Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    argpdt is offline Registered User

Rams Owe Marshall Faulk Playing Time

I find it disgusting the way that the Rams are "utilizing" Marshall Faulk these days. The past 5 or 6 games Faulk is getting very few on field plays with even fewer touches. I think that now that the season is over, the Rams should let Faulk start and see if he brings anything to the running game. Steven Jackson may be the back of the future for the Rams, but his performance has helped contribute to this lost season. When Jackson catches the ball he can be a threat, but he doesn't make people miss in the open field like Faulk either running or receiving, and Jackson has looked like he has hands of stone on far too many passes.
    Faulk needs less than 40 yards receiving to be #1 all time amongst NFL RBs and the Rams owe him that honor.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rams Owe Marshall Faulk Playing Time

I don't know about the whole "owing" thing, but I would like to see Faulk get that record.

As for Jackson as a receiver, he's doing fairly well (40 receptions), but he's no Faulk.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Rest Jackson, put Faulk in - expect 3.0 yards a carry though. The Offensive Line smells.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Something to think about here, IF Faulk were to start in front of Jackson and IF he had some big games and did well (I think it's almost impossible behind that line) but who knows, that would cause a RB controversy that really isnt needed right now.

Faulk should be getting more carries than he has been getting, but Jackson needs to get the majority.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

There's no way Jackson will ever be even the shadow of MF, but is also true that MF had better FB and better OL that SJ is having now

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

How can we continue to have this discussion. Although it is painfully obvious that Faulk needs more carries, Jackson is still the starter. Jackson has had two 100 yard rushing games behind a terrible O-Line. He still has some things to learn, but you cant learn these things on the sideline. The Rams are preparing for the future, not taking another step back into the past
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Rip32 is offline Registered User

I absolutley agree with this post,I think after everything Marshall did for us,he should at least be getting 8-12 touches a game

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    Rest Jackson, put Faulk in - expect 3.0 yards a carry though. The Offensive Line smells.

Faulk 30 carries this year 150 yards 5 yards per carry and that is coming off the bench cold. Its hard to get into a groove with that few of touches.

That’s a ridiculous statement Faulk has averaged more yards per carry then Jackson is now while seeing very little action. How can you make a statement like that it’s just ridiculous to say he would do worse then Jackson. Faulk is finally healthy and doing good although he is seeing very little action other then blocking which Jackson has not been doing a very good job at. Faulk looks elusive and has turned no gains into gains every time I see Jackson go anywhere other the forward he gets shoelace tackled. He has to run north and south. Faulk is still elusive and you have to wrap him up or he will slip away. I rarely see Jackson high step or spin away from a tackle like Faulk can.

I would love to see what Faulk could do with 11 carries I bet he would beat the QB by more then 2 yards and the QB only had three carries. Yes the OL sucked but Faulk could do just as good as Jackson has. People say we should keep with the running game but its hard when Jackson runs on first and gets 0 or negative yards and puts you in a long situation. Faulk rarely gets negative yards rushing.

I think there a lot of people are afraid Faulk may prove to be better then Jackson now that he is fully healthy if he saw more action. I realize Jackson is our future but we should not minimize the impact Faulk can still make on this team if used on a regular basis.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -12-07-2005 at 12:54 AM.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by argpdt
    I think that now that the season is over, the Rams should let Faulk start and see if he brings anything to the running game.
    On if RB Marshall Faulk getting more touches would help the running game, Vitt states, "Not unless he has wings and can fly. There has to be a running lane. There has to be somewhere to run the football, and if there is, Steven [Jackson] will find it. There was no running lane yesterday, none.”

Case closed.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

STLRAMSFAN Guest

* RB: The "Train" blew up in the station, as Steven Jackson managed a
    miserable six yards on 12 attempts against one of the league's worst
    run defenses.
    Besides the one successful draw play the Rams ran, Steven
    spent the day running sideways not very fast and getting nailed in the
    backfield.
    While I'm pretty sure Steven didn't receive a decent block
    all day, he didn't help his cause with indecisive running, and I don't
    think he broke a single tackle today or put a decent fake on anybody.

He fumbled at the Arizona 23, creating at least a six-point swing,
    since the Cards converted that turnover into a FG to go up 13-10 at
    halftime. Jackson also had a bad day picking up the Arizona blitz. He
    gave up two sacks
    to blitzmaniac Adrian Wilson, including the play
    where Wilson sacked and injured Bulger. He also blew the pickup badly
    when Martin was sacked and fumbled in the 4th.
    And for all the
    literally dozens of times Wilson blitzed, Jackson never hit him hard,
    never discouraged him from coming after Rams QBs all day. For a
    physical RB, Steven didn't show much today. The "good" news is he
    probably won't have a worse game in his career.
    After AZ game when Jackson helped get Bulger and Martin injured.

* RB: Steven Jackson looked like 1995 Jerome Bettis today, with a weak 24 yards on 11 carries behind the kind of blocking Jerome used to get from the likes of the Road Grader. Steven seemed to run hesitantly again, though I don't know how much of that was due to Redskins continually meeting him in the backfield. There seemed to be opportunities for him to take a run upfield, but he balked and kept hunting-and-pecking outside. He didn’t break many tackles, always getting taken down by the first defender to get to him. It’s highly discouraging as a fan to think a drive is going to stall because the Rams just handed Steven the ball, but that’s what’s happening. Four of his rushes were for losses. It’s really inexcusable that a back of Steven’s physical stature is no longer a physical back. It’s especially dumb of the Rams to use him like the world’s largest scatback, always running him outside, when he lacks the speed and moves for it. If the Rams don’t start running Steven more up the middle of the field, (especially – AHEM – on say, third-and-1?) and if he doesn’t start delivering punishment instead of taking it, a once-promising RB prospect will be ruined.
    I found this that sums up Jackson's last performance.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -12-07-2005 at 12:54 AM.

OrlandoPaceIsMyHero is offline Registered User

quote: "Faulk 30 carries this year 150 yards 5 yards per carry and that is coming off the bench cold. Its hard to get into a groove with that few of touches.

That’s a ridiculous statement Faulk has averaged more yards per carry then Jackson is now while seeing very little action. "

That could be because Faulk is often in during situations where the other team does not expect a run (e.g. 3rd and long, 2nd and long), and the rams run a draw to him to against a soft shell defense.

Jackson is often going from 1st and 10 or second and 5ish situations where runs are expected and the defense has 4 DLs and 3 LBs on the field.

And yes, this o-line stinks so much that barry sanders couldn't do much here.

-OPIMH

STLRAMSFAN Guest

If you look it up you would probably find that Faulk has not had as many negative yard runs over the last three years combined as Jackson has had this year. Jackson is not elusive Faulk can turn nothing into something. We had a bad OL last year also.

You can blame everything on the play calling but when it comes down to it Jackson dances too much and he is not a dancer. Faulk can dance with the best of them and rarely gets caught behind the line of scrimmage.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -12-07-2005 at 01:38 AM.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by STLRAMSFAN
    After AZ game when Jackson helped get Bulger and Martin injured.

As much as I respect and enjoy Mike Franke's game reports, you're not honestly telling me that you're taking his analysis over the analysis of our interim head coach, are you?

Quote Originally Posted by OrlandoPaceIsMyHero
    That could be because Faulk is often in during situations where the other team does not expect a run (e.g. 3rd and long, 2nd and long), and the rams run a draw to him to against a soft shell defense.

Jackson is often going from 1st and 10 or second and 5ish situations where runs are expected and the defense has 4 DLs and 3 LBs on the field.
    That actually has been the case. After four weeks I did a bit of an analysis on Faulk's rushing and how he was gaining his yards. It can be found here, which was pretty much shrugged off in no real logical way by STL. I was basically told that I was trying to twist the facts to make Faulk look bad, and my conclusions were ignored.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rip32 is offline Registered User

Dont you think some of the coaches could get it into Jackson's head that he is a big bruising back who should be hitting the first hole he see's and breaking tackles and getting hard earned yards,then that will open up the toss and the sweep because the Lbs and safties will be peaking inside,Its not rocket science

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by STLRAMSFAN
    You forgot to highlight this quote in your last statement.

though I don't know how much of that was due to Redskins continually meeting him in the backfield.
    No one can run when the defense meets them straight up in the backfield. The O-Line needs to block better, plain and simple. Actually, I can name two names of guys that need to step it up or be put on the bench. McCollum and Timmerman. I repsect these guys because they're warriors. They havent done what they're supposed to though. Terrell has looked good, Pace has had one of his better seasons, and Barron has been about as dominant as a rookie can be.

Faulk does need more touches, but the fact is he gave up the starting job to Jackson. it was his idea. He doesnt believe that his knees can hold up to carrying the load.

But yes we do need more of a 1,2 punch in the running game.

The 1st punch being when the O-Line blows someone off the line and the 2nd punch being when Jackson runs through a gaping hole built by that first punch. That's how we can improve our running game.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast