AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

The Rams and a (potential) lockout

I've been thinking more about this lately as it seems more and more inevitable. The Rams and every other team face a very strong possibility of not playing next year (or part of next year). I read an article that the St. Louis Post put up the other day about how the Rams would be in a worse position that most teams because the were a possible break out team next year.

I don't really understand this. The way I see it, the teams that will be hurting the most are the ones with the ones with the highest number of older players. Players in their 30's..The Rams have a few of these players at key positions like Fred Robbins or James Hall, but overall aren't the Rams one of the youngest teams in the league? It seems to me like any reason that a lockout would be bad for the Rams would also be bad for every team, but the Rams wouldn't be in as bad a situation as a team with an older QB's, no QB's, older WR's etc. Positions where players biological clocks are very important, and are winding down.

I've read the argument that the Rams are poised to break out next year. I really hope they are too. But why would they somehow lose that break out potential? IMO, they'd be in the same boat a year later (or whenever they start playing), just with a bit more talent. I could just be looking at this the wrong way, so if someone sees negatives unique to the Rams, or a different way of looking at it, I'd love to get some feedback.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Re: The Rams and a (potential) lockout

One obvious reason is that the team as a whole wouldnt have the regular time allowed to learn McDaniels new and complex offense. Most other teams in the NFL won't have this problem. Also, we have to do this with a second year QB and recievers who either will join the team in the offseason through draft and free agency, or were injured all or most of last year(Avery,Clayton).

Sammy B. seems pretty sharp though, I'm confident they'll be ready IF we play next year.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

True, I agree a lockout that ended with the season partially played, or reduced prep time will be bad news for any team installing a new offense. I was thinking more like, no football for 12 months, cancellation of the season, but I guess it would be more likely that they get the deal done in time for some of the games to be played.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I really hope there is no lockout. It would affect all 32 teams but once again ATL you nailed it brother! It would certainly affect us a bit more because of the new offense that we need to install.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I'm sure we all hope there's no lockout but I think ATL's point is well made. A whole year lost would hurt older teams a lot more; the backlog of FAs when a deal is eventually struck would be a lot worse,especially,imo . Don't tell me The Rams won't find a way to get the important guys the playbook & probably some sort of backroom Skype video lectures as well.I'd be willing to bet it's already going on. The Rams have been all too casual about when & how Sam and McD will get together; like it's no big deal which it obviously is.Not sayin' The Four Pillars are crumbling but there's probably some shenanigans going on in their shadows.

Even a short stall until, say, June wouldn't be that big a disadvantage for The Rams simply because I don't think either Avery nor Clayton, for egs, will be off PUP.Who exactly is Sam gonna be installing this offense with before TC ? And while I'm sure it's preferable to get everyone together & have guys working out at the facility/rehabbing, this isn't the 70s; these guys aren't going to fly in on the redeye from Vegas ( well...maybe SJ...lol...) and twenty pounds overweight ( definitely not SJ...lol..) & Billy & the Young Sith will take care of the clandestine correspondence course.We ain't even talkin' about practice; we're talkin' about READING !! Or in Mardy's case, making mudpies & fingerpainting.

YuccaTrash is offline Registered User

From what ive read that rams were planning on having McDaniels meet with Bradford as much as possible in Febuary but the league shut it down because it wouldnt be allowed under normal off-season rules. I dont see the rams trying to take a backdoor way to getting any info out because of 3 reasons, McDaniels will have more eyes on him then a normal OC, Spags seems like more of a stand up kinda guy and wouldnt allow it anything like that goin on with his staff and I dont see that front office risking any(more) bad PR or losing any future draft picks with how much progress we have made in the last year.

I do feel that the rams have much more to lose then other teams. Like others have said with the new offense, completely new offense. Also because we are a young team, with a 2nd year QB. Its the hardest position on the field and the most important. Im hoping he doesnt have a sophomore slump but I do think this situation doesnt help at all.