:11 & 29:33 respetively) and still they've both allowed around 280 yards per game (2nd and 3rd in the league) to our 340.

Besides that the TOP stat itself is not influenced just by the offense losing the ball, it's also negatively impacted by the defense's inability to stop the other offense obviously. It also depends on whether the defense gives up big plays or just keep leaking yardage slowly (and the same for offense).

So I guess in conclusion, I would say it is not possible to look at TOP and draw any conclusions based on that alone. The TOP is too interconnected to a lot of other things to do that. Our defense does not look good in defensive stats and looking at TOP did not make it prettier.
    Last edited by RamOfDenmark; -01-03-2008 at 11:20 AM.

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    Besides that the TOP stat itself is not influenced just by the offense losing the ball, it's also negatively impacted by the defense's inability to stop the other offense obviously. It also depends on whether the defense gives up big plays or just keep leaking yardage slowly (and the same for offense).
    That's all I was saying when I said it was irrelevent. It doesn't seem to have a direct connection to overall defense, ppg, etc...

Our defense does not look good in defensive stats and looking at TOP did not make it prettier.
    I would have to concur with you there, sir.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12