Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AJD45 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Projected CapRoom: $16mil! ... Plus all teams

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Also, HUbison made an important comment in another thread related to our cap room. While we have an estimated $16 million in cap space, consider that a couple million will be devoted to the rookie signing pool, and that part of that will also go toward resigning our own free agents. In terms of how much we'll have to spend on the open market, I would anticipate no more than half of that figure in actual cap room in terms of factoring in the space we have for other players.
    There was also this discussion a couple weeks back: Howard on the cap situation

Some good thoughts there on the options concerning Pickett/Bruce. I don't think much has changed yet -- the cap space estimates are from January 5th, and there hasn't been any Rams news about roster/contract decisions. Curse the slow offseason!

You sure about the rookie pool? I always thought that was its own separate cap (thus was the holdup in the Richie Incognito negotiations).

But no doubt the actual figure will end up lower than $16m to work with. I do think no matter what the final number is, you gotta give the Rams FO credit for their consistent cap management.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AJD45
    You sure about the rookie pool? I always thought that was its own separate cap (thus was the holdup in the Richie Incognito negotiations).
    Rookies count against the cap just like everybody else. The hold up with Incognito was we spent almost all of our cap money, so whe didn't have as much left as what he wanted.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan
    8-10 million after we sign our FA's should allow us to get at least 2 decent pickups in FA. Again though, we may be shopping on the second tier.
    I'm not sure the figure of $8-10 million is entirely correct, and I'll explain why in a sec.

Quote Originally Posted by AJD45
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Rookies count against the cap just like everybody else. The hold up with Incognito was we spent almost all of our cap money, so whe didn't have as much left as what he wanted.
    Rookies do count against the salary cap - they don't have their own separate cap that's different from the main one we have to worry about. The hold up with Incognito is that he was asking for more money then we had available in our rookie pool; in otherwords, the Rams had signed every other rookie and had only so much space left in their rookie pool, and Incognito's demands were larger than what the Rams could offer.

The rookie pool itself is issued by the league and basically just states the maximum amount of cap space that a team can use to sign draft picks and undrafted free agents. It's based on:

1) The position a team has in the draft, since higher picks demand bigger contracts, thus giving higher positioned teams a larger pool

2) The number of overall picks a team has, since you need more room to sign 10 players than you would 6.

Also, consider that the size of contracts will increase somewhat as they do every year. So that will probably play a small factor as well.

Last year we selected anywhere from 16th or 19th in each round - the actual position will rotate every round if your team has the same record as another team. We also had more picks. So while our position is better this year, we also have fewer picks, and likely will even after compensatory picks are announced.

Our rookie pool for last year was $4,604,330, and we used all of it. I don't anticipate a huge change one way or another since our position rises but number of picks falls.

This website (Ask the Commish) estimates a cap of $92 million, so let's run with that.

-Howard Balzer reports that going into 2006, the Rams have "32 players under contract for 2006 with a cap charge of around $71 million." So that leaves the Rams with about $21 million in space.

-Then, you subtract the cap hit from releasing Turley, which for 2006 is $5.7 million. Now the Rams have about $15.3 million in cap space. There is other assorted dead money of much lesser value, so let's round off to $15 million.

-The Rams have a number of restricted free agents: Curtis, Furrey, Groce, Harris, Chris Johnson, McDonald and Aaron Walker. Assuming Curtis gets the middle tender and the rest get the smaller one, Howard estimates the total would be $5 million. So we're down to about $10 million in cap space.

-Then you have exclusive rights free agents, whose contracts are small but the Rams have eleven of them. If all are signed, that's about $3 million toward the cap. For the sake of argument, let's just say they sign half of them. Take off $1.5 million, and we're down to $8.5 million in cap room.

-Looking ahead to the draft, the Rams will probably need at least $4 million for rookies based on last year's number and this year's factors. That takes us down to $4.5 million in cap room.

-Now, not only do the Rams have $4.5 million in cap room to use on free agents, but they also have their own unrestricted players to resign (UFA for the Rams as of November include Adam Archuleta, Aveion Cason, Bryan Barker, Cameron Cleeland, Chris Massey, Corey Ivy, Damione Lewis, Jamie Martin, Rex Tucker, Roland Williams, Ryan Pickett, Terry Fair, Tom Nutten, Trev Faulk, and Tyoka Jackson) Undoubtably they won't resign them all, but names like Pickett and Archuleta will probably be negotiated with, and neither will resign on the cheap. Also consider the Rams would be wise to resign Jackson, Massey, Ivy, and Faulk. There's no telling what the 2006 cap charge on those contracts might be, but at least we know you'd have to decrease the $4.5 million in cap space because of it.

Now, restructuring/resigning Bruce could free up some space, but I guess the point I'm making is that we shouldn't go into the spring thinking we have $16 million worth of cap space to sign free agents, nor do we probably have even half of that when all things are said and done. The Rams will likely once again be looking for those second tier players who aren't superstars but could potentially come in and contribute for a modest paycheck.

AJD45 is offline Registered User

So the rookie pool is nothing more than just a number that the team can't spend more than on its rookies. Seems like they should have just called it "the rookie spending limit" or something. Good info, thanks. I fully agree with your analysis that the Rams will most likely once again be a 2nd-tier participant in the FA market, which is pretty damn good considering how much money they blew in horribly missing on last year's free agents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12