RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Rams' offense continues to have all kinds of issues

Rams' offense continues to have all kinds of issues
    They've managed just 1 touchdown
    BY NORM SANDERS
    News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS --Their quarterback is under siege, their receivers are rarely open and their offensive line continues to offer direct routes for sack-hungry defensive linemen.

Welcome to the 2008 St. Louis Rams offense, which is rapidly becoming extinct.

The only touchdown through two weeks took a highlight-reel catch Sunday by Torry Holt that included a tipped ball the veteran recevier had to wrestle away from Giants defender Kenny Phillips.

"Unbelievable catch," said Rams running back Steve Jackson. "Probably the most amazing catch I've seen or witnessed in person. I really thought that was going to be the play that turned things around for us."

For a brief instant, it seemed possible. The Rams were trailing 20-13 with 10:46 remaining and then got a huge hit from Chris Draft on the ensuing kickoff.

But instead of building on the momentum, the Rams watched it wash away in a flood of Giants' effectiveness. Ahmad Bradshaw's 18-yard touchdown reception capped a six-play, 82-yard drive that signaled the beginning of the end.

Throw in a 41-yard interception return for a touchdown by defensive end Justin Tuck and the Rams were quickly out of contention.

Through two weeks, the Rams' entire offensive output consists of Holt's improbable TD catch and three Josh Brown field goals.

Two of those were launched from 54 yards out Sunday in a 41-13 loss to the New York Giants.

"All 11 men in that huddle, we really felt like we could move the ball," Jackson said. "But for whatever reason, we just keep shooting ourselves in the foot."

The Rams have been outgained 963-367 in total yards and outscored 79-16. The revamped offense installed by offensive coordinator Al Saunders has yet to reach the opponents' 20-yard line and has a third-down conversion rate of 3-for-24 (12.5 percent).

The Rams are 5-16 in their last 21 games in the once-friendly Edward Jones Dome. They have followed up a 3-13 season with an 0-2 start to 2008.

"It's very surprising that we haven't been in the red zone this season," said Jackson, who has 93 yards on 27 carries in two games. "I don't know what the defense is seeing on film, what they feel they could take away from us.

"I know the guys, the caliber of what we have. And it's just very shocking and disappointing that we're playing like this."

Rams quarterback Marc Bulger was 20-for-32 for 177 yards against the Giants, 45 of which came on one pass.

Bulger was sacked six times, twice by Tuck.

Tuck was almost like another member of the Rams' backfield with two sacks and the interception return for a TD. He was in Bulger's face throughout the game.

"Our quarterback can't be a piŅata," Rams tight end Randy McMichael said. "We've got to give him time."

Bulger can be blamed for some of the woes, but don't forget the offensive linemen giving him little time to throw.

"It's a fine line if you hold the ball and wait for your guys to get open, but you don't know if the protection is going to hold," Bulger said. "Sometimes you throw quicker than you want, but you'll go back on film, and see that you would have been sacked. It's a guessing game -- and that's not a good thing."

Looking for positives, the Rams can point to the Giants.

The Giants rebounded from an 0-2 start last season to win the Super Bowl, not that anyone wearing blue and gold should have a legitimate reason to even believe this team has a shot at the playoffs.

Not until these constant offensive issues are cleared up.

"It's a mindset," Jackson said. "At this point, it's just strictly a mindset because I think everyone agrees -- and I think the New York Giants agree -- that they were in a fight for three quarters."

Jackson believes the Rams have to get past the mental roadblock of being able to finish off a victory.

"I think in the back of our minds, somewhere in the subconscious, we just feel like we can't pull it off," he said. "That's not how it was and that's not how it needs to be. We have to have that confidence that we can fight and play with anybody."

Asked if something positive could be taken from the loss, McMichael wasn't biting.

"What's positive about losing? Nothing at all -- and the way we lost is kind of embarrassing, really."

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams' offense continues to have all kinds of issues

"It's a fine line if you hold the ball and wait for your guys to get open, but you don't know if the protection is going to hold," Bulger said. "Sometimes you throw quicker than you want, but you'll go back on film, and see that you would have been sacked. It's a guessing game -- and that's not a good thing."

Translation- I have lost all confidence in my offensive line and thats why I am throwing bad passes all game long