MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Rams offense is settling in, Bradford says ..

BY JIM THOMAS August 29, 2011 12:20 am

Although far from a finished product, the St. Louis offense is getting there four weeks into training camp and the preseason, quarterback Sam Bradford feels.

"I think everyone looked and felt more comfortable out there this week than they had in the past two weeks, including myself," Bradford said after Friday's 14-10 victory over Kansas City. "I just felt much better with our operation. I felt we were quicker in and out of the huddle. I felt like our communication was better at the line of scrimmage. I just felt like everything (Friday) was almost normal in the sense that everyone's kinda starting to jell."

Strange as it may sound, the Rams used almost a smash-mouth approach against the Chiefs, emphasizing the run and the play-action pass when the starters were in the game.

"Up front, I thought our offensive line did a great job," Bradford said. "We wore 'em out. We ran the football. I think that first drive we ran it all but about two plays. Anytime you see that from your guys up front it's awesome. ... We didn't really do anything that elaborate or that exciting, but we did our jobs and we were fortunate enough to put points on the board the first two drives."

Or as running back Steven Jackson put it, "We put a lot on the big boys up front, and they answered to the challenge."

Jackson on 3-0

As Jackson sees it, the Rams' 3-0 start to the preseason is secondary to what's going on from play to play on the field.

"I actually look more to the quality of football, regardless of if we win or lose," Jackson said. "I think we're playing some good quality football. And hopefully, this momentum that we're building, the confidence that we're building, carries over to when it counts."

three roster cuts

The Rams began the process of getting down to Tuesday's roster limit of 80 players by releasing tight end Schuylar Oordt and wide receivers Jared Jenkins and Joe West. Oordt, from Northern Iowa, and Jenkins, from Wisconsin-Stevens Point, joined the team as rookie free agents. Even with the moves, the Rams still have 10 wide receivers and six tight ends on their roster.

West was on the Rams' practice squad the final two games of the 2010 season. With one catch for 11 yards, West was the only one of the three released players with a reception this preseason. The Rams still have six cuts to make by Tuesday to reach 80.

Stewart's start

Starting at safety instead of Craig Dahl against Kansas City, second-year man Darian Stewart had four tackles, according to press box stats.

"There were a couple mistakes in there, but I think every time he makes one, it's one less I think we're hopefully going to get down the road," coach Steve Spagnuolo said. "I thought him and Quintin (Mikell) worked well together. There was one communication problem that I remember vividly, but I think they'll get that ironed out."

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Re: Rams offense is settling in, Bradford says ..

Hoping we play solid, fundamentally sound, possession football this year. Like Atlanta played up the gut football last season would be nice.
    Kiss my ass, football gods

letsgoramz is offline Registered User

I am confident in our offense this year , I was never a fan of the conservative offensive schemes we have had previously after the the martz era, josh mcdaniels is an OC that attacks the defense and he is also very creative with his plays and play calling.
    Torry Holt Dont play that

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    Hoping we play solid, fundamentally sound, possession football this year. Like Atlanta played up the gut football last season would be nice.
    I'm with ya. Be nice to get 5 yards a play w/ SJ and set up that NASTY play action with one of Sammy B's perfect fakes. I love it.
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.