Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams place franchise tag on Orlando Pace

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel Guest

Re: Rams place franchise tag on Orlando Pace

Strategy question on the tag for pace. If we have until march 15th to sign him, why do we tag him now, instead of waiting until closer to the deadline? Is the point to prevent him as a practical matter from getting offers from others? Using the tag, which pace and everyone else must know we will do if we have to (rather than allowing him to walk for no compensation), is a given, but does the current timing generate additional ill will when we may have a fresh start without the postons? I guess i can see it from the teams viewpoint, which is to say that if they allow him to recieve offers at a time when he is truly an unrestricted free agent, the true free market price will be established once and for all and if its not really close to what we are willing to pay, we may lose the chance once and for all to get a long term deal done.

Personally, i think the next month is our best shot to get it done. New agent, cant blame the postons anymore. This is now up to Pace and the Rams to see if they can find an acceptable middle ground.

I would love to see us sign Pace longterm while seattle is losing some combination of walter jones (who i believe they will tag), alexander and hassleback.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

rampete is offline Registered User

this does not bode well for either the rams nor pace. the rams salary cap is shot with approx. 8.3 mil. taken up by the tag and pace is only guaranteed for the upcoming year; if he's seriously injured anytime during the offseason or the upcoming season he may never get the big contract that he's aiming for...

placing the tag with nearly five more days to go probably means one of two things...pace has no representation and isn't returning calls or he's asking for a ludicrous postonesque numbers...

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Strategy question on the tag for pace. If we have until march 15th to sign him, why do we tag him now, instead of waiting until closer to the deadline? Is the point to prevent him as a practical matter from getting offers from others?
    The deadline to apply the franchise tag is February 22nd. While we have until March 15th to sign him before the blackout begins, if we didn't franchise him by the 22nd, then he'd be able to entertain offers from anyone come the beginning of free agency on March 2nd.

I'm tempted to believe that franchising him now is meant to be incentive for him to finalize the hiring of a new agent, which he has yet to do. I don't figure there's much the Rams can do in terms of negotiations until Pace decides on a new agent, and maybe this was meant to tell him that he needs to do that fairly soon.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Here we go again.I think he'll be franchised untill 2007 or 08
    Last edited by psycho9985; -02-02-2006 at 10:23 PM.

majorram is offline Registered User

This is one HUGE key to our off-season, this guy must be signed long term or traded, our off-season plans lie heavily on a done deal with Pace... To be active in free agency, THIS DEAL HAS TO BE DONE!!!!...we need ever dollar

steve :ramlogo:

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

By franchising him the contract won't take effect until 2006 right? Don't we have to pay him $8.3M this season anyway?

I don't think the actual cap hit of the contract takes effect until he signs the tender. Given his history, if they can't reach a deal, that'll be late summer. But we have to plan on that money being gone from our cap space at this point. And yes, if he doesn't sign long term, the price we'd pay him is $8.425M.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

This is a friggin nightmare. I understand why they did it, but jeeez. Does this guy really care. There's plenty of agents. They are just a phone call away and who the hell wouldn't want to represent Pace? One of the Premiere Line men of the game. I'm sure he has had plenty of calls and he isn't in any hurry!And every year missing t-Camp. It's bull****. He's not showing me any loyalty what so ever!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69
    There's plenty of agents. They are just a phone call away and who the hell wouldn't want to represent Pace?
    Especially considering they get to walk into a situation where they can negotiate probably the largest offensive lineman contract in the NFL, which they'll get a percentage of.

That said, Pace is down in Hawaii for the Pro Bowl and probably can't think of his agent stuff right now. If Pace doesn't have an agent signed by next Friday, I'm going to be getting a bit peeved at him. But I'll let it slide until then.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

I guess if I was in Hawaii I wouldn't be thinking about that stuff either! Til friday it is............But if he slacks, I'm sending Snake Plisscan to set the guy straight!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Guys, this is a non-story.

It does not matter when the Rams franchise Pace. The only thing that matters is whether the Rams can reach a long-term deal with Pace before March 15.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, it's kind of hard NOT to tag Pace due to the fact he dosen't have an agent yet...thus there is no way to sign him WITHOUT tagging him.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Well, it's kind of hard NOT to tag Pace due to the fact he dosen't have an agent yet...thus there is no way to sign him WITHOUT tagging him.
    Well, he could represent himself, I think.

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

He can represent himself and some players do. I believe Tedy Bruschi does. It isn't the greatest idea, though.

I'm a little more optimistic for some reason since the Poston's aren't in it. But, I'm still expecting the same ol' same ol'.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions