RamTime Guest

Rams players attend Little's trial

Rams players attend Little's trial
    By William C. Lhotka
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    03/30/2005

A number of St. Louis Rams were spectators this morning in the trial of their colleague, Leonard Little, who is accused of drunk driving and speeding in Ladue last year.

Attending a morning of jury selection in St. Louis County Circuit Court were: quarterback Marc Bulger, running back Marshall Faulk, and center Andy McCollum. Little, 30, of St. Charles, is a Pro-Bowl defensive end.

One of the prospective jurors recognized the players who were in the back row on the right side of the courtroom, with 36 jurors on the left side and 12 in the jury box,. The number had been winnowed down from an original pool of 80 after each potential juror was questioned individually about publicity.
    Prosecutor Mark Bishop, in his general questioning, had asked all 48 if they recognized anyone in the courtroom. That prompted the one juror to identify Bulger, McCollum and Faulk, and Bishop to then ask the panel if they would be influenced during the trial by the presence of professional football players. No one said their presence would influence jury decisions.

LIttle is represented by defense attorneys Scott Rosenblum and John Rogers. They questioned the 48 when Bishop finished. The accusation that Little was speeding and drunk April 24 on Highway 40 in Ladue last year ``is just a piece of paper in a court file,'' Bishop said. ``The defendant has pleaded not guilty. That, too, is just a piece of paper in the court file.''

Jurors agreed with Bishop that they would be guided only by the facts from the witness stand the instructions of Judge Emmett M. O'Brien.

Faulk is no stranger to the Clayton courthouse. In a courtroom two doors down from O'Brien in 2003, a jury concluded that Faulk had been falsely accused of domestic violence by a former girlfriend who wanted $3 million in damages and ended up paying Faulk $125. Rosenblum was Faulk's lawyer in that case. He also represented Little in 1999 when Little pleaded guilty of involuntary manslaughter in the death of Susan Gutweiler, 47, of Oakville, in a crash downtown.

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: Rams players attend Little's trial

It could be all a Show.

But it certainly is a nice "show" of support. I like Bulger more and more as the days go by.

Scidog68 is offline Registered User

Regardless of his guilt or innocence, a show of support for their friend and colleague in this, his time of need, was a welcome display of class by three of the nicest, classiest gentlmen in the NFL.

Hooah

Win, Lose or Draw... Rams for Life!
    :football:

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

you really get a sense of how tight some of these guys who have been here for awhile really are on this team. That's a good sight. Bulger is turning into one hell of a leader too. Going to see Little, a defender, in a time where he needs support really shows you how this is his team, not just his offense.

rammiser is online now Registered User

I see this a bit differently than you guys do. I think this may be a show of support and thats great, but I think that the Rams and Rosenblum may have put them up to it. I mean there can't be many people in the jury that don't recognize Rams players. Even though they say they are not influenced, in the back of their head it may have planted a seed to the effect of how important Little is to his teammates and the Rams. This is just specualtion but it's very smart thinking if that is the case. I'm not saying these guys don't support him but that two of the biggest stars and very recognizeable figures show up on the same day seems a bit fishy. Throw in McCollum just to mix things up and there you have a silent but subliminal message to any juror recognizing Faulk and Bulger. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but thats the first thing that popped into my head. Maybe I'm watching too much C.S.I or something. Anyway what do you guys think?

GO RAMS RE-TOOL FOR 05 :ramlogo:

Call me crazy but I don't think a judge would allow them to attend if that were the case.

rammiser is online now Registered User

How would the judge know though. It's not like the Rams would let it be known publicly that they would put players up to this. The Rams have a vested interest in Little getting off innocent and playing a little bit of mind games by having Faulk and Bulger show up doesnt hurt Littles case. Think about it if you were just a casual Rams, fan and next thing you know your on the Little jury and Faulk and Bulger show up, and say down the road Holt and Bruce show up. In the back of your mind as a casual Rams fan what would you think? I think this plants a seed in the jurors minds about the importance of Little to the Rams. It's a bit of a subliminal message. This is just for conversation sake, I know its a bit far fetched, but this was my first thought when I read the article. I mean this is just jury selection, and all of the sudden Faulk and Bulger show up together. A tad bit fishy wouldnt you say?
    Just Fix It

Someone's been watching a bit too much "Must-See TV".

Sometimes, people support their friends because it's nice, not because it will do any thing for them. Have you ever offered words of encouragement to a friend during hard times, knowing the words won't help, yet saying them anyway? Why? I prefer to think of these gentlemen as showing support for their friend during a dark time in his life, guilt or innocence aside, because it's something you do for a friend, not to affect the outcome of the legal process. But that's just me.

The glass is half full, Baby!

Hooah

general counsel Guest

Excellent point Sci Dog. Furthermore, remember the players are taking personal risk by attending the trial. Some people may well draw negative associations from them supporting little. That could hurt their marketability. This is a very controversial case and the fact that the players, especially the team leaders and martz, show up to support a friend in need means something nice.

I like the expression See the Glass half full sci dog, i use it a lot in business.

general counsel

Thanks, GC. Always look for the good in any situation.

Hooah

How would the judge know though.
    Well I think an experienced judge would have the nose to sniff out something like that. But then again, I guess we just live in a society where nobody would stick up for their teammates right?

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Excellent point Sci Dog. Furthermore, remember the players are taking personal risk by attending the trial. Some people may well draw negative associations from them supporting little. That could hurt their marketability. This is a very controversial case and the fact that the players, especially the team leaders and martz, show up to support a friend in need means something nice.

I like the expression See the Glass half full sci dog, i use it a lot in business.

general counsel
    I guess you won't want one of these, then: