Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Rams preach patience with Brian Quick

  1. #1
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    49
    Posts
    8,615
    Rep Power
    65

    Rams preach patience with Brian Quick

    By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

    EARTH CITY, Mo. -- When San Francisco traded 2012 first-round receiver A.J. Jenkins to Kansas City after one season Monday afternoon, the Niners sent a clear signal that they don’t have much time to wait for future stocks to cash in at a position of immediate need.

    With primary receiver Michael Crabtree out because of an Achilles injury, the Niners need production and they need it now. Patience can be a virtue in the NFL but not if you’re a team on the cusp of winning the Super Bowl.

    In St. Louis, the Rams have a young receiver -- drafted just three spots after the Niners took Jenkins with the 30th pick -- who has yet to reach his potential in Brian Quick.

    But don’t expect the Rams to have the same quick trigger that San Francisco had with Jenkins just because he hasn’t turned potential into production at this early stage in his career.

    Given Quick’s raw ability, his recent improvement on the practice field, the addition of other weapons around him and the stage of development of the young team as a whole, the Rams have the luxury of being able to wait for Quick to develop.

    Rams' Brian Quick said it's all about consistency for him to become a productive NFL receiver.
    “It’s very easy to have patience because we knew when we drafted him it was going to take some time for him to grasp it, but now he has really put the time in and he’s grasping it very well,” receivers coach Ray Sherman said. “I am very pleased with what he’s doing. He’s a guy that before I might have to tell him a couple times to do something but now you can tell him one time and he gets it and understands what he needs to do. I am really impressed with the way he’s coming around.”

    Before the 2012 NFL draft, Jenkins was one of a handful of wide receivers the Rams had targeted as a potential early selection. Top decision makers such as coach Jeff Fisher, general manager Les Snead, Sherman and others went on a mini tour of the country looking at the likes of Jenkins, Justin Blackmon, Michael Floyd and Kendall Wright.

    The visit to see Quick ended up sealing the deal as he put on a show in a private workout. At 6-foot-3, 220 pounds with 4.53 speed in the 40-yard dash, Quick brought a size and speed combination previously lacking in the Rams receiver corps.

    What Quick didn’t bring was much in the way of polish. Coming from tiny Appalachian State, Quick was widely regarded as a work in progress and didn’t get much in the way of opportunity in his rookie season.

    As a rookie, Quick at least showed small glimpses of what could be, something Jenkins didn’t do in just 35 regular-season snaps spread out over three games. Quick finished with 11 catches for 156 yards and two touchdowns.

    Quick often tantalized on the practice field but never put it together on a consistent basis, something that has plagued him in this year’s training camp as well, though there has been an uptick in that department in the past couple of weeks.

    “I feel like I am eliminating my mistakes and my route running is getting way better,” Quick said. “Now it’s just being consistent. It’s going to take consistency and doing it all the time.”

    Entering this season, more is expected of Quick but the Rams don’t have the pressing urgency of a team like San Francisco for him to be a regular contributor right away.

    The additions of Tavon Austin and Jared Cook, combined with the development of Chris Givens, provide a bit of a cushion for Quick to continue to develop.

    “No question, it helps,” Sherman said. “Also, those guys spent time together this offseason and trained together, so I think that camaraderie and bond they put together is also a plus. He listens and he watches and he has a chance to see it and he only can get better.”

    Aside from learning to be a better route runner and having a better grasp on the playbook, two things Sherman has noticed in him so far, a big part of Quick taking the next step is building confidence.

    By his own admission, Quick has not always stepped on the field knowing that he can get the job done. That manifested itself anytime he’s had a drop or a miscue which would lead to another and another. Thus the inconsistent tag that’s followed him to this point.

    Recently, Quick has pieced together a string of solid practices and appears to be finding ways to move on from mistakes faster.

    “You have to have things go your way in order to have that confidence,” Quick said. “It was always there but certain things have to happen. I feel like this year, right now, my confidence is building.”

    Quick is well aware of the desire amongst fans for him to be an impact player. Considering his lofty draft status, it’s understandable that fans want a quick return on the investment.

    After seeing what San Francisco did on Monday, though, perhaps the alternative of having a little patience and waiting for a young wideout to develop suddenly seems like a better alternative than giving up on a top pick so quickly.

    “I just have to come in every day and be patient,” Quick said. “I have all these teammates and they back me up. I am blessed to be here and this coaching staff is patient with me. I just have to make sure I know my plays and I do the right things to prepare for the games and practice the right way. I feel like that’s the best part about it. There’s no pressure on me. I put pressure on myself but I feel like you have to. You have to and that’s what is going to make you a better player. You have to push yourself and make yourself work to get better and make those strides.”

    For now, Quick is working with the second-team offense, though he spent Monday’s practice getting repetitions with the first team because of the excused absence of Austin.

    The Rams will likely keep five or six receivers and Quick will almost certainly be one of them. In an ideal world, he’d probably win the starting job opposite Givens and allow the Rams to have a big-bodied option to complement Givens and Austin.

    Even if that doesn’t come to fruition before the season or even during it, the Rams seem committed to seeing this project through before making any type of judgment.

    “I’ve seen that growth in him,” Sherman said. “He’s more consistent now. As a puppy, he wasn’t sure, last year he wasn’t sure on certain things and he was still growing. He’s now starting to step up. I don’t have to say as much to him now because he has an understanding of what we want and what we are trying to do but he’s getting better and better. I am really pleased with where he is right now.”
    Last edited by Rambos; -08-20-2013 at 03:26 PM.


  2. #2
    thoey's Avatar
    thoey is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas, United States
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,005
    Rep Power
    32

    Re: Rams preach patience with Brian Quick

    Maybe he should tape a copy of the SF trade article to his locker so he sees it every day. Let it motivate him on what "NFL" stands for. Not For Long. It's ok to take some time with him to get "there", but eventually, the time will either be now, or it will be gone...
    This space for rent...

  3. #3
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,582
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: Rams preach patience with Brian Quick

    I think mentioning AJ Jenkins and Brian Quick in the same article is unfair on Quick.

    Quick has caught passes in the NFL, started a game, and also scored two TDs. Jenkins barely appeared in three games and has no catches in his "career"

  4. #4
    macrammer's Avatar
    macrammer is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Cal
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,846
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: Rams preach patience with Brian Quick

    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I think mentioning AJ Jenkins and Brian Quick in the same article is unfair on Quick.

    Quick has caught passes in the NFL, started a game, and also scored two TDs. Jenkins barely appeared in three games and has no catches in his "career"
    I disagree. Since both were drafted in close proximity, I think the comparison is correct.

    I do not recall anyone in the front office saying that Quick was a project. I recall many of us were quite excited at the prospect of Quick....having been drafted so high. thank goodness givens came in and took care of biz and helped take some heat off of Quick.

    So now he is a project of sorts. And we have time now to wait because we have so many proven WR's on the roster already.

    I want this kid to make it.......He has all of the intangibles but, I am concerned.
    Last edited by macrammer; -08-20-2013 at 06:38 PM.

  5. #5
    cfh128's Avatar
    cfh128 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Age
    31
    Posts
    769
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: Rams preach patience with Brian Quick

    Whatever happened to the old standby that year 3 is the breakout year for a WR? Quick hasn't even started his second year and some of you are giving up hope on the guy. Snead compared him to Vincent Jackson- a guy who never had over 700 yards until his 4th season as a pro. Give the kid some time to develop for crying out loud!
    sosa39rams likes this.

  6. #6
    Ram Dragoon's Avatar
    Ram Dragoon is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,135
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: Rams preach patience with Brian Quick

    There is another angle to B. Quick. Prior to this year they Rams didn't have a receiving core worth extolling about, so previously whom else could the Rams have on the team? Its a different season, a mostly different team WITH a receiving core. My guess is Quick has to have his breakout year this season. As patient as the Rams have been, they still play in the NFC-West and need production to keep up in the arms race against the Seagulls and 49whinners as well as stay ahead of the Cards who have improve significantly

  7. #7
    Flippin' Ram's Avatar
    Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    2,376
    Rep Power
    32

    Re: Rams preach patience with Brian Quick

    Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    I disagree. Since both were drafted in close proximity, I think the comparison is correct.

    I do not recall anyone in the front office saying that Quick was a project. I recall many of us were quite excited at the prospect of Quick....having been drafted so high.
    Seeing that he came from Appalachian State with no WR coach to groom him during those days, I figured he'd be a project. Not everyone blossoms like TO and contributes on the field right away but so far, he's had a better rookie year than Vincent Jackson did. V-Jax had 3 receptions for 59 yards during his first year with the Chargers, Quick had 11 receptions for 159 yards including 2 TDs. Now if can improve off of that, I'd be happy.

    ♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

  8. #8
    MauiRam's Avatar
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maui, Hi.
    Age
    69
    Posts
    4,604
    Rep Power
    76

    Re: Rams preach patience with Brian Quick

    Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    I do not recall anyone in the front office saying that Quick was a project. I recall many of us were quite excited at the prospect of Quick....having been drafted so high. thank goodness givens came in and took care of biz and helped take some heat off of Quick.

    So now he is a project of sorts. And we have time now to wait because we have so many proven WR's on the roster already.

    I want this kid to make it.......He has all of the intangibles but, I am concerned.
    Actually Les Snead said on a tv interview (posted on this forum way back) that Brian was going to be a "project" because of the small school etc. However, he did not make the comment immediately after Quick was drafted. When he was drafted, I remember comparisons of Quick to Terrell Owens floating around, regarding Brian's speed and physicality.

    That said, I think the Rams knew he was raw, but hoped he'd catch on sooner than later. It's later now, and though purportedly improved, he still appears to be struggling. Hopefully the light will go on for him this year - the Rams certainly could use a guy with his size/strength and speed.

  9. #9
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    7,895
    Rep Power
    66

    Re: Rams preach patience with Brian Quick

    All the above said (including the article), I really believe Quick will improve on last year's performance and as Flip said, I too would be happy!

    One can almost "see" the personal goals BQ must have for this year: numbers, consistency, etc.


  10. #10
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    18,928
    Rep Power
    147

    Re: Rams preach patience with Brian Quick

    Two things, just food for thought.

    One, conventional wisdom is it takes three years for a wide receiver to "get it" in the NFL. Does that still apply to Top 40 picks in today's game? The ***** already soured on Jenkins and traded him away, and the Chiefs gave up on Baldwin after two years and 26 games.

    The Rams can say they're willing to be patient with Quick, and ironically one reason they can is the addition of someone with even less NFL experience than Brian, but if he doesn't significantly improve in his production and ability to contribute this year, I wouldn't be shocked at all if he's on the roster bubble entering 2014. So my question is, how long is a project a project before he turns into a disappointment?

    Two, one thing that bothers me about Quick at this point is hearing how he still needs to do a better job using his size. I believe either Bruce or Holt mentioned it when they were working with the receivers during camp. Should a big guy really need to be taught how to use his size, or is that something that should come naturally?

    I understand a guy with limited experience and coaching not being a refined route runner or struggling with his breaks or the finer points of the game, but if you're someone with Quick's height, using your size to your advantage should be one of your biggest strengths and something you already bring to the table, shouldn't it? Yet it sounds like he doesn't play like a guy that's 6'3", which I think is troublesome, because if he hasn't figured out that part of his game, there's a small part of me that's worried he never will.

    I'd love to see the Vincent Jackson or T.O. comparisons come to fruition, but for every Jackson who started slowly and then became a phenom, there are probably fifty or more receivers who started slowly and then just faded away. Let's hope Quick isn't one of them, because Sam needs all the weapons he can get, and frankly, I'm not particularly impressed with the idea of Pettis starting opposite of Givens.

  11. #11
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    7,895
    Rep Power
    66

    Re: Rams preach patience with Brian Quick

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I understand a guy with limited experience and coaching not being a refined route runner or struggling with his breaks or the finer points of the game, but if you're someone with Quick's height, using your size to your advantage should be one of your biggest strengths and something you already bring to the table, shouldn't it? Yet it sounds like he doesn't play like a guy that's 6'3", which I think is troublesome, because if he hasn't figured out that part of his game, there's a small part of me that's worried he never will.
    “You have to have things go your way in order to have that confidence,” Quick said. “It was always there but certain things have to happen. I feel like this year, right now, my confidence is building.”
    Confidence, self confidence! With the support he's getting from coaches et al, I'm confident Quick is indeed building his own confidence. And of course, it will have to be proven / translated via productivity.

    Quick! It's 2013!
    Last edited by RealRam; -08-20-2013 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Text

  12. #12
    MauiRam's Avatar
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maui, Hi.
    Age
    69
    Posts
    4,604
    Rep Power
    76

    Re: Rams preach patience with Brian Quick

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

    Two, one thing that bothers me about Quick at this point is hearing how he still needs to do a better job using his size. I believe either Bruce or Holt mentioned it when they were working with the receivers during camp. Should a big guy really need to be taught how to use his size, or is that something that should come naturally?
    You mean bullying defensive backs because of his size and strength? Absolutely it should come naturally. I haven't looked up much college highlight stuff on him, but I think I will now ..

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I understand a guy with limited experience and coaching not being a refined route runner or struggling with his breaks or the finer points of the game, but if you're someone with Quick's height, using your size to your advantage should be one of your biggest strengths and something you already bring to the table, shouldn't it? Yet it sounds like he doesn't play like a guy that's 6'3", which I think is troublesome, because if he hasn't figured out that part of his game, there's a small part of me that's worried he never will.
    A mouse trapped in a lion's body? The confidence thing is a worry too. Still, I can't forget the stiff arm he put on (think it was a whiner) db, and scooted off for a td. He surely has flashed a few times snatching the ball high in the air, but ... You make good points, albeit regrettably.

  13. #13
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    49
    Posts
    8,615
    Rep Power
    65

    Re: Rams preach patience with Brian Quick

    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Confidence, self confidence! With the support he's getting from coaches et al, I'm confident Quick is indeed building his own confidence. And of course, it will have to proven / translated via productivity.

    Quick! It's 2013!
    I agree with you RealRam confidence is a big part of it. Just because Quick has the size, without confidence he will play small and he has.

    I could not understand what the deal was with Quick until I read this today.

    By his own admission, Quick has not always stepped on the field knowing that he can get the job done. That manifested itself anytime he’s had a drop or a miscue which would lead to another and another. Thus the inconsistent tag that’s followed him to this point.
    Pettis has all but disappeared in the first two games, he has one target and one drop. It would do wonders for Quick to run with Sam and the ones this week. He has gotten open but the QB play has not helped his cause.

    I'm not reading that Pettis is having great practices so I don't know what the deal is to be honest. Pettis on the outside does little for me.

  14. #14
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    7,895
    Rep Power
    66

    Re: Rams preach patience with Brian Quick

    Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    A mouse trapped in a lion's body? The confidence thing is a worry too.
    How about a lion trapped in a lamb's body? A lamb that becomes a big ferocious, fearsome RAM.

    Here's Brian Quick developing at Rams Park...



    [One of the short movies that helped me learn English - and confidence - a long, long time ago.]
    Last edited by RealRam; -08-20-2013 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Emoticon
    citr92 likes this.

  15. #15
    RebelYell's Avatar
    RebelYell is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis ,Missouri
    Posts
    2,215
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: Rams preach patience with Brian Quick

    Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    Whatever happened to the old standby that year 3 is the breakout year for a WR? Quick hasn't even started his second year and some of you are giving up hope on the guy. Snead compared him to Vincent Jackson- a guy who never had over 700 yards until his 4th season as a pro. Give the kid some time to develop for crying out loud!
    Easier to give little snippits about how the NFL stands for Not For Long than consider the facts?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Rams' Brian Quick seeking consistency
    By Rambos in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: -08-30-2013, 04:45 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: -09-24-2012, 07:22 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: -08-20-2012, 07:45 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: -05-05-2012, 11:02 AM
  5. Replies: 38
    Last Post: -04-30-2012, 06:29 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •