Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: The Rams Now Have a "Swiss Army Knife" Receiving Corps

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The Rams Now Have a "Swiss Army Knife" Receiving Corps

As I watch the Rams build their offense, I'm struck by the versatility of the receiving corps. While some players are still works in progress, we have the potential of having a group that can do it all... each piece having its own function.

Brian Quick - The Big Guy
    Quick, at 6'4, 220 lbs, is huge. If he can learn to use his size to his advantage, he might one day become a Vincent Jackson type. His Red Zone TD last year is something I want to see a lot more of next year.

Chris Givens - The Outside Speed Guy
    When Les Snead was asked in January whether the Rams were interested in Mike Wallace, he said "no, we already have that guy." He was referring to Givens, who demonstrated last year that he can get behind the defense for the big play. With more weapons around him, he should have more one-on-one opportunities in the future.

Austin Pettis - The Chain Mover
    Pettis made some progress last year, and can fill an important role. He's the kind of player who can find a small opening and then out-muscle a defender for the football. He may, in fact, have the best hands on the team.

Jared Cook - Monster in the Middle
    Cook is a mismatch guy working the middle of the field from the slot. He's bigger than most (if not all) safeties, and faster than most LBs. I'm looking forward to seeing how th Rams work him into the offense.

Tavon Austin - The Playmaker
    With all of these roles filled, the Rams can let Austin do what he does best - everything. Line him up outside on one play, in the slot the next. Then he's a flanker. Wait, now he's in the backfield. The goal is always the same... get this guy the ball in space and play "catch me if you can."

Sam Bradford must think he's dreaming... a Pro Bowl LT, the same OC two years in a row, and now this young, exciting receiving corps. Just what the doctor ordered.
    RealRam, Curly Horns, Nick and 6 others like this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: The Rams Now Have a "Swiss Army Knife" Receiving Corps

If and I know it's a big IF, Pead and Richardson can take the next step we are going to be a very dangerous offense.
    Curly Horns and ZiaRam like this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Great points. The Rams have collected a group of players that each bring something unique to the table. When mixed together, it could make for a very effective and dangerous offense.
    Curly Horns likes this.

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    As I watch the Rams build their offense, I'm struck by the versatility of the receiving corps. While some players are still works in progress, we have the potential of having a group that can do it all... each piece having its own function.

Brian Quick - The Big Guy
    Quick, at 6'4, 220 lbs, is huge. If he can learn to use his size to his advantage, he might one day become a Vincent Jackson type. His Red Zone TD last year is something I want to see a lot more of next year.

Chris Givens - The Outside Speed Guy
    When Les Snead was asked in January whether the Rams were interested in Mike Wallace, he said "no, we already have that guy." He was referring to Givens, who demonstrated last year that he can get behind the defense for the big play. With more weapons around him, he should have more one-on-one opportunities in the future.

Austin Pettis - The Chain Mover
    Pettis made some progress last year, and can fill an important role. He's the kind of player who can find a small opening and then out-muscle a defender for the football. He may, in fact, have the best hands on the team.

Jared Cook - Monster in the Middle
    Cook is a mismatch guy working the middle of the field from the slot. He's bigger than most (if not all) safeties, and faster than most LBs. I'm looking forward to seeing how th Rams work him into the offense.

Tavon Austin - The Playmaker
    With all of these roles filled, the Rams can let Austin do what he does best - everything. Line him up outside on one play, in the slot the next. Then he's a flanker. Wait, now he's in the backfield. The goal is always the same... get this guy the ball in space and play "catch me if you can."

Sam Bradford must think he's dreaming... a Pro Bowl LT, the same OC two years in a row, and now this young, exciting receiving corps. Just what the doctor ordered.
    And let's not forget what Lance Kendricks can bring to the table. He also is able to line up in multiple positions in multiple formations.

Hopefully the Rams offense is going to give the defenses a lot to think about.

Go RAMS!!
    lostsoul likes this.

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    I still feel as if Lance Kendricks is a wild card of this offense. It's not like he's a 7th year player that we know he's going to be average. Kendricks made huge strides from year 1 to year 2 as a player. I'm not saying Kendricks will be a tony Gonzalez or Antonio Gates, but he can def be utilized in multiple ways and is a hell of a blocker.

Lance Kendricks - The One Nobody Will See Coming

Torry Holt, lostsoul and ZiaRam like this.

lostsoul is offline Registered User

Kendricks also has one hell of a stiff arm.

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Now let's add Bailey to this list.

Where does he fit?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Stedman Bailey - The Technician
    Bar-bq and lostsoul like this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

lostsoul is offline Registered User

This thread is even more relevant now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Stedman Bailey - The Technician
    Perfectly said. Thanks!
    Nick likes this.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

we can score quick now and on any play. i can see teams being forced into a shoot out with us because of our weapons on the O now and that will play perfectly into the hands of our D who are built to get after the QB and force turnovers. exciting times ahead!

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I hate to be a downer, but if Quick doesn't show up this year, the rest will be moot. We need that outside threat to make everything else work.

M$Ram is offline Registered User

One point that seems overlooked with Bailey and Austin together on the same team is their chemistry and teamwork. On Austin's highlight reel, Bailey is making some sick blocks. And as rookies, having that connection will be huge to their development and team pride.

I'll sorely miss Amendola, but I don't think the script here could have been written any better. When you think about it, this group of WRs we have as a whole, have a chance to make their mark on this team, together -- they're no longer in the shadow of an offense of old with Jax, Amendola, or Gibby. It's all new. That will drive them, and form a really solid bond. This is going to be an electrifying season, no doubt about it.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by evil disco man View Post
    I hate to be a downer, but if Quick doesn't show up this year, the rest will be moot. We need that outside threat to make everything else work.
    Well Bailey and Givens will be on the outside, so... I think Bailey will get the nod over Quick anyways. But at the end of the day its not going to be like Madden "Your starter, your depth". They'll have a target each game for how many snaps they want for each guy. (We want Brian to have 35 snaps this game, and Stedman only 25). So it'll be nice to have guys rotating in and out rather frequently.

THE DREAM TEAM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast