RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams Notes: Rams' defense is No. 7 in NFL

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    09/25/2007

The Rams' surprising ineffectiveness on offense is receiving plenty of publicity. Maybe notoriety is a better word.

Despite having an assortment of weapons at their disposal, the Rams have been unable to put many dents in the scoreboard — they're averaging just 10.7 points after three games. A rash of injuries to the offensive line has complicated the situation, but the meager production still is puzzling.

Turn to the other side of the ball, though, and the picture is far brighter. While the offense ranked 25th in the 32-team NFL before Monday night's game, the defense was No. 7 overall. Who would've figured that?

When defensive coordinator Jim Haslett met with his unit Monday, a day after a deflating 24-3 loss at Tampa Bay dropped the Rams to 0-3, he pointed to the gaudy offensive numbers that are being posted around the league.

"I told our guys, we've got to look at the positive," Haslett said. "I look at the yardage racked up in this league (Sunday), and there's 500 yards, 600, 400. Look at the good stuff: You're seventh in the league in defense. I know it's early, but you couldn't say that the last couple of years. So, build on that."

In 2001, the Rams also were seventh in total defense and wound up in the Super Bowl. After that, the defense declined steadily — 13th in 2002, 17th in '03, 19th in '04 and 30th in '05.

During that span, the team posted only one winning record.

The Rams improved to No. 23 last season. This year, only New England, Pittsburgh, Denver, Kansas City, Indianapolis and Jacksonville have been stingier in yielding yardage.

But don't be fooled: Haslett is far from satisfied. He was especially vexed that the defense crumbled when it was needed most Sunday.

After three quarters, the Rams had yielded only 173 yards and 10 points, on a field goal and a short-field touchdown set up by a long kickoff return. A 25-yard Jeff Wilkins field goal made it a one-score game, 10-3 with 11:31 remaining.

And then ... poof. Tampa Bay hustled 80 yards in just six plays, then followed with a three-play, 40-yard dash. That burst, which took a mere 6˝ minutes, ballooned the Rams' deficit to 21 points.

Tampa Bay collected 173 of its 322 total yards in the final period.

"We missed some tackles, and we didn't get aligned right one time," Haslett said. "But there's really no excuse. I would've loved to finish the game like we played the first three quarters. ... We've just got to continue to do our thing, and do it for four quarters. We can't do it for three or 3˝ quarters; we need to play the whole game."

Haslett also stressed that just because the offense is struggling, the defense isn't off the hook.

"That's part of the game; it's a team," he said. "If we have to keep a team down to three points or no points, that's something we need to do. If you want to be a dominating defense in this league ... you can't worry about the other side of the ball. You've got to take accountability for your side of the ball.

"I think we've made great improvement, but until we get that across and we do those little things, that extra quarter here and there ... those are the things that the great teams, and the great defenses, do."

RAM-BLINGS

Linebacker Chris Draft and strong safety Corey Chavous led the team with six tackles (coaches' film review). ... Rookie tackle Adam Carriker wasn't credited with a tackle. "He can play better," Haslett said. ... The Rams are minus-3 in turnovers; after three games last year, they were plus-7.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Notes: Rams' defense is No. 7 in NFL

"I told our guys, we've got to look at the positive," Haslett said. "I look at the yardage racked up in this league (Sunday), and there's 500 yards, 600, 400. Look at the good stuff: You're seventh in the league in defense. I know it's early, but you couldn't say that the last couple of years. So, build on that."
    Right on coach.

"We missed some tackles, and we didn't get aligned right one time," Haslett said. "But there's really no excuse. I would've loved to finish the game like we played the first three quarters. ... We've just got to continue to do our thing, and do it for four quarters. We can't do it for three or 3˝ quarters; we need to play the whole game."

Right on coach.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I will agree that our defense appears to have improved overall, but let's not get too excited. We played three poor-to-mediocre offensive teams. I don't have time to research the stats, but I'm pretty sure the three teams we lost to, and to which we can credit our 7th D ranking, are bottom-third in the league in offense.
    With that, I remain optimistic that we'll have a defense that is rated middle-of-the-pack by season's end. Too bad our offense has gone bye-bye.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Whatever the ranking of those teams' offenses, it's in no small part due to their games against us. I know Joey Galloway torched whomever the Bucs played the week before because he was the main reason my fantasy team lost that week. The Panthers put up over 300 yards through the air in week 2. I'll admit the ***** offense is probably one of the worst in the league, but even then we kept Gore to under 100 yards and would have kept him under 50 if not for that one screwup on 4th and 1.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I remain optimistic that we'll have a defense that is rated middle-of-the-pack by season's end
    If that's where we end up I would take it. We need a SS, next year to add some punch!

general counsel is offline Registered User

if anyone on this board was told that we would have the #7 defense in the nfl after three weeks, how many of us (me included) would have said that we would be 3-0, rather than 0-3? I would have bet that we would be ranked that high because our offense was scoring a ton of points and keeping our defense off the field and forcing the other teams to play from behind. Oh well. turnovers and red zone conversions, thats all she wrote!

ramming speed to all

general counsel

elchiludo is offline Registered User

Wow, if only we could find balance! But, i'm just stating the obvious.

btimsah Guest

Last year the Rams defense was respectable. A lot of people think it's because we allowed so much on the ground, but not really. This scheme is very pass-defense oriented. This is the same scheme, or type of scheme Marvin Lewis runs. At least I think it is. So, as long as the front 4 and the linebackers are doing their job against the run they should be able to force punts. I think they can have some success against the Cowboys in the passing defense. It's containing Romo that scares the crap out of me. lol

Cowboysfan is offline Registered User

Ok - My first post here, so don't flame me too bad. As a Cowboy fan, this game scares the heck out of me. Your team has a respectful defense and an offense that could catch fire at any time. The Cowboys D has not really looked all that good this year. I am looking at what I think could be a very close game. I don't think the betting pundits are even close on this game. I am afraid my Cowboys are way overrated right now. I predicted a 9-7 record for us and this is one of the 7 that I thought we might lose. Can you keep Romo contained? That will be the big question for your D. On offense, can they get it together and score at least 21-34 points. The way I see it that might just win it for you. I would say Good Luck , but of course I don't want to give you too much. Looking for a great game guys. Nice site by-the-way,