RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams part ways with Ligashesky

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    01/25/2007

The Rams will have a new special teams coach after all. After much deliberation, coach Scott Linehan has decided not to renew the contract of Bob Ligashesky, who has coached Rams special teams the past two seasons.

Ligashesky has been given permission to interview with other teams. Linehan, who was not immediately available for comment Thursday, is interviewing potential replacements.

Despite signs of improvement in some areas, the Rams still finished near the bottom of the league in punt returns (tied for 25th), kickoff returns (26th), and kickoff coverage (28th) in 2006. Rams coverage units did force and recover a fumble against San Francisco on Nov. 26, and recovered a muff punt at Oakland on Dec. 17. But the Rams also yielded three return touchdowns _ on a punt return by Seattle’s Nate Burleson on Nov. 12, and two kickoff returns by Chicago’s Devin Hester on Dec. 11.

Ligashesky, 44, was among only three coaches from Mike Martz’s staff retained when Linehan was named Rams head coach 12 months ago. During his season-ending press conference 3∏ weeks ago, Linehan said he didn’t anticipate any staff changes. But he has been contemplating making a change at special teams coach since the end of the season, something Ligashesky was aware of.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams part ways with Ligashesky

It's a tough business, no doubt. I wonder if the NFL will consider hiring personnel, both coaches and players, from TEMP agencies, :-)

SPECIAL TEAMS COACH, TEMP TO HIRE. SALARY BASED ON EXPERIENCE MINUS DEDUCTIONS ON EACH PUNT/KICKOFF RETURNED FOR TD. IT'S ONLY A GAME.

BigGameHolt is offline Registered User

Maybe, we will have some TDs on our returns for once, not watching Hester prance into the end zone at the EDJ
    :clanram: BIG GAME Holt

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

I'm honestly surprised he lasted this long.

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

With all of the offseason coaching changes there has got to be a decent SP teams coach out there.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Ligashesky was not the reason our special teams stink the place up. We've been consistently bad for the last 4-5 years and that's down to talent I'm afraid.

Bobby April got fired and the season after he got SP coach of the year or something.

There's a lesson in there for us somewhere, damned if I know what it is though.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Keeping up with the young talent is something we haven't done in special teams or defense...its time to change that. Now if thats the coache's fault or not, either way, I say try to get the best man for the job...anyone impressive looking for a job at the moment?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Wonder who Linehan will look into hiring. Personally, I wouldn't mind the ST Coordinator for the Ohio State.

Or a person who is currently coordinating somewhere else in the NFL.
    RamsFan16

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Teams with a lot of very good skill players often are bad in the ST department. It's kind of a trade off. Teams with a great defense and bad offense are usually the best in special teams.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Bobby April is the best special teams coach in the league. The Bills Special teams routinely contend for the top spot in every category. That he failed here was a testament on how little Martz cared for special teams.

BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

Good ridence. He should have been gone last season.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Whether it was lack of good enough players, or coaching or both, Linehan likely prefers his own guy. After all the Rams will sink or swim with the personnel choices he makes both on the field and on the sidelines. I don't see it as an earthshaking move -- more of a tweak. Hopefully the coaching "tweak" and a few FA/draft tweaks will provide a big enough push to get over the hump we've been stuck behind ... Where are you Tony Horne ???