Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Rams preach patience with Brian Quick

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Rams preach patience with Brian Quick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Two things, just food for thought.

One, conventional wisdom is it takes three years for a wide receiver to "get it" in the NFL. Does that still apply to Top 40 picks in today's game? The ***** already soured on Jenkins and traded him away, and the Chiefs gave up on Baldwin after two years and 26 games.

The Rams can say they're willing to be patient with Quick, and ironically one reason they can is the addition of someone with even less NFL experience than Brian, but if he doesn't significantly improve in his production and ability to contribute this year, I wouldn't be shocked at all if he's on the roster bubble entering 2014. So my question is, how long is a project a project before he turns into a disappointment?

Two, one thing that bothers me about Quick at this point is hearing how he still needs to do a better job using his size. I believe either Bruce or Holt mentioned it when they were working with the receivers during camp. Should a big guy really need to be taught how to use his size, or is that something that should come naturally?

I understand a guy with limited experience and coaching not being a refined route runner or struggling with his breaks or the finer points of the game, but if you're someone with Quick's height, using your size to your advantage should be one of your biggest strengths and something you already bring to the table, shouldn't it? Yet it sounds like he doesn't play like a guy that's 6'3", which I think is troublesome, because if he hasn't figured out that part of his game, there's a small part of me that's worried he never will.

I'd love to see the Vincent Jackson or T.O. comparisons come to fruition, but for every Jackson who started slowly and then became a phenom, there are probably fifty or more receivers who started slowly and then just faded away. Let's hope Quick isn't one of them, because Sam needs all the weapons he can get, and frankly, I'm not particularly impressed with the idea of Pettis starting opposite of Givens.
    I agree with you here, Nick. If you don't naturally play to your ability (Size), I don't think you ever will. I just don't see how somebody can teach someone to use their natural physique. It all depends on where he places himself and how he goes up to get the ball, and I just don't think it's something he'll ever really fully use.

I do hope he can become a good WR. Like you, I do NOT want Pettis on that starting unit.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I agree with you here, Nick. If you don't naturally play to your ability (Size), I don't think you ever will. I just don't see how somebody can teach someone to use their natural physique. It all depends on where he places himself and how he goes up to get the ball, and I just don't think it's something he'll ever really fully use.

I do hope he can become a good WR. Like you, I do NOT want Pettis on that starting unit.
    I think you guys are not giving the full weight of not having the confidence to play and have success. One of my favorite quotes in business is "With Knowledge Comes Confidence." I think in Quick's case not having a grasp of the playbook made him unsure of his own abilities. It's hard do go out and play at the highest level when you just don't know what to do on each and every play. Quick sounds like the type of person that when he makes a mistake he would let that cause him to drop his head and play worse.

Quick has flashed in practice and in games that he can play physical. Both of his TDs showed me that. These guys are young and some need time to feel they belong in the NFL.

“It felt good,” Austin said. “I had a couple catches today. It made me feel like I’m getting a little more comfortable, got my confidence back in myself. Hopefully we just keep going along.”

Even with all the swag that TA has he still needs to prove to himself he can do what he has always done. He was down on himself after one preseason game.

This article helped me understand Quick a bit more and I'm pulling for him like we all are. He will play better how much who knows but he will.

One last note: Quick is a lot like Jared Cook, big, fast guy that has disappointed, has not lived up to his skill sets. In year five Cook seems ready to dominate! Lets hope Quick can do it much faster.
    Last edited by Rambos; -08-23-2013 at 12:57 PM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I think you guys are not giving the full weight of not having the confidence to play and have success. One of my favorite quotes in business is "With Knowledge Comes Confidence". I think in Quick's case not having a grasp of the playbook made him unsure of his own abilities. It's hard do go out and play at the highest level when you just don't know what to do on each and every play. Quick sounds like the type of person that when he makes a mistake he would let that cause him to drop his head and play worse.

Quick has flashed in practice and in games that he can play physical. Both of his TDs showed me that. These guys are young and some need time to feel they belong in the NFL.

“It felt good,” Austin said. “I had a couple catches today. It made me feel like I’m getting a little more comfortable, got my confidence back in myself. Hopefully we just keep going along.”

Even with all the swag that TA has he still needs to prove to himself he can do what he has always done. He was down on himself after one preseason game.

This article helped me understand Quick a bit more and I'm pulling for him like we all are. He will play better how much who knows but he will.

One last note: Quick is a lot like Jared Cook, big, fast guy that has disappointed, has not lived up to his skill sets. In year five Cook seems ready to dominate! Lets hope Quick can do it much faster.
    I think Quick has been steadily improving and I definitely see a role for him in our offense. I just wonder will he ever be able to use his size and physicality to the full potential? He showed a glimpse of it with a few endzone fades, but you expect a guy that big and strong to out-muscle smaller defensive backs. We'll see as time goes on. I do believe in Quick though, and I think he has earned the opportunity to start with the 1's this next pre-season game.

THE DREAM TEAM

macrammer is offline Registered User

I just read in that Quick is having trouble getting off of the line. Not good obviously.

I personally do not compare Quick to TO, Jackson or anyone. I simply want to see this kid take a BIG step forward as a WR for the RAMS. That means he has to convince the coaching staff he deserves more playing time (PLAYBOOK, practice ethic), he needs to gain SB trust to throw him the ball, he can seal of the outside when required to allow for running attack etc. If he caught 35 for 400 plus yards this year I think that would be perfect. To do that you need to PLAY.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Should a big guy really need to be taught how to use his size, or is that something that should come naturally?
    If that's the case, why have coaches? How is it that using leverage properly, judging the ball in flight to catch it at the peak, body positioning to block defenders out, manipulating defenders are all things that just come naturally as one grows? I'm over 6'3 and I never learned these things so I need to know who to blame.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -08-21-2013 at 04:36 PM.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

“You have to have things go your way in order to have that confidence,” Quick said. “It was always there but certain things have to happen."
    Not sure I agree with this. Sounds like excuse making. His confidence has to come from within, not from waiting for things to go his way.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by R8rh8rmike View Post
    ...[Quick's] confidence has to come from within, not from waiting for things to go his way.
    Like Lambert! [ See video, post #14. ]
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    If that's the case, why have coaches? How is it that using leverage properly, judging the ball in flight to catch it at the peak, body positioning to block defenders out, manipulating defenders are all things that just come naturally as one grows? I'm over 6'3 and I never learned these things so I need to know who to blame.
    sure, people can naturally have a better grasp of things like this...but it's all the little things that make all the difference that are supposed to be taught by the coaches, so i agree

thoey is offline Registered User

Easier to give little snippits about how the NFL stands for Not For Long than consider the facts?
    I was the one that mentioned Not For Long, and I still stand by it. Y'all are right, 3 years is the standard, but drafted that high, I'd like to see some improvement in year two. So, if at the end of this season, he still hasn't found his "confidence", then he will be leaning towards "a project that didn't work out" or that dreaded B word.

Finding confidence.

Sheesh, can someone remind him that his job is to play a game? Just go do your job...
    This space for rent...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I think you guys are not giving the full weight of not having the confidence to play and have success.
    I'm probably not, but that's mostly because Quick came into the league as a prospect who needed to use his size better, before he even had to worry about the size of an NFL playbook. So apparently his confidence issues pre-date his professional career, which again makes me wonder if it's something he'll ever conquer.

I think you're exaggerating the point.

Obviously there is nuance to the position that has to be taught, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a 6'3" star high school basketball player to be more physical on the field than Quick has shown to be so far.

Quoting Torry Holt from an early August ESPN blog entry: “Quick, you’re big, you are supposed to play big." The quote wasn't, "Quick, you're big, so now the coaches have to teach you how to play big."
    Last edited by Nick; -08-21-2013 at 09:16 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Actually Les Snead said on a tv interview (posted on this forum way back) that Brian was going to be a "project" because of the small school etc. However, he did not make the comment immediately after Quick was drafted. When he was drafted, I remember comparisons of Quick to Terrell Owens floating around, regarding Brian's speed and physicality.

That said, I think the Rams knew he was raw, but hoped he'd catch on sooner than later. It's later now, and though purportedly improved, he still appears to be struggling. Hopefully the light will go on for him this year - the Rams certainly could use a guy with his size/strength and speed.
    Hence the head scratching when he was selected where he was. He could have been had later. The fact that we selected TWO MORE RECEIVERS this past draft speaks as loud as can be that mistakes had been made. Didn't Jerry Rice mature in season 2?--- a receiver from......... Mississipi Valley State of all places. Others from not so well known schools --Terrell Owens and Vincent Jackson come to mind that did well early on as well.
    Last edited by punahou; -08-22-2013 at 01:07 AM.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    Hence the head scratching when he was selected where he was. He could have been had later. The fact that we selected TWO MORE RECEIVERS this past draft speaks as loud as can be that mistakes had been made. Didn't Jerry Rice mature in season 2?--- a receiver from......... Mississipi Valley State of all places. Others from not so well known schools --Terrell Owens and Vincent Jackson come to mind that did well early on as well.
    The Rams selecting two more receivers this past draft has nothing to do with Brian Quick's ability, but much more to do with the fact that the receiving corps we had prior to these past two drafts was terrible. We had Brandon Gibson starting, and Gibby isn't starting quality.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quoting Torry Holt from an early August ESPN blog entry: “Quick, you’re big, you are supposed to play big."
    That's all well and good unless he was never taught what it means to play big. What do you assume Holt means when he says Quick should play big?

Yodude is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    The fact that we selected TWO MORE RECEIVERS this past draft speaks as loud as can be that mistakes had been made.
    Actually, the 2 receivers we drafted this year had absolutely nothing to do with Quick's development (or any 'mistakes' being made) and everything to do with the fact that we let Amendola and Gibson walk in free agency.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm expecting improvement from Quick this season. I'm not comfortable with Pettis starting. Quick needs to get his confidence in line however he can. With confidence everything else will fall into place. Is this an area that Sam Bradford can help Quick? As in, when Quick is on the field look for him more. Especially during the preseason. Who knows it make just take that one game of a few catches to get this kid going.
    Rambos likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast