Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: The Rams are playing the game correctly, as long as...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The Rams are playing the game correctly, as long as...

The Rams will always be known as the last team to give a mega-contract to a rookie before the new scale went into effect. Perhaps it is this experience that motivated the Rams' current approach, which is the perfect tactic to utilize under the new system.

The Rams have done three things in the last 12 months which will dictate their future: (1) they removed the dead weight of overpaid/underperforming veterans, (2) they stockpiled draft picks, and (3) they instituted a policy of paying FAs "up front," rather than backloading contracts against future caps.

The plan is to have a roster that, by 2014, will consist almost entirely of players who are locked in for 2 or more years, and will be primarily comprised of players on cap-friendly rookie contracts.

This is the way the game has to be played in today's NFL. Unlike the old system, the new system truly favors "home grown" teams. The top picks in the NFL draft no longer are paid like top tier FAs. In fact, most rookies these days are paid less than middle-of-the road FAs (compare, for example, Julio Jones' contract to Pierre Garcon's).

The Rams are doing everything right under this new system.

Of course, there's a catch.

The Rams have to draft quality players.

So far, I'd say they are doing a good job. The last two drafts have yielded Robert Quinn, Robert Kendricks, Michael Brockers, Janoris Jenkins, Chris Givens, Trumaine Johnson, Daryl Richardson and Greg Zuerlein. These are all productive players who are part of the Rams' foundation. The jury is still out on Brian Quick, Isaiah Pead and Rok Watkins.

The Rams, of course, will have six more picks in the top two rounds of the next two drafts. While it is probably too much to expect that every pick will be a "hit," the Rams will need to find at least a couple of impact players with these picks, and 2-3 more players who can be productive starters.

The fantasy football mentality of building a team through FA was never the surest road to success (See Philadelphia Eagles, 2011-12). But today, more than ever, building through the draft is the key.

As long as you make the right picks.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-10-2013 at 12:21 PM.

thoey is offline Registered User

Re: The Rams are playing the game correctly, as long as...

Agree with everything you said. The draft is the true way to build a team, free agency is just a way to temporarily fill a hole.

But, I am curious who this "Robert Kendricks" fellow is. Is that Lance's brother? Haven't seen him on the field yet.
    This space for rent...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    But, I am curious who this "Robert Kendricks" fellow is. Is that Lance's brother? Haven't seen him on the field yet.
    Only his close friends call him "Robert."
    thoey likes this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

I think the draft should be the core but free agency, waiver wire and making trades all have a roll in the process IMO. Look at the free agents we brought in this year not to shabby if you ask me. Les and Fisher did a nice job drafting and they also hit in free agency this year.

Robert Turner
    Jo-Lonn Dunbar
    William Hayes
    Kendall Langford
    Scott Wells
    Cortland Finnegan

Considering how bad our drafts have been and our free agents bust, this year was a really sweet year. I hope this was the norm and not a fluke.

The other area that I think we did a great job was UDFA.

Sammy Brown
    Matt Conrath
    Matt Daniels
    Austin Davis
    Cory Harkey
    Johnny Hekker
    Rodney McLeod

18% of the NFL is made up of UDFA, I have never seen the Rams sign so many and move so fast as this regime did at the end of the draft.

Wavier wire, Les worked it all year.

Joe Barksdale
    Chris Williams
    Trance Ganaway
    Shelley Smith

I do agree with Av this regime is doing it right.
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-10-2013 at 09:57 PM.

citr92 is offline Registered User

rooting for matt daniels to be a safety, rodney mcleod as well, he's pretty good

i'm also curious about how austin davis is going to develop, i think he'll start somewhere in the nfl at some point