• 2 Post By TorontoRam
  • 3 Post By jmk321
  • 4 Post By RAMFANRAIDERHATER
  • 1 Post By laram0

Thread: The RAMS officially won 27-24

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

The RAMS officially won 27-24

I don't know if the league will admit it, or how long it will take, but the RAMS won on the OT FG. It was not a delay of game. Since it is sudden death OT, the game is over without the invalid penalty being called.

This is a video of the replay. I also have a video of it live, but it doesn't have as much detail. Listen to the description of the ruling for a snap that happens as the clock hits 00. Also notice the position of the officials left hand.

http://iamgap.com/vids/gamewinningFG.wmv

You will see that the ball is snapped just as the play clock hits 00. It is a bit hard to tell on the live shot, but the snapper moves the ball forward before pulling it back. Any movement of the ball is either the start of the play, or a false start if it was a simulation of a snap to get the defense to jump off sides. Also, as noted above, the official has moved his left hand to his mouth, to blow the whistle at 00, whether the ball is snapped or not, which is what he did.

Here it is in slomo so that you can see the snapper move the ball forward just as the clock hits 00.

http://iamgap.com/vids/gamewinningFGslomo.wmv

This is clearly not a delay of game, the officials predetermined that they were going to call it if the RAMS gave them an opportunity, and the FG is good. A good FG ends the game, so the RAMS won 27-24.

gap

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: The RAMS officially won 27-24

Sometimes I feel like the officials just don't like the Rams...I know intellectually that's probably not true, but I've seen plays go 2-3 seconds past the 00 and no one blows the whistle. With that said, there's no reason for it ever to have come down to milliseconds on the play clock. Snap the ball or call a timeout.
    lostsoul and sosa39rams like this.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Or just snap the ball before the play clock gets close to zero, to avoid this mess

RockinRam is offline Registered User

From what I can see, the ball does not move in the snapper's hands until after the playclock has struck 0. It's down to the wire that's for sure. It's real close.

I just don't understand why we couldn't have just snapped it sooner...

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    I don't know if the league will admit it, or how long it will take, but the RAMS won on the OT FG. It was not a delay of game. Since it is sudden death OT, the game is over without the invalid penalty being called.

This is a video of the replay. I also have a video of it live, but it doesn't have as much detail. Listen to the description of the ruling for a snap that happens as the clock hits 00. Also notice the position of the officials left hand.

http://iamgap.com/vids/gamewinningFG.wmv

You will see that the ball is snapped just as the play clock hits 00. It is a bit hard to tell on the live shot, but the snapper moves the ball forward before pulling it back. Any movement of the ball is either the start of the play, or a false start if it was a simulation of a snap to get the defense to jump off sides. Also, as noted above, the official has moved his left hand to his mouth, to blow the whistle at 00, whether the ball is snapped or not, which is what he did.

Here it is in slomo so that you can see the snapper move the ball forward just as the clock hits 00.

http://iamgap.com/vids/gamewinningFGslomo.wmv

This is clearly not a delay of game, the officials predetermined that they were going to call it if the RAMS gave them an opportunity, and the FG is good. A good FG ends the game, so the RAMS won 27-24.

gap
    I realize that we're all a bit stressed out after a very trying weekend, especially for Rams fans. But, IMHO, your contention ranks right up there with the Lyndon Johnson put out a hit on John Kennedy theories. First of all, referees are paid to make judgment calls and as I recall the Rams had a time-out available, so call it. Unless I misunderstood the play about which you were speaking happened when we could have called time out, and if they didn't have a time out, there's no excuse for letting the clock get that far down, especially since no one was trying to ice the kicker. Perhaps we should all get over it and move on. We have a game to play this Sunday against a desperate team and we're liable to see Timmy T. at QB, and we didn't do too well against a less talented backup who can run.
    Truth and bradwill like this.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

I've never seen a delay of game penalty called with anticipation like that before. They obviously should've gotten the snap off earlier but a call like that for delay of game is unprecedented.
    RealRam, thermobee and sosa39rams like this.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Watched it live, watched it in slomo, and I say it was delay of game.

...which is absolutely stupid. How in the name of all that is holy can you NOT get that snap off in time? Blame the holder AND Fisher for that.
    thoey, Truth, UK Ramfan 83 and 1 others like this.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

macrammer is offline Registered User

I have seen many games whereby the sidleine will call a TO when it is obvious the players are not going to and the delaypenalty is inevitable without the intervention from sideline.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    I have seen many games whereby the sidleine will call a TO when it is obvious the players are not going to and the delaypenalty is inevitable without the intervention from sideline.
    Exactly...I hate to admit it but this one is on Fisher.
    Truth likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Yes, we COULD have, SHOULD have snapped the ball O N E second sooner: FG good, we win!

And yet, that play clock certainly seems to have been on 00:01 when the ball was put into motion, i.e., still having whatever amount of tenths of a second left, alive. Maybe ONE tenth but still alive!

Rams FG is good! Indeed, we win 27-24. Thanks Gap.

citr92 is offline Registered User

it's always bugged me how people count the clock HITTING zero as just zero, when really it should his 0.99

so actually, 0 is another second, cause your stopwatch doesn't just start at 1, it has to start, just going by hundreths here, at .01....so there, it was technically not zero yet still

although they should've gotten it off at least a second earlier if not more