Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Rams overpowered by Whiners in 23-13 Loss; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: Rams overpowered by Whiners in 23-13 Loss; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Nice write-up GC, but we've come to expect that from you. I agree with your points about the game as I was able to watch it entirely since I'm local. I felt no shame in this loss. Much as I hate to admit it the whiners are a better team only because they are more experienced. I was pleased at the respect the announcers showed towards the Rams because we are soon going to be like them and challenging for the division crown. I think the 2nd half pass rush may have been less formidable as SF realized they needed to keep more players in on plays that helped protect. I must add we neutralized Aldon Smith in the 2nd half. Perhaps we wasn't in, but I didn't hear his name at all after half time.

I see this morning that Jake Long suffered a concussion. He may miss the AZ game, which creates an interesting scenario for Saffold's contract negotiations this off-season. As I said in another thread, we now know why Chris givens lasted until the 4th round of the draft. I contend that despite his poor performance this year he's better with Sam throwing to him. he can still blow the top off any defense with his speed so if his "hands" improve he might be a worthy WR for us.

My last point is about the CB's. I thought they played well enough yesterday, given their challenge. Anquan Boldin is one of the toughest WR's to cover, after Megatron. He makes contested catches better than anyone and yes he's a Rams Killer. I only say that thinking we are going to draft a starting CB is a mirage. Aside from this draft not being a good one for CB's and S's, Jenkins and Johnson are getting better in their roles, yes there are the penalties, but that happens to youngsters. What I think we need is an upgrade at FS where he can help out the CB's when we play tough WR's like Boldin. Here too, it's not likely to happen instantly in this draft, even with Clinton Hix, who might not even be highly rated by the Rams. But what do I know.

All told, it's better to win than lose, but we gave a shot yesterday and I think despite losing, it was a solid learning experience for our younger players. Kudos to Jeff and his staff for a good game plan, we just need to execute better. Don't forget we're a dome team, I think it makes a difference. On to AZ where I think we can win, particularly after yesterday.

Go Rams!

general counsel is online now Registered User

MDE, i would be surprised if people think that we need upgrades from Jenkins and Trumaine. I think the point at corner is that we need another guy. No way to know if Finnegan will be back or if we will regain his former performance level. Behind Jenkins and Trumaine we have almost nothing right now and if one of those guys gets hurt we are in serious trouble (see the mcgee debacle two weeks ago). In the NFL today, you need three good corners, and right now, we only have two.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    MDE, i would be surprised if people think that we need upgrades from Jenkins and Trumaine. I think the point at corner is that we need another guy. No way to know if Finnegan will be back or if we will regain his former performance level. Behind Jenkins and Trumaine we have almost nothing right now and if one of those guys gets hurt we are in serious trouble (see the mcgee debacle two weeks ago). In the NFL today, you need three good corners, and right now, we only have two.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Totally agree GC. I think whomever we draft will be a depth pick. You are right about Finnegan. Mcgee will come along nicely I'm sure. I was responding more to some posts that think we will draft a CB and he'll automatically become the next D. Revis. As I said if we get a better FS who can help our CB's that may be a huge upgrade in our pass coverage.

Go Rams!

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

We'll definitely need a corner if we plan on getting rid of Finnegan. It's crucial to have 3 good corners in nickel situations and McGee is still a big question mark.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    While watching the game I couldn't keep from thinking what a Ram slaughtering beast Vernon Davis is. He's so engaged and in the moment he seems to enjoy contact, unlike Jared Cook.
    Not sure he enjoyed all the contact yesterday.
    live4ramin likes this.

general counsel is online now Registered User

I heard that after the game McDonald apologized and offered Davis two free orchestra tickets to the world renowned San Francisco Ballet performing The Nutcracker.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Rambos, live4ramin and gap like this.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

I looked away. It was hideous.
    The break, don't bend offense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12