Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Exclamation Rams, Pace can resume talks

By Bill Coats
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    07/14/2004

With the start of training camp less than two weeks away, a key piece of the Rams' puzzle still is missing. But the status of All-Pro left tackle Orlando Pace, who has been designated the team's franchise player for the second year in a row, could be tidied up soon.

Beginning today, the team can resume contract negotiations with Pace, whose agent is Houston-based Carl Poston. Talks ceased March 17 because under NFL guidelines, the Rams would have lost the right to apply the franchise tag on any player over the length of a contract that Pace may have signed before July 15.

Both sides are seeking a long-term deal, with the main sticking point being the amount of the signing bonus: The Rams have offered $13 million; Poston initially asked for $27 million in a seven-year, $71 million proposal, but later indicated that he would seek a bonus of about $20 million.

Pace, however, asserted later in March that he and the Rams might not be so far apart. A few days after a Post-Dispatch story cited two team sources who said the Rams would be willing to boost the bonus to $16 million or $17 million, Pace telephoned the reporter and said that if the Rams were to make such an offer, "I think we can get something done."

Less than a week later, Poston said, "If that's what he wants to do, fine. It's his decision." Attempts to reach Poston and Rams president of football operations Jay Zygmunt, who handles contract negotiations, were unsuccessful on Wednesday.

Pace, 28, boycotted the team's minicamps, offseason conditioning program and training camp last year in a contract dispute; he later was named the Rams' franchise player. He also missed minicamp this past May and again was absent from the offseason workouts.

Pace is a six-year NFL veteran from Ohio State. The Rams selected him with the first overall pick in the 1997 draft. Pace, 6-foot-7 and 325 pounds, soon became the key cog on the offensive line. He has been invited to the Pro Bowl the past five seasons, a span in which the Rams posted a 56-24 regular-season record and appeared in two Super Bowls.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams, Pace can resume talks

They can resume talks, but the real question is will they? It's put up or shut up time for Orlando. If any of that stuff he said in March was true about wanting to get something done, it's time to show it.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I don't expect anything to happen until training camp is either over or just about over.

thoey is offline Registered User

I agree TX. He doesn't want to be in camp. They'll get it done, but only when they need to.

I really wish he would sign and show up for at least a week of camp.
    This space for rent...

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by thoey
    I agree TX. He doesn't want to be in camp. They'll get it done, but only when they need to.

I really wish he would sign and show up for at least a week of camp.
    I hear what you're saying, thoey, but with our luck he would probably break a leg or something in his first practice. As bad as I hate to admit it, last season he picked up pretty quickly even without camp. I think he'll miss camp again, but, the difference being, this year he will get the long-term deal done with or without team Poston.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

thoey is offline Registered User

He did do well, but the team, along with the rest of the O-Line, needs to get used to playing with the big boy....
    This space for rent...

Quote Originally Posted by thoey
    He did do well, but the team, along with the rest of the O-Line, needs to get used to playing with the big boy....
    I agree. There's a lot to be said for chemistry on the O-line.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramfaninpgh is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    I don't expect anything to happen until training camp is either over or just about over.
    And that's what burns me about Pace. I understand he doesn't have a contract and so doesn't have to show until the deal is done, but he's notorious for sitting out camp. I really think he needs to be there sooner than the last week. Get in game shape sooner, get with the new wrinkles I anticipate the offense will put in, hell, just get around the guys again. Nobody wants to go through the rigors of camp, but it's not like the veterans are going through Camp Lombardi these days anyway.

If he was sincere in what he said in March, get the deal done and get to Macomb sooner than later.

By the way, I know how the Postons negotiate (for lack of a better word), but what kind of negotiator is ZYgmunt?
    :angryram: RamFanInPgh

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Trade Pace for 2 #1s.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon
    Trade Pace for 2 #1s.
    To who? Even Cleveland, a team who was dying for a skilled LT, wouldn't make that deal for Pace.

Besides, I'm not looking forward to having Turley move over and Williams serve as the other bookend. I don't know about you, but I don't have a burning desire to see Smoker forced to start this season.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Pace is possibly, no I'll say it, Pace has ALWAYS been the most important person on the offense. He protects the blind side of the QB. No one is better than Orlando Pace at his position for what he does for the Rams.

Trading Pace would be the dumbest thing the Rams have ever done.

elAcky Guest

Trade Pace for 2 #1s.
    Coy, we should have done this before i.e. we missed the boat and its now too late to find a decent replacement

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Pace is possibly, no I'll say it, Pace has ALWAYS been the most important person on the offense. He protects the blind side of the QB. No one is better than Orlando Pace at his position for what he does for the Rams.

Trading Pace would be the dumbest thing the Rams have ever done.

Tx I think you're overstating Pace's value - "the most important person on the offense".

I think Warner and Faulk were far more important, and, perhaps its a coincidence, but some other's have agreed with me.

Nick makes a good point about who would pay 2 #1s, but I say that they should try to get a great deal for him. Pace has turned this into a circus. And if he plays the same game as last year, only to show up cold in the first game, well maybe Smoker will start after all, even with Pace on the line.

I have a question for the guys who know about contracts... let's say Pace is signed for a huge contract, but he sucks this season and next. Could the Rams cut him like they did Warner, to unload an under-achieving player and save money?

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon
    Tx I think you're overstating Pace's value - "the most important person on the offense".

I think Warner and Faulk were far more important, and, perhaps its a coincidence, but some other's have agreed with me.

Nick makes a good point about who would pay 2 #1s, but I say that they should try to get a great deal for him. Pace has turned this into a circus. And if he plays the same game as last year, only to show up cold in the first game, well maybe Smoker will start after all, even with Pace on the line.

I have a question for the guys who know about contracts... let's say Pace is signed for a huge contract, but he sucks this season and next. Could the Rams cut him like they did Warner, to unload an under-achieving player and save money?
    Coy, I don't know. I think Tx makes a point here. At the risk of sounding quasi-blasphemous, Kurt Warner can be replaced. Bulger will never be Warner '99-'01, but he manages to run the offense well enough. I think we will soon find that Faulk can be replaced. I believe Jackson will be a premier back in the league. Pace can not be replaced....yet. The difference is timing. Warner has maybe 2 or 3 more good years in him. Faulk, about the same. O-linemen generally last longer than skill players. Pace may have another 10-12 years in him. Now is the time to get him signed long-term not shop him.

general counsel Guest

Note that the article in the post dispatch contradicts what howard balzer has reported, ie that no talks can occur until pace signs the tender. This is chicken and egg. They want to get a deal done, but pace really doesnt want to suffer in the heat in macomb. In order to get the long term deal done, he actually has to sign and get to training camp, if mr. balzer is correct that they cant negotiate without the tender being signed.

As to his value, i dont think he was as important as faulk or warner in their prime, but i think he is currently the most important guy on the offense. No one ever was willing to give us a 1 and a 2, let alone two #1's so that is an academic discussion. Player assessment aside, no one was going to give up that much AND have to deal with the postons and their outrageous demands.

ramming speed to all

sign the big man

general counsel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast