Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Rams overpowered by Whiners in 23-13 Loss; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

general counsel is offline Registered User

Rams overpowered by Whiners in 23-13 Loss; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

The young Rams were overpowered and defeated by a better team on the road today in a 23-13 loss. To win this game with a backup qb, the Rams were going to have to take advantage of every opportunity, play a really clean game, and make plays. Unfortunately, they did not do so and lacked the firepower to stay in the game into the fourth quarter. The Rams fought hard and did some good things today, but this was the kind of game where you could really see the difference between Clemens and Sammy, along with the obvious shortcomings in the Rams receiving corp.

The Good

The run defense was solid. We allowed 83 yards on 30 carries for an average of 2.8, holding Gore to 15-42. The whiners longest run was 10 yards and our tackling was solid at the point of attack, something we have struggled with for years against the whiners (and against almost everyone else for that matter).

Brockers is really showing the pro-bowl potential. Seven tackles and two sacks. He was outstanding today.

The offensive line played pretty well, as did Stacy. Zac had 19-72 against a very tough defense to run on, especially when you can't get the ball down the field without key drops or missed throws. Clemens was sacked three times and was pressured a bit, but i thought the line game him plenty of time to throw many, many times and he was unable to connect, either through bad throws or terrible drops. We ran as a team26-114 for an average of 4.4 (a couple of nice runs for benny). Not our best effort for sure, and we did allow three sacks, but it was not reasonable to expect us to pound the ball all day against the whiners defense. We ran it enough to keep them honest, but you have to make plays down the field and we didnt do it. I want to call out Saffold who played very well after Jake Long got hit in the head and left the game. I also really continue to like Barksdale.

We had four first half sacks (brockers twice, hayes and langford), but nothing in the second half. Kapernick is slippery and tough to bring down.

Janoris made two or three really nice pass breakups. He battled again like crazy all day. Tough job, playing stud receivers one on one every week.

Tree was excellent yet again, causing a fumble to keep us in the game and making 10 tackles (Laurinaitis had 9 tackles).

Hecker punted very well (48.8 average) and apparantly leads the nfl in net punting.
    Ray, Ray had a partially blocked punt at the end
    Nice garbage time TD to quick on the fade, that is obviously the play we were hoping to run successfully at the end of the seattle game. Quick also had a nice 29 yard catch on the last drive.

I continue to like what i see in Bailey. Three catches, sure hands. He had one called back for offensive interference, but i would like to see him play more.

Nice end around to austin, who also had a nice first down catch, but was held in check today.

Excellent red zone defense, keeping us in the game until late in the 3rd or early in the fourth quarter.

The Bad

Too many drops and too many stupid penalties against a playoff quality opponent on the road. 11 penalties fro 105 yards, 6 of which led to first downs, five of which happened in the first quarter alone (four for first downs). Some of the calls were suspect, but a number of the holdings on third down were critical early in the game.

The drops are really bad, especially for Cook (key drop on 3rd and 5 early) and Givens (see ugly below for givens generally).

Too many misses for clemens, who sure wasnt helped by the drops (cook, givens, etc), but did the majority of his damage in garbage time. He wound up 19-37-218-1-1 for a 67.2 rating, but about 100 yards or more was after the game was decided. In the fourth quarter at one point, he had 68 yards passing. Some on the receivers, some on him. He wasnt terrible, and its pretty rough to call him "bad" but its probably more accurate to say that he showed his limitations today. Without a terrific running game, he looked very modest and once we got behind in the fourth quarter, its really hard for him to pull us out of it. The interception was not a great throw, but austin probably could have had it and not deflected it into the air. Again, a number of the drops were balls that could and should have been caught, but they were rarely throws that were on target. This game might have been different for clemens and the rams without the huge screwup by givens on the 3rd and 1 drop of the long pass. His deep ball that was dropped by Eric Reid saved him another INT.

Not a great game for Quinn. He wasnt really "bad" with three tackles and a tackle for loss, but he had no sacks and maybe one hit and when Joe Staley left the game in the first quarter for good you would have thought he would have done better against Boone. Our second half pass rush was not very good at all.

Ray Ray failed to fall on the fumbled punt despite being the first man to the ball in the second quarter. That was a big play in the game.

The defense could not get off the field on third down. Too many third and long conversions and that really really hurt us.

Boldin is one of the all time Ram killers (9-98). Vernon Davis is heading onto that list, although you have to give TJ McDonald (who had a couple of nice tackles and a pass breakup) credit for trying to get Davis out of the game with one of the best gonad grabbing tackles in recent Rams history. McDonald not only latched onto that nut sack, but he appeared to attempt to twist those gonads right out of the sack as Davis was going down. Unfortunately, Davis was back in the game within a play or two.

Ugly

I have to really let loose here on Givens. I think he is the single most disappointing player on the roster. He has regressed materially from last year. It is no longer a matter of not improving, he is clearly getting worse. He dropped two more balls today, including an absolutely ugly attempt at catching a long pass on 3rd and 1 that should have been a game changing td. He mistimed his leap (again) and i dont think he needed to leap at all to catch that ball. My dad taught me that when it hits you in the hands you have to catch it and Givens is not doing that. He seems to lack awareness of where he is on the field and it seems to get worse every week. He had a couple of catches in garbage time, but with the game on the line he is hurting the team. Not sure if Bailey should get more reps in his place, i know that he lacks givens' speed, but he can at least catch the ball when it hits him in the hands.

The fake punt was ugly, not in the decision to try it, but in the execution. That play was open for bailey to run for a first down, but someone missed a block, and that was a game changing play.

Ugly throw by Austin on the attempted pass. He had the guy open, and either badly threw it away or missed by a mile. The announcer seemed to think he threw it away under pressure, but i thought he had a chance to get the ball out there and in front of pettis and his throw could not have been caught by Wilt Chamberlain.

The penalties really could just as easily be in the ugly category.

Summary

Interesting thing about this game, the Rams really weren't bad and they weren't ugly. However, they didn't make the plays when they had a chance to make them and that was the difference. They only turned it over once, caused one turnover, and didn't get run out of the building, but they also weren't in the game at the end and its hard for me to view this game as anything other than losing to a better team on the road. A few key plays could have made a big difference (ie ray ray potentially falling on the fumble, givens making the catch on the long ball, the fake punt being executed better), but even that would not have guaranteed that we were going to win this game. To win a game like this, you need to be close in the fourth quarter, and that is where we just couldn't do enough offensively to stay in this game despite a valiant effort by the defense. There are real limitations to playing a team like the whiners on the road with a backup qb and we saw that come to fruition today. Let's hope that the Jake Long head injury is nothing serious and that he is able to play vs Arizona. Tim Barnes came in to play center at the start of the second half. Not sure if Wells was hurt or not and i dont know if Wells came back into the game later.

Arizona is another tough road game. They are a good team at home with Carson Palmer at qb, a brutal defense and a much improved O line. They are not as good in my view as the whiners, but its another game that the Rams are really going to need to take advantage of their opportunities better than they did today if they want a chance to win, because it's going to be tough to run the ball all day against that Big Dead defense. We are going to have to throw the ball some and that means avoiding the drops.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    RamDez, RealRam, MFranke and 4 others like this.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Re: Rams overpowered by Whiners in 23-13 Loss; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

One thing I saw that was bad, every time Long and Quinn had good pressure on the edge the center and guard were great at turning our DT's to the side opening up a big lane for Kaep to run through. Was horrible lane discipline from the two DTs.
    ManofGod likes this.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Outstanding report GC.

Kudos for managing to generate all those observations under the GOOD! Hard to be positive today.

The young Rams...
    Interesting, I just mentioned that in another thread, i.e., that we remain one of the youngest teams in the NFL. It's a fact, not an excuse. Again, coupled with what you wrote about as 'GOOD', then 2014 ought to be more productive, yield more wins for the Rams.

Youngest team in the NFL AND playing with a backup qb. Tough matchup on the road vs sf, people shouldnt underestimate how good and physical that team is with Crabtree back and their defense healthy, and that was with two starters missing on the offensive line. The whiners are vulnerable at corner, hard for a team like the Rams to take advantage of that when our receivers are dropping balls all over the field.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

I say the defensive play calling was the ugly as well as the poor thrown balls and missed receptions. For the most part the defense matched up well against their offensive line but you can't always count a player will get through individually on the QB. The edges where covered well but the inside pressure wasn't constant enough.

Capt. Kemp. tends to implode when there is no edge to scramble to and there is inside pressure. Honestly I thought Olgtree and Quinn would be the difference maker. The Rams might have been more open to Gore but I thought more linebacker stunts and safety blitzs coming off Brocker's side of the filed would have been where the Rams would go with the scheming. Just bust Kemp a few times in the chops and he gets really gun shy. Further Kemp gets too dependent on a hot receiver like with Bolden--a man over the top and one underneath punishes that habit
    Last edited by Ram Dragoon; -12-01-2013 at 09:52 PM.

GroundChuck is offline Registered User

No pass rush, horrible offensive play calls (Shotty, we are looking at you, consistency please) too many stupid penalties. All around crappy game.

Tom_SF is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=RealRam;478966]Outstanding report GC.

"Kudos for managing to generate all those observations under the GOOD! Hard to be positive today"

It's not easy to be diplomatic after you're screaming at a 6-foot 5-inch 235 pound receiver to catch a ball thrown right at him.
    Last edited by Tom_SF; -12-01-2013 at 10:09 PM.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

IMO, the fake punt was a bad call primarily because it was too deep in Ram territory (own 22). It was also called soon after Ogletree made a great play (causing a fumble) to keep the Rams in the game. You're still down by only ten points with a momentum shift and a whole quarter still left to go, so you kick the ball out of there to allow your defense to make another stop.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I would also add Jake Long to the "bad" list. Justin Smith was pushing him around all day long.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Great right-up GC. most deff Helped me come to terms with the game!

Chuck, when you say no pass rush, we had four sacks in the first half. I mentioned that our second half pass rush wasnt very good, but i note that 4 sacks per game is a league leading average. We pressured him a number of times, he is very quick and hard to bring down. He converted a number of passes while running for his life. Their offensive line is very good, even with two starters out. I think "no pass rush" is a little harsh considering the level of competition.

Jake Long got beat on the first series and pushed back into Clemens, but he held his own. I think its fair to say that he wasn't great, but like a lot of things in this game, i think its an overstatement to say that we were "bad" as much as to say that against this level of competition, you have to be outstanding to look good, and outstanding is something that we seldom were today.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Jake Long would be on the bad list if he was going up against someone else, but Smith is a regular Pro Bowler and a force up front.

Tavon definitely threw that away. They probably told him to throw it only if Pettis was wide open. You can't expect a non-QB to pick out Pettis on that pass, as the safety (i think Whitner) hadn't bitten on the fake and had ok coverage, to the point where any poorly thrown pass would be picked off.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I agree with the fake being the right call. Had we EXECUTED, Bailey was wide open for a huge gain, and the announcers even mentioned as much. Instead our special teams squad let a running back set the edge and disrupt the play.

Clemons probably put on one of his worst performances to date, if not the worst. Way off on a lot of throws and couldn't move the chains at all. To be fair though, he didn't get much help when he was on target.

The running game was very good considering the challenge of the ***** defense. The o-line held up well enough against a stiff pass rush too and gave Clemons a chance to be successful. Saffold shifted back over to LT quite nicely.

Jared Cook is continuing to struggle catching the ball. Givens as well. With few opportunities to complete a pass today, we really needed their contributions. We're lacking leadership and direction in the receiving squad, and nobody really looks confident out there. Austin generally made good of his opportunities and I definitely don't put that deep bomb miss on him. It was a bad throw.

Our run defense improved tremendously since the last time we met. 40 something yards for Gore. Brockers continues to look like the real deal. Langford is noticeably chipping in and I've seen improvement from him over the last couple of weeks. Pass rush was good in the first half, but I have to give Kap props on his ability to evade the rush in the pocket and make plays out of it. It was more of his great play than it was our poor pass rush in my opinion.

Jenkins is looking good on pass defense, but Tru is struggling. They're both committing too many penalties though. Another corner is a high priority need for this team in the offseason. Safety play was pretty poor for most of the game, though McDonald was solid in run support and had a nice pass breakup against Vernon Davis.

Hekker made some nice punts for us, and when the announcers brought up his play they mentioned he led the league in net yardage. He deserves pro bowl consideration.
    ram3057 likes this.

GroundChuck is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Chuck, when you say no pass rush, we had four sacks in the first half. I mentioned that our second half pass rush wasnt very good, but i note that 4 sacks per game is a league leading average. We pressured him a number of times, he is very quick and hard to bring down. He converted a number of passes while running for his life. Their offensive line is very good, even with two starters out. I think "no pass rush" is a little harsh considering the level of competition.

Jake Long got beat on the first series and pushed back into Clemens, but he held his own. I think its fair to say that he wasn't great, but like a lot of things in this game, i think its an overstatement to say that we were "bad" as much as to say that against this level of competition, you have to be outstanding to look good, and outstanding is something that we seldom were today.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I've cooled down this morning but I think my issue was when Staley went out I expected
    more pressure from Quinn's side than what we saw.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

While watching the game I couldn't keep from thinking what a Ram slaughtering beast Vernon Davis is. He's so engaged and in the moment he seems to enjoy contact, unlike Jared Cook.
    "The horror"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast