Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam
  • 8 Post By general counsel

Thread: Rams offensive line 2014?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Rams offensive line 2014?

In year three of the Rams rebuild are we really going to be starting over with the offensive line?

So many Rams fans want to cut ties with Wells and Dahl. Then there are those that want Rodger Saffold back but don't think that will happen. That leaves Shelley Smith and Chris Williams both have played LG and both are free agents. That leaves Long and Bardsdale at tackles. Barnes at center and the rest are unproven.

There are a lot of questions going forward with this group. Draft Mathews OK I can see that. But what about the two guards and the center? What about the depth? What about the chemistry and the experience?

This is really unsettling to me.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rams offensive line 2014?

Right now, there are a lot of question marks.

LT is set - Jake Long will be back and will be the starter. Beyond that, no position is a certainty.

Here's a scenario that I like:

Rams draft an OT in Round 1 (Jake Matthews or Taylor Lewan) to be the starter at RT.
    Rodger Saffold re-signs and accepts the move to OG.
    Joe Barksdale re-signs and moves inside to OG.
    Barrett Jones wins the C job.

That would give us a starting O line of:

LT Long
    LG Saffold
    C Jones
    RG Barksdale
    RT Matthews/Lewan

Mikey is online now Registered User

What about how completely horrible the interior of the line looked? They got flat out dominated by an average Cardinals defensive line. If we're going to be paying Dahl and Wells the money they're due we should be getting production. The chemistry argument is hard to push forward also when you look at fishers plan last week. He was completely rotating the OLine from series to series. He doesn't believe in the chemistry of keeping an OLine out there for a whole game at all.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Right now, there are a lot of question marks.

LT is set - Jake Long will be back and will be the starter. Beyond that, no position is a certainty.

Here's a scenario that I like:

Rams draft an OT in Round 1 (Jake Matthews or Taylor Lewan) to be the starter at RT.
    Rodger Saffold re-signs and accepts the move to OG.
    Joe Barksdale re-signs and moves inside to OG.
    Barrett Jones wins the C job.

That would give us a starting O line of:

LT Long
    LG Saffold
    C Jones
    RG Barksdale
    RT Matthews/Lewan
    OK this looks good but Saffold is a huge IF, he resigns and can he really stay healthy? I don't see much depth if any behind these guys. Again year three and we would have an unproven center and a tackle in Barksdale that I have yet to see him take a snap at guard. Our D line is set for the most part and here we are still scrambling on the O line. Not to mention we are a young team and with Wells and Dahl removed we just got younger. I really think at least one Wells or Dahl has to return. Along with Smith or Shelly hopefully Smith returns. If this is the draft we spent three picks to load up on O linemen at least they can wait a year before they have to all play or beat out the best we already have, leaving us with some depth on the bench. It's going to be interesting for sure. Could you see us moving back and getting Matthews and Lewan in round one and playing one at guard?

Mikey I disagree with your assessment of the Cards front four they are a dominate group. Take a look at Fisher presser yesterday. They have a good D and the front four are stout. As far as chemistry goes it's important IMO. He was completely rotating the OLine from series to series. I don't think this happens on the O line, you maybe are thinking of the front four on the D line. The Rams have rotated Smith and Shelly at times in the past.
    Last edited by Rambos; -12-10-2013 at 12:15 PM.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Could you see us moving back and getting Matthews and Lewan in round one and playing one at guard?
    No. If we were to take two OL in the first round, I'd go with an OT and either David Yankey or Cyril Richardson.
    ManofGod likes this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

How in the world can anyone refer to the Cardinals as having an average defensive line? We are among the NFL leaders in running the ball. The cardinals have a top ranked defense, and that is with Washington having missed the first four games. We have had big problems running vs sf and arizona, as has just about every other team in the league when those teams are at full strength. If you want to say that we couldnt run vs arizona, so be it, but give the cardinals credit. They are not 8-5 in the toughest division in football for nothing.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Rambos, live4ramin, laram0 and 5 others like this.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Yep, I think what a lot of people do is say our o line sucks or the defensive line sucks. Well, maybe just maybe it was because their defense was good and their o line was good? All about gameplans which I'm sure they wanted to stop the run and wanted to stop the Rams defensive line. Even the best defensive and o line will get man handled.

Give credit where credit is due.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

The scenario that AV suggests has 2 OT's moving to OG, that's risky and may not even be workable. We tend to move O-Linemen around like they are interchangeable pieces. Even the move from left side to right side has difficulty to some because the other hand is planted. I do agree we need to try to resign Saffold but I further think we may need to keep Wells around until we're certain at the center spot with Jones or even Barnes. Dahl is likely a salary cap casualty, like Mikell this year.

As for the draft, I know I'm going to get push back here, but Barksdale is doing good at RT, why upset that applecart even though Mathews would probably be an upgrade. I'm sensing we'll need to find a more mauling type O-Lineman in the draft to benefit the run game. Mathews is a pass protector, not a mauler. I don't know whether Lewan is a mauler or a pure pass protector, but his draft stock has dropped this year, so he may be there when our own pick comes up (10-15). We need to try to resign Saffold then fix the other guard spot IMHO.

Go Rams!

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    The scenario that AV suggests has 2 OT's moving to OG, that's risky and may not even be workable. We tend to move O-Linemen around like they are interchangeable pieces. Even the move from left side to right side has difficulty to some because the other hand is planted. I do agree we need to try to resign Saffold but I further think we may need to keep Wells around until we're certain at the center spot with Jones or even Barnes. Dahl is likely a salary cap casualty, like Mikell this year.

As for the draft, I know I'm going to get push back here, but Barksdale is doing good at RT, why upset that applecart even though Mathews would probably be an upgrade. I'm sensing we'll need to find a more mauling type O-Lineman in the draft to benefit the run game. Mathews is a pass protector, not a mauler. I don't know whether Lewan is a mauler or a pure pass protector, but his draft stock has dropped this year, so he may be there when our own pick comes up (10-15). We need to try to resign Saffold then fix the other guard spot IMHO.

Go Rams!
    I think that's where Jake is at his best from what i have read on him.

Run Blocking
    +This is where Matthews shines the most, he’s a dominant run blocker who is able to move any defender almost at will
    +He has a lot of natural explosion into contact, he does a great job maintaining his technique and leverage throughout the block
    +Uses his strength to stand defenders up like they are blocking sleds and move them out of the way
    +His footwork allows him to always stay balanced and in control even with his aggressive style of blocking
    +When he’s run blocking he’s looking to deliver the blow, has that mentality you love where he wants to drive his defender down into the dirt
    +Has some finesse to his game as well, he understands that on certain calls he needs to only chip and get to the next level and does so rather effortlessly
    +Uses his lower body so well to drive defenders out of the way
    -Can get beat to a spot on the 2nd level by quicker DB’s and LB’s
    If teammate Luke Joeckel is the best left tackle in college football, Matthews may just be the country's elite collegiate strong-side tackle. While he does not possess Joeckel's light feet, Matthews is the stronger and more physical run blocker of the two and is perfectly suited to remain at this position whenever he should elect to make himself eligible to the NFL.
    In much this same way, Matthews is a terrific run blocker. Though athletic enough to surprise defenders with an occasional chop block or slipping out to the second level to nail a linebacker, he's at his best simply driving defensive ends off the ball and creating lanes for A&M's running backs to slice through.
    Given his bloodlines he would be hard to pass up.
    Last edited by Rambos; -12-10-2013 at 04:18 PM.