• 1 Post By mikhal5569
  • 1 Post By C-Mob 71
  • 1 Post By Richbert88
  • 1 Post By RAMFANRAIDERHATER
  • 1 Post By RockinRam

Thread: The Rams Offense is already better then last years

Rambos is offline Registered User

The Rams Offense is already better then last years

This offense will look more like it did in Bradford's rookie year, the year he was offensive rookie of the year. The year we where one game away from the division title and a playoff berth.

Lets break it down.

We are going back to the WCO, where Bradford was a very accurate passer and got the ball out quicker in a ball controlled passing offense. Our young tackles did not fair well in the Mc Daniel system. Safford will rebound to what he looked liked in his rookie year, when the assignment was too hold the blocks as plays took a longer time to develop. The addition of a pro bowl center Wells and last years acquisition guard Harvey Dahl are major upgrades over Brown and Bell which both where underachieving free agents.

Danny Amendola, the closes thing we Ram fans have to Tebow, you either love him or under value what he brings to the table. We all know what Bradford thinks of his presents on game day. Danny Amendola was lost in game one. Steven Jackson, scored on his first touch last year then watched from the sideline for weeks and when he returned he was not 100%. I can't think of two players that Bradford would miss more if lost then Steven Jackson and or Danny Amendola both where lost in the first game.

The rookies, the rookies last year where in cram course mode due to the lock out. All three, Salas, Pettis and Kendricks had their fair share of good and bad moments, but all three shown flashes that they can contribute. With a year in the league to settle in, their play will improve. The WCO will fits what these three do best shorter possession routes and RAC.

Bradford was hit early and often in the Mc Daniel system and it was only a matter of time before two things where going to happen. One he started to hold the ball to long and take sacks, two get hurt. Once Bradford went down this offense was lacking it's three most productive players from a year ago. Bradford and Steven where never at 100% when they did return to play.

The WCO, if it's good enough for the Packers and Aaron Rogers it's good enough for the Rams and Bradford. The WCO doesn't mean we will be diking and dunking. It's a ball control offense with the big plays capabilities. Adding Wells a pro bowl center that helped Rogers make the offensive protections can only improve Bradford and our offensive line play.

The draft:

No one knows what players will be on the board when the Rams make their selections. The Rams have three picks in the top 40 players in the draft. #6 #33 and #39. I think it's fair to assume one of these three picks will be a receiver that will provide play-making ability that was not present last year. Heck there is a possibility that all three are offensive players! But the fact is we are already better then last year without the draft.
    viper and THOLTFAN81 like this.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Re: The Rams Offense is already better then last years

I don't remember hearing anything about us going back to a west coast offense

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I like the optimism. But,the truth is, if the offense is better it's simply going to be due to a better offensive line.

But, it's too early to predict how the offense is going to run with the roster less than three quarters full. There A few things that worry me. Not enough speed at wide receiver. The right tackle position, and a quality back up running back.

Everyone knows the best way to disguise a poor receiver core is to have a strong running game. With the Rams picking six, they'll likely be targeting Richardson or Blackmon (depending on who is available.)

In any case, depending on who they pick, Brian Schottenheimer needs to avoid McDaniels fatal mistake of trying to force a specif system onto the offense that they do not have the talent to execute. Don't kid yourself, the 2012 St.Louis Rams are very thin on play makers at every position on offense, just look at the depth chart and compare it to our divisonal rivals, especially san fran.

This team can still have a good year with the right coaching. I believe that Bradford is the future and that Jackson is still far from being done. The base for a good team is there, but I think were one more year away from a realistic playoff run.
    ManofGod likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    I stand correct sir! I was under the impression the Schotty had created his version a blended version Coryell and the WCO when he was with the Jets. Heavy on the Run game and short passes. And it was not until last year that he went to more of a Coryell push it down the field system. I will have to really do more research on what he plans to do here....

He spent four years in San Diego as the quarterbacks coach, working with Drew Brees and Philip Rivers. His roots are in the Air Coryell system, and he puts a high level of responsibility on his quarterbacks for making reads and changing calls at the line, something Bradford struggled with under McDaniels. Schottenheimer would be a McDaniels-lite. Hopefully, a full season to prepare and some smart moves for talent at the right places will help.
    That fact that Wells was brought in is even bigger now!

Nice correction cfh128
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-31-2012 at 03:44 PM.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    Interesting point. I searched around and couldn't find any really detailed info on Shotty's O scheme. I did find this tidbit when Rex Ryan was hired to coach the Jets:

Coaching& Philosophy Changes (2009)
    by Jason Wood

What to expect on offense: New head coach Rex Ryan is
    a defensive guy through and through, and he was impressed
    enough with incumbent OC Brian Schottenheimer to retain his
    services. Schottenheimer is a disciple of both the West Coast
    offense and the Air Coryell offense and leverages a power running
    attack to set up downfield passing.
    The biggest question
    for Schottenheimer is getting the teamís young QBs ready to
    play, as either first rounder Mark Sanchez or inexperienced
    Kellen Clemens will be under center.

Rambos brings up some good points as to where we should be improved on O:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    We are going back to the WCO, where Bradford was a very accurate passer and got the ball out quicker in a ball controlled passing offense. Our young tackles did not fair well in the Mc Daniel system. Safford will rebound to what he looked liked in his rookie year, when the assignment was too hold the blocks as plays took a longer time to develop. The addition of a pro bowl center Wells and last years acquisition guard Harvey Dahl are major upgrades over Brown and Bell which both where underachieving free agents.
    I do believe delegating line calls/blocking assignments to Scott Wells will greatly relieve pressure on Sam, thereby allowing him to better focus on his reads. The fact that Shotty is well versed in both the WCO, and Don Coryell's offense will allow him to devise schemes which will maximize the talent on our final 53 roster come September.

After the draft and FA, Brian will have an idea of the talent available on offense. If Fisher didn't believe in Brian's ability to create schemes that conceal weaknesses while playing to the strengths on our offensive roster, I'm sure Brian wouldn't be here.

I am not about make predictions as to how many games we'll win or lose, but I do feel that Sam will get better protection this year for several reasons:

1) Scott Wells should help him enormously as previously mentioned.

2) There is no way Brian will force consistent reliance on 7 step drops. I am sure Brian has already seen enough tape of Bradford in his rookie year running the WCO. Add to that, Fish's mandate that protecting Sam will be paramount this year.

3) We will get Kendricks back (which will help Steven Jackson enormously). Kendricks may not be big, but he is a very good blocker. For anyone that doubts this, just watch the 2011 Rams vs Saints game. Nevermind the fact that he'll develop into a reliable target for Sam.

4) Salas and Pettis should be able to contribute far more consistently in their 2nd year as pros. Let alone the receivers we acquire via the draft. Danny will be back as well.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

comparing to last years offense, i mean is that really a bar worth mentioning to use to measure ourselves to foster optimism?
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    comparing to last years offense, i mean is that really a bar worth mentioning to use to measure ourselves to foster optimism?
    Good question?

My point is we where one game out of first place and a playoff berth in Bradford rookie year... I'm not saying we will be just slightly better then last year so lets celebrate but closer to a team that will compete for the West.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Let's not forget late in the year we were down to playing backups at both offensive tackle positions. Health alone will improve our offense, not to mention having a center that plays with passion and pride, and whoever we draft in the first two rounds. Will we be the best offense in the nfl? Probably not, but I guarantee we won't be the worst once again.
    39WillRunYaOva likes this.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I think if the offense is better, it may be because it just couldn't get any worse.

A fresh start and attitude certainly won't hurt either.

Then all the points listed in the OP.
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER likes this.
    Semper Fi!

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

I think all of this is a given. Salas, Pettis, and Kendricks are going to be much farther along with an actual off season and a year under their belt. Add the fact Alexander and Gibson are very young as well and still are very likely to improve.If we add Blackmon and a solid young rb in the draft and we should be much better off.

Really things couldn't get much worse than last year. It's not often you lose your leading receiver, your star running back, both tackles, your most dangerous receiver(Alexander), your best rookie(Salas) and your star QB for extended stretches. The amount of injuries we had last year was insane.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Agree with Richbert, when the bar is basically sitting on the ground, it isn't hard to get better.

But just getting the guys together for a full camp, and staying healthy will make for a big improvement. I'm not one that thinks that a barnburner at WR is the only thing that will make the Rams offense respectable. They just need to execute better. In the GSOT days, neither Holt nor Bruce were considered "barn burners". But both could expose a defense and ran exceptionally good routes, They could set up a defender and find the weak spots in a defense, AND they knew how to get seperation. I believe the Rams can become productive even if they make no additions to the WR position this year. Getting a Blackmon or other top draft pick will only help. Don't get me wrong.

But I've said it a million times, winning football teams start at the LOS. The Rams absolutely MUST improve at the line. They're blitz p/u must improve. Jackson, as great a runner that he is, is a lousy blocker. He must improve with that. For such a big, strong guy, he gets run over and around way too easily. Our new center will help with reading pre-snap blocking assignments, but the line must pass-block better. Sam was overwhelmed at times reading and anticipating blitzes, and took a beating. A second or two of better protection will make a world of difference, especially if the receivers learn to find the seams. ...and I think they can.

I know that all this isn't news to anyone, but it is what it is. The Rams need to improve on the line FIRST. So, having said that, getting another big body in the draft would thrill me every bit as much as a Blackmon.
    Rammed likes this.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I was expecting an April's Fools after I read the title.
    mh-i likes this.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

I'm going to hold my thought till I see who we have , I do agree with a lot of whats been said here , I feel we will be better , Their is no were else to go but up lol . Looking back last year and going thru it was very had for all of us here , But I agree that Sam was completely overwhelmed to a point I thought he was done , close to what happened to mark . I'm hopping for a strong O line and solid D , But we shall see who is still here and where their placed . Really looking forward to the new beginning with a coach that is a Vet HC thats going to be a big difference right off the start