Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams and Pace talk as negotiating blackout looms

Rams and Pace talk as negotiating blackout looms
    By Jim Thomas
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    Tuesday, Mar. 08 2005

Talks continue between the Rams and agents for offensive tackle Orlando Pace,
    but the clock is ticking. Just a week remains before a four-month negotiating
    blackout period begins for franchise players.

Rams president of football operations Jay Zygmunt spoke with Pace's new agents
    Tuesday about a multiple-year deal. Zygmunt rarely says much about current
    negotiations, but he was particularly tight-lipped Tuesday about the status of
    the Pace contract talks.

"We're conferring, and we'll continue to talk, but that's all I want to say at
    this point," Zygmunt said.

Pace recently hired agents Kennard McGuire and Fletcher Smith of Chicago-based
    CSMG Sports. McGuire did not return a phone message from the Post-Dispatch on
    Tuesday.

After designating Pace as the team's franchise player for the third consecutive
    year, the Rams have until March 15 to negotiate a multiple-year deal.
    Otherwise, under league rules, the Rams must wait until July 15 to resume
    negotiations. That would all but ensure that Pace misses the entire offseason
    conditioning program, minicamps, and all or most of training camp.

Pace currently counts $8.425 million against the team's salary cap. A
    multiple-year deal could trim $3 million or more from that cap figure, freeing
    up money for the Rams to pursue other free agents.

"It would just provide so much more money to continue to plug in a significant
    player on defense to help," coach Mike Martz said Tuesday.

But Martz was almost as cautious as Zygmunt in assessing the Pace contract
    situation.

"You always try to be positive about these things and hope that the right
    thing's going to happen, but we'll see," Martz said. "I don't know what to tell
    you."

Rams renew interest in Roland Williams

Seeking to bolster their tight end position, the Rams want to bring in Roland
    Williams for a visit and a physical. But Williams is headed to Hawaii for the
    NFL Players Association meetings today, and won't return for another week.

Williams, 29, was a fourth-round draft pick of the Rams in 1998 out of
    Syracuse. He spent his first three NFL seasons with St. Louis as the team's
    primary starter at tight end. He was traded to Oakland following the 2000
    season, and has spent three of the past four seasons with the Raiders. He
    appeared in 12 games last season for Oakland, including three starts, but had
    no catches.

Saipaia gets bonus

Offensive lineman Blaine Saipaia received an extra $80,061 in salary for the
    2004 season under the NFL's performance-based pay program. This season, each
    team received an extra $1.784 million in performance-based pay - money over and
    above base salaries that does not count against a team's salary cap.

In the case of the Rams, the money was distributed to 59 players, with
    Saipaia's total a team high. Other Rams receiving performance-based pay in
    excess of $60,000 were: safety Rich Coady ($71,750); linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa
    ($71,019); linebacker Brandon Chillar ($67,606); fullback Joey Goodspeed
    ($65,420); and defensive end Bryce Fisher ($63,042).

The program is designed primarily to reward players with low or moderate
    contracts using a formula that takes into account playing time and performance.

Comings and goings

Guard-tackle Darnell Alford has agreed to terms on a one-year deal for the
    veteran's minimum and is expected to sign today. Alford was with the Rams for
    the entire 2004 season but did not appear in any games.

The Rams have made contract offers to defensive backs Michael Hawthorne and
    Michael Stone, both of whom were in for free-agent visits earlier this week.

Guard-center Matt Lehr completed a free-agent trip to Denver on Tuesday and
    promptly headed to Atlanta for another visit. The Rams claimed Lehr off waivers
    from Dallas on Dec. 29, but he never appeared in a game for St. Louis.

Russ Michna, a candidate for the Rams' No. 3 quarterback job, has been cut from
    his NFL Europe team.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams and Pace talk as negotiating blackout looms

Hmmm, I'd take Roland Williams back. Never thought of that.

Interesting! :mask:

RamTime Guest

He's Lazy, Plain and simple. Orlando Pace is a Lazy, uninspired player that has God gifted talent. I guess it's true, everyone makes mistakes.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thomas

Other Rams receiving performance-based pay in excess of $60,000 were: safety Rich Coady ($71,750) ... The program is designed primarily to reward players with low or moderate contracts using a formula that takes into account ... performance.
    Someone call the cops. This is nothing more than grand theft larceny.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Russ Michna, a candidate for the Rams' No. 3 quarterback job, has been cut from his NFL Europe team.
    Probably not a good sign for an NFL candidate to get cut from his NFLE team.

Bring on Ryan Fitzpatrick, Harvard's genius QB. Martz would have the perfect clip-board holder, tax accountant, doctor, lawyer, engineer, cold-fusion chemist & bio-geneticist all in one.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

[Bring on Ryan Fitzpatrick, Harvard's genius QB. Martz would have the perfect clip-board holder, tax accountant, doctor, lawyer, engineer, cold-fusion chemist & bio-geneticist all in one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... Yeah... BUT can he play safety??? :tongue:

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam
    [Bring on Ryan Fitzpatrick, Harvard's genius QB. Martz would have the perfect clip-board holder, tax accountant, doctor, lawyer, engineer, cold-fusion chemist & bio-geneticist all in one.
    Yeah... Yeah... BUT can he play safety??? :tongue:[/QUOTE]Hmm, good point. I forgot about the ol' Bellisari amendment.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramhard is offline Registered User

I want an athletic QB!

How about Adrian McPherson in the 5th if available, or Leflors in the 6th? I want a QB that can move!

Re: I want an athletic QB!

Quote Originally Posted by ramhard
    How about Adrian McPherson in the 5th if available, or Leflors in the 6th? I want a QB that can move!
    Then how about the Razorback's Matt Jones. Fastest 40-time ever for a QB and projects as a WR. Since 3rd QB is just for emergencies anyway, Jones could fill both roles, 3rd QB and 5th WR. Why take up two roster spots when he could do both?

Not sure I'd really want Jones as our 3rd QB, as I'm sure there's a reason besides speed that he's being projected at a different position than quarterback. If we did go that route, we should definitely keep at least one QB on the practice squad whom we feel comfortable with in this offense.

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Not sure I'd really want Jones as our 3rd QB, as I'm sure there's a reason besides speed that he's being projected at a different position than quarterback. If we did go that route, we should definitely keep at least one QB on the practice squad whom we feel comfortable with in this offense.
    What's it matter who's our 3rd stringer? If Bulger goes down again, we'll go sign Martin. That's why it's an emergency position. Jones would only come in for emergencies, like Bulger and Smoker collide in pre-game, and Martin isn't answering his phone, and Chandler is on the golf course, and Joe Germaine's number is unlisted. You know, emergencies.

Sweet, thanks for clearing that up, bison. Though I suspect that even if Chandler were in the stands, he wouldn't be as high on the list as you've got him.

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Sweet, thanks for clearing that up, bison. Though I suspect that even if Chandler were in the stands, he wouldn't be as high on the list as you've got him.
    Oh I'm sorry. You thought I meant Chris Chandler, no, no, no, I was talking about Chandler from Friends.

general counsel Guest

As in Chandler Bing i believe. Another preferable Chandler option would be Raymond Chandler, the author, who i am relatively sure is dead.

general counsel

sbramfan Guest

That's pretty damn funny....

got to admit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast