sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Rams offense ready to compete with the best in the league?

We all know about our newly acquired offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. He has operated some of the best offenses in the NFL. Many fans complained about our vanilla offense last year because of Pat Shurmur's extremely conservative play calling. Other than Randy Moss, McDaniels has never had a top flight wide receiver and still manages to make his offense one of the best. Here are some of the numbers that his wide receivers produced.

Eddie Royal : 59 receptions, 627 yards, 10.6 average, 3 touchdowns.
    Brandon Lloyd: 77 receptions, 1,448 yards, 18.8 average, 11 touchdowns.
    Demaryius Thomas: 22 receptions, 283 yards, 12.9 average, 2 touchdowns.
    Jabar Gaffney : 65 receptions, 875 yards, 13.5 average, 2 touchdowns.

Thomas was injured 90% of the season causing his numbers to be really low. Below are the numbers to Brandon Lloyds career which was 7 years EXCLUDING this past season (2010-2011).

Brandon Lloyd : 124 receptions, 2,370 yards, 13.6 average, 15 touchdowns.

As you can see, he hadn't done nothing in the NFL up until last year when McDaniel's made things happen. This is proof that McDaniel's can work with little and make it look like all pro talent. This is why I believe McDaniel's will do wonders with our rotation of wide receivers.

Danny Amendola : 85 receptions, 689 yards, 8.1 average, 3 touchdowns.
    Brandon Gibson : 53 receptions, 620 yards, 11.7 average, 2 touchdowns.
    Danario Alexander : 20 receptions, 306 yards, 15.3 average, 1 touchdown.
    Mark Clayton : 23 receptions, 306 yards, 13.3 average, 2 touchdowns.

Dont forget, Clayton got a season ending injury in week 6 and Danario Alexander also had a injury riddled season not playing much. I feel like Alexander could be something special in this offense, just like Randy Moss the year he caught 23 touchdowns. Mark Clayton makes an excellent possession receiver. He did terrific last season up until his injury. Danny Amendola also reminds me a lot of Wes Welker. Even when he got double teamed last season, he found a way to get open especially on 3rd down.

We just drafted two more wide receiver weapons this past draft, Austin Pettis and Greg Salas. Pettis is a possession receiver whos got terrific hands. If he perfects his route running, he will be a force to be reckoned with. Salas can share time with Amendola in the slot. He just like Pettis has terrific hands and I think will be a steal.

Last year the Patriots had a change in their offensive scheme. They used a lot of double tight end sets with Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez. Both were rookies and both did a great job.

Rob Gronkowski : 42 receptions, 546 yards, 13.0 average, 10 touchdowns.
    Aaron Hernandez : 45 receptions, 563 yards, 12.5 average, 6 touchdowns.

I think we are headed towards this approach. We drafted Lance Kendricks who is a hybrid tight end. He is sure handed, a good route runner, good blocker and an all around great player. Teaming Kendricks up with Hoomanwanui who showed great promise, would be freightning to opponents. Hoomanawanui had bad luck injuring both of his ankles last season. When he played you could see an immediate impact. Here are Hoomanawanui's numbers.

Michael Hoomanawanui : 13 receptions, 146 yards, 11.2 average, 3 touchdowns.

In conclusion, I believe we will take a two tight end offense approach mixed in with a little bit of his previous 18-0 Patriot offense. McDaniel's will find a way to create mismatches. I think we will have much better success running the ball because I believe we will be able to stretch the field much better causing defenses to drop back. He will utilize Steven Jackson to his full potential. He will have a huge impact.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Re: Rams offense ready to compete with the best in the league?

Sounds good to me. Where do I sign up ?!

However,I think you may be pushing McD's sow's ear to silk purse mystique a little far. The Pats were a good offense before him & Royal was also pretty good.I'm optimistic about the impact McD will have on the growing core of young talent on The Rams offense, but I still think McD had a more proven vet group in both places to start with.

Not sayin' The Rams probably won't be able to compete on any given Sunday; I think they are already there but to do it consistently with so much youth AND a new system AND the lockout may take a while even with the most capable and creative OC.

ram1906 is offline Registered User

One major problem......Our Best player is Steven Jackson and no RB under McD has had any game changing impact.....Hopefully McD is able to adjust his game plans to fully utilize the Rams best off asset...SJ

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ram1906 View Post
    One major problem......Our Best player is Steven Jackson and no RB under McD has had any game changing impact.....Hopefully McD is able to adjust his game plans to fully utilize the Rams best off asset...SJ
    I don't think McD ever had a comparable player to SJ. Corey Dillon certainly wasn't an SJ even though he was effective.
    Semper Fi!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I would agree that McDaniels appears to have the knack of getting a lot out of the talent available to him as an OC. But for me, therein lies the question: have we really upgraded our talent on offense that much other than the acquisition of Sam Bradford? On paper, there appears to be promise, but I'm not getting all warm and fuzzy yet. I do believe we will address the backup running back position (finally) in FA given the new four year guideline which will come into play when the new CBA is ratified by both parties. There will be enough money to address at least two if not three positions. The Rams braintrust may not wish to spend lavishly on a Reggie Bush or Darren Sproles, but I believe we'll get someone this year - probably a change of pace guy with good hands. There should be a fair amount of choices.

If McDaniels is to make a splash, he'll have to spread the ball around in ways we have not been able to do since the "greatest show on turf." This will require that Kendricks, Pettis, and Salas will need to hang on to the ball when it comes their way. If we are not plagued by drops again this year (particularly in key 3rd down positions), we may gel into the type of offense that will keep opposing DCs up a little later at night.

When it comes to stretching the field, Alexander and Avery are our only two real speedsters, unfortunately both have significant injury concerns. Clayton has some speed too, but he also is coming off a major injury. If either Avery or Alexander can stay healthy enough to play in 16 games this year, then we will be able to scare defenses a bit. However, if both of those guys can't stay on the field consistently we will have troubles along the lines of last year. Should be fun watching though ..