Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Rams Ponder Pushing Pace Sooner

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams Ponder Pushing Pace Sooner

Rams ponder pushing pace sooner

September, 15, 2013
    Sep 15
    By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

ATLANTA -- A game and a half into the 2013 season, the only hurrying being done by the St. Louis Rams' offense was to hurry up and wait for the green light from offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer to begin pushing the tempo.

After an offseason of building an offense capable of allowing quarterback Sam Bradford to use the up-tempo pace at which he seems most comfortable, the Rams maintained they would be game-plan specific with their offensive approach this season.

Apparently, the game plan didn’t call for Bradford’s foot to push down too hard on the gas pedal in a 31-24 loss to the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday as the Rams' offense was stuck in neutral or reverse far too often in the game’s first 30 minutes.

Entering the locker room at halftime, the Rams found themselves in a 24-3 hole and searching for answers on how to rev up the offense. A few more failed drives into the third quarter; Schottenheimer and Bradford had a quick discussion about speeding things up.

“I thought it was a great idea, just change it up,” Bradford said. “Obviously we were struggling in what we were trying to do at that point. It put them on their heels a little bit, got us going.”

According to Bradford, the Rams have two up-tempo packages in the playbook, one, which is more of a two-minute drill, and another, which pushes the pace, but not to the extent of the two-minute approach.

Trailing by three touchdowns and with nothing to lose, the Rams opted for the fastest pace. They covered 74 yards in six plays for their first touchdown near the end of the third quarter.

The next drive yielded similar results as the Rams marched 75 yards on eight snaps for another score. They scored again on an 80-yard drive for the final margin.

After going 12-of-21 for 124 yards with no touchdowns and an interception in the first half, Bradford went 20-of-34 for 228 yards and three touchdowns with no interceptions in the second.

“I think it made a pretty big difference,” Bradford said. “It seemed to just put them on their heels a little bit. I don’t think they were expecting us to go to it that quickly. We put our guys in space and they did a great job creating separation and then running with the ball after the catch, too. It was positive to see us perform that way in our no huddle.”

The Rams’ success with the no-huddle approach left many wondering why the team didn’t choose to go to it earlier. Part of the reason was awful field position that plagued them for the majority of the first three quarters. It’s hard to go without a huddle when you are backed up near your goal line repeatedly. It also can be difficult to sustain tempo for long periods of time even though the Rams do work on pace in practice.

So could the Rams start turning their change-up into a fastball?

“That is tough to say,” Bradford said. “I think we put a lot of pressure on them and wear them down, but at the same time to play that way for an entire game and those guys up front, that is pretty tough on them to do that. But you never know, and next week maybe it’s something we’ll go to a little sooner if we’re struggling early.”

Trevor is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Ponder Pushing Pace Sooner

How about they do the "up tempo" the whole game. That'll be greaaat.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

I have a feeling we're holding back on the early no huddle offense to prevent other teams from being informed about it via film tape. We might just unleash it against the Whiners since intra-divisional matchups are crucial in the season. It's too bad this possibility of holding back on offense is costing us wins but at least it's providing experience for our offense to improve on the normal-paced aspects of the game.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Sounds like a good idea.

SotaRam is offline Registered User

Yeah, lets do that, but in the first half too!

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Flippin' Ram View Post
    I have a feeling we're holding back on the early no huddle offense to prevent other teams from being informed about it via film tape. We might just unleash it against the Whiners since intra-divisional matchups are crucial in the season. It's too bad this possibility of holding back on offense is costing us wins but at least it's providing experience for our offense to improve on the normal-paced aspects of the game.
    Fisher said a while back that he had big plans for Tavon Austin and didn't want to reveal anything too early. Which leads me to believe he has other plans for the "big" games.

vanillasue is offline Registered User

Mentioned it last week that we should have pushed harder - Maybe Scottenheimer will get the message now - especially against premier teams - No time to waste.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Fisher said a while back that he had big plans for Tavon Austin and didn't want to reveal anything too early. Which leads me to believe he has other plans for the "big" games.
    Every game should be a big game.

supachump is offline Registered User

That is B.S. Hold stuff back for another game? Use it now. Every game counts. If they were saving it for divisional games they would of done more against the Cards. There is another reason. My money is on no trust from the coaches.

Bradford has always been good at up tempo. Even previous years before we had decent weapons. It was a waste not doing it then, it is a waste not doing it now. Just do it!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

There's a simple reason teams don't go up tempo for the whole game. It is unbelievably tiring. If this were easily done, more teams would do it.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    There's a simple reason teams don't go up tempo for the whole game. It is unbelievably tiring. If this were easily done, more teams would do it.
    Maybe the Rams should just go with what works and eliminate plays that don't work?

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I think it comes down to the Rams realizing that they are now a "pass to set up the run" rather than a "run to set up the pass" offense.
    Varg6 likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I have to admit this is really discouraging if Bradford is not trying hiding the fact that we are going to use the no huddle a lot this year.

We have heard all off season that we will find and exploit the mismatch right? The best way to get mismatches is to go no huddle and NOT let the defense change the personnel grouping. You don't have to go really fast up tempo, you can sugar huddle.

I don't think "up tempo" has to happen the entire game, but it can certainly be an option at any point of a game, especially since Bradford performs well in it. Using it to jump start a stagnant offense just makes sense, saving it, or trying to keep it under wraps doesn't make much sense.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

As I was saying the first half the play calling was horrible. From watching that game, if we can fix the penalties We have a really great team. That is playoff bound. I'm still on the fence as to whether Bradford is an Elite QB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast