Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams offensive line serves and protects in exhibition win

Rams offensive line serves and protects in exhibition win
    By Bill Coats
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    Saturday, Aug. 28 2004

Group recovers against Washington after a difficult outing Monday in loss at
    Kansas City.

If the Rams' Scott Tercero never reads or hears the term "patchwork offensive
    line" again, he'll be a happy man.

"I don't think they should use that," said Tercero, who has been playing right
    tackle with the first unit. "Everyone's tired of hearing 'patchwork offensive
    line.' Yeah, we have a couple of young guys playing, but with time, experience
    comes. And I think we're doing really well."

It was hard to argue with Tercero after the Rams' 28-3 preseason victory over
    the Washington Redskins on Friday night at Edward Jones Dome. The Rams'
    offense, which totaled only 584 yards and mustered just 17 points in the first
    two exhibition games combined, broke out for 435 yards against the 'Skins.

Perhaps as significant, the line kept quarterbacks Marc Bulger, Chris Chandler
    and Jeff Smoker out of harm's way, for the most part. The Redskins recorded one
    sack just four days after the Kansas City Chiefs dropped Rams QBs four times.

"If you look across the board, there's nothing to be embarrassed about; those
    (offensive linemen) are a good group," Bulger said. "I don't know of any group
    that can just come together in a week and play great, especially against the
    package of blitzes that Kansas City had. They've had a little more time
    together, and they're going to be fine."

With first-team tackles Orlando Pace (contract dispute) and Kyle Turley (back
    injury) out and incumbent center Dave Wohlabaugh (hip injury) released, the
    only remaining starters on the line are guard Adam Timmerman and center Andy
    McCollum, who played left guard last season.

Plugging the holes have been Tercero, tackles Grant Williams and Greg Randall,
    and guards Chris Dishman and Andy King. Randall and Dishman were signed as free
    agents after training camp began, and guard Tom Nutten, a Rams starter for four
    years, was summoned out of a one-year retirement a week ago.

Dishman, an eight-year veteran who has been starting at left guard, carried a
    heavy load Friday because Nutten suffered a toe injury in the first half.
    Dishman, who has shed 20 pounds but still weighs 354, said the extra work was
    beneficial.

"It was good to see where I was at to (prepare to) play a full game; I felt
    pretty good," said Dishman, who also had retired before the Rams called. "There
    were a couple of long drives and my conditioning was better than what I thought
    it would be. Not as good as I'd like it to be, but it'll get there."

So will the line as a whole, Tercero emphasized. "I think we played really
    well" vs. the 'Skins, he said. "We put up a lot of numbers in the first half
    with the first line. We had good pass protection for the most part, and we ran
    the ball pretty decently. It was a game that we really needed."

Now they need No. 76 to walk through the doors at Rams Park: The arrival of
    Pace, a perennial Pro Bowler, is expected soon. "He's a great player, and he'll
    only boost the performance of our offensive line," Tercero said. "Whenever he
    comes back, that's obviously going to be a bonus for us."

With a laugh, Bulger said, "We won't mind that." Then he added, "But in the
    long run, getting all these guys some experience, it's going to pay dividends
    in the future."

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

maineram is offline Registered User

Re: Rams offensive line serves and protects in exhibition win

They did play well, but the skins played like we played against KC. No sense of urgency, going through the motions, looking to get out of there with no injuries.

Maineram :ramlogo:
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

Agreed. The Rams line played better, but the Redskins didn't play anywhere near the level we saw against KC.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

coy bacon is offline Registered User

I was encouraged to see the OL. They did look good. Perhaps it was against a weak line, but most everyone thought that our OL was very very weak. Given our rating of their potential, I thought they looked great, especially on pass protection. Run blocking looked weak.

I agree that it is still preseason and that it is too early to judge Jackson a stud, but, he did look good and he did move the pile in the right direction, and he looked good catching the pass. I have some hope and expectations for him.