Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Rams preach patience with Brian Quick

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rams preach patience with Brian Quick

I think its a mistake to try to read too much into the impromptu comments made by a player when a microphone is placed in front of them. Some players are more likely to bluster, others try to stay humble. Whether the words uttered by players directly relates or translates to their play on the field is questionable.

As far as the timetable for receivers, whether a player comes from the SEC or Division 2, there is typically a learning curve. I think its premature to draw any conclusions about Quick at this point.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Confidence comes with knowledge, experience and success. Let's pretend YOU are Quick.

1. Can you effectively read a defense the exact same way as everyone else on the field and translate that into the play options that were called in the huddle? If not, an interception is likely on any type of timing route.
    2. If you were told to do a 9 step dig route, what are the odds you would count your steps?
    4. There are usually around 400 active plays in an offensive play book. How long would it take you to learn that if you've never looked at a playbook before?
    5. How long does it take to learn the language the offensive coordinator is using with complete fluency? We've had receivers who could never learn these things.
    6. A Hall of Famer tells you that you should be playing BIG! Are you 100% sure you know exactly what he means by that?

There is a reason why it takes 2-3 years.

Rambos is offline Registered User

What Holt told Quick and where coach Ray Sherman thinks Quick is now in the process.

UFR: Breakout Season for Brian Quick?

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    What Holt told Quick and where coach Ray Sherman thinks Quick is now in the process.
    Good to hear / know from Coach Sherman and from our WR himself. Thanks Rambos.

macrammer is offline Registered User

good to hear this. Now, lets see it translate to the field. I am rooting for him.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    That's all well and good unless he was never taught what it means to play big.
    Maybe the Rams should call the coach who taught Tavon Austin what it means to play quick, or the one who taught Michael Vick what it means to be athletic.

Kidding aside, I'm not talking about the finer points of advanced positional technique, the kind of finer details that all pros need to absorb in order to hone their craft. I'm talking about the basic natural instincts when it comes to using your innate abilities.

You might disagree, but I don't think using one's size should be a difficult concept for a multi-sport athlete who is 6'3" to grasp or acquire. Hopefully Quick demonstrates this season that he's figured it out so that he truly does bring a unique set of skills to the receiving corps of this offense.
    sosa39rams likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You might disagree, but I don't think using one's size should be a difficult concept for a multi-sport athlete who is 6'3" to grasp or acquire. Hopefully Quick demonstrates this season that he's figured it out so that he truly does bring a unique set of skills to the receiving corps of this offense.
    He's shown a glimpse of that in his first career TD against the Whiners albeit it's one play.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Maybe the Rams should call the coach who taught Tavon Austin what it means to play quick, or the one who taught Michael Vick what it means to be athletic.

Kidding aside, I'm not talking about the finer points of advanced positional technique, the kind of finer details that all pros need to absorb in order to hone their craft. I'm talking about the basic natural instincts when it comes to using your innate abilities.

I haven't seen any sign that Austin's quickness will stand out in the NFL until it meshes with technical consistency earned with hard work and experience, either.

It is interesting for me to read the patience forum around Quick..........Will we give Tavon the same 2 to 3 year learning window some are advocating for Quick?? I would say NO.... There is a very high bar for Tavon that escapes Mr Quick........

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    It is interesting for me to read the patience forum around Quick..........Will we give Tavon the same 2 to 3 year learning window some are advocating for Quick?? I would say NO.... There is a very high bar for Tavon that escapes Mr Quick........
    Quick was a second round pick, Tavon was a first round 8th overall. We also gave up a second round pick and moved back in the third round to get him. So yeah he needs to play well day one IMO. I posted awhile back what are the expectations and they where not over the top from the Clan.

If you go back and read any draft write up about Quick, most say he's raw and expect that he will need time to develop. So I think we all knew that going in. I bit hard on the hype from the Rams FO and thought he would play a lot more in his rookie year. Even if Quick does not start I think he starts to make a lot of big plays this year for us.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quick was a second round pick, Tavon was a first round 8th overall. We also gave up a second round pick and moved back in the third round to get him. So yeah he needs to play well day one IMO. I posted awhile back what are the expectations and they where not over the top from the Clan.
    Tavon, since being drafted, has been touted by multiple "pundits" as being the "most exciting offensive player in the draft." I agree completely that expectations for Tavon are higher due to his being picked so high. That said, a month or two before the draft, many of the draft "pundits" had TA listed anywhere from high 2nd round to mid first round. Go figure .. Somehow, enough hype was generated over Tavon that he rose dramatically in the two or so weeks leading up to the draft. Whether or not he comes close to deserving the “most exciting player” title is yet to be determined. I’ll admit that I am expecting some really noteworthy highlight reel stuff from him this year, hopefully making whiner and hag defenses look downright silly on occasion ..

Conversely - prior to the draft, Brian Quick's name was known by draft junkies, but certainly didn't have the notoriety Tavon's did.

If you go back and read any draft write up about Quick, most say he's raw and expect that he will need time to develop. So I think we all knew that going in. I bit hard on the hype from the Rams FO and thought he would play a lot more in his rookie year. Even if Quick does not start I think he starts to make a lot of big plays this year for us.
    You mean stuff like: "Still relatively raw, learning the game and might take some time to figure out how to read coverages and what it means to work like a pro. Unrefined route runner. Might require time to grasp a playbook -- can be wide-eyed and easily overloaded. Has not faced top competition. Former basketball standout and high-jumper has had to endure four positional coaches in four years (sound familiar?)and would be best with simplified assignments, but possesses a unique combination of strength and leaping ability. Might need to be brought along slowly, but clearly showed he could match up well against better competition at the Senior Bowl and become a legitimate big-play receiver." NFL projection: 2nd to 3rd round pick.

You were not alone in "biting hard" on the FO hype regarding Quick during and right after the draft. I am sure many of us were hoping “sooner than later.” Les Snead has gone on record several times saying: "You can't be scared going after guys you want in the draft." We had multiple picks in round two in 2012, yet Snead felt strongly enough about Quick that he didn't want to monkey around and hope Brian dropped. In that same vein, Les and Fish felt strongly enough about Tavon A. to trade up to the 8 spot and acquire Austin(which astonished me - I was so used to mediocrity I guess). Hopefully Les and Fish's instincts will be exonerated sometime this year. I have my fingers crossed hard!

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Tavon, since being drafted, has been touted by multiple "pundits" as being the "most exciting offensive player in the draft." I agree completely that expectations for Tavon are higher due to his being picked so high. That said, a month or two before the draft, many of the draft "pundits" had TA listed anywhere from high 2nd round to mid first round. Go figure .. Somehow, enough hype was generated over Tavon that he rose dramatically in the two or so weeks leading up to the draft. Whether or not he comes close to deserving the “most exciting player” title is yet to be determined. I’ll admit that I am expecting some really noteworthy highlight reel stuff from him this year, hopefully making whiner and hag defenses look downright silly on occasion ..

Conversely - prior to the draft, Brian Quick's name was known by draft junkies, but certainly didn't have the notoriety Tavon's did.

You mean stuff like: "Still relatively raw, learning the game and might take some time to figure out how to read coverages and what it means to work like a pro. Unrefined route runner. Might require time to grasp a playbook -- can be wide-eyed and easily overloaded. Has not faced top competition. Former basketball standout and high-jumper has had to endure four positional coaches in four years (sound familiar?)and would be best with simplified assignments, but possesses a unique combination of strength and leaping ability. Might need to be brought along slowly, but clearly showed he could match up well against better competition at the Senior Bowl and become a legitimate big-play receiver." NFL projection: 2nd to 3rd round pick.

You were not alone in "biting hard" on the FO hype regarding Quick during and right after the draft. I am sure many of us were hoping “sooner than later.” Les Snead has gone on record several times saying: "You can't be scared going after guys you want in the draft." We had multiple picks in round two in 2012, yet Snead felt strongly enough about Quick that he didn't want to monkey around and hope Brian dropped. In that same vein, Les and Fish felt strongly enough about Tavon A. to trade up to the 8 spot and acquire Austin(which astonished me - I was so used to mediocrity I guess). Hopefully Les and Fish's instincts will be exonerated sometime this year. I have my fingers crossed hard!

dang, didn't know he had a change in position coaches every year....

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Flippin' Ram View Post
    He's shown a glimpse of that in his first career TD against the Whiners albeit it's one play.
    He did. The key will be showing it more often than glimpses.

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I haven't seen any sign that Austin's quickness will stand out in the NFL until it meshes with technical consistency earned with hard work and experience, either.
    Okay, but I'm not sure how that changes my larger point.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quick went 33 rd overall and was the first pick in the 2nd round and the Rams second pick of the draft. That puts him in prime territory in my book. I am all for this kid working out and hope to see it. Sooner rather then later. As we all know, WR has not been one of our strong points so taking a project with such a high draft pick in an area whereby it was widely known we were under skilled is where my rub is. I hope my concern is all for naught and thank goodness our 4th round draft pick came through as a WR......

But, that draft year, 2012 has proven to be a tough year for a top tier drafted WR. Justin B has not hit his potential, AJ Jenkins was traded....Floyd and Wright had good first years. Hopefully, Quick will improve rather drastically this year.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123